Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

Aisling and Michelle: I think a really good way for women to meet quality men is to take up a new sport or hobby in something that is somewhat dominated by men, like flying, scuba diving, kayaking, or sailing, anything like that. Or attend more carving events :-) After all, look at the responses you are getting here. The key is "male dominated". No cooking or quilting classes! In those you will be outnumbered by other women looking for the same thing.

Mainly do it for the fun of learning something new, not as just a way to meet guys. Think of that as a side benefit.

But watch out for the instructors, they will want to sleep with you, and will try various sneaky ways to make this happen. If it does, you become radioactive and the others will hate and avoid you, especially the women. As a flight instructor I see this happen a lot, and I saw it a lot in scuba classes too.

-----------------------------------------

Hey Ladies - I'm 44, a scorpio,I love puppies and other cute, cuddly things, my favorite activities are cooking, winetasting. giving blood, bringing ice cream treats to the old folks at the rest home, and shopping for hours with my special someone. Ha, Ha, Ha!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In support of the internet thing, I met my current guy (2 years and still going) on an internet site. My roommate and I got drunk one night and posted my profile for the hell of it - she was always bugging me to meet someone, and thought it might be fun. I forgot all about it until L emailed me, so I emailed him back (to be polite) and it kinda went from there ...

I have met the nicest guys at the gym. Smile, say hello, bat your eyelashes and ask for a spot, works pretty well. When the talent runs out, change gyms.

Apart from that, just be your fabulous self, don't take any ****, and recognise that he might not be perfect, but he can be trained!

Michelle,

:)

Relationship breakups suck.

aisling, i second Steve Dold's rec- try different activities. And yes, it does seem like everyone is doing match or some similar service.

Randy, re: being a "pickup artist," forget bars. Try the supermarket- I met one girlfriend there. I always see hotties in the stores. Focus on the produce section and let the innuendo flow hahaha.

Barry

Yeah, the internet works OK. I dated a girl that I met in an aviation chat room for about a year and we're still friends.

Randy is right about Match.com, I tried that once and it was a lot of fun, I met maybe about ten women but it was kind of weird, I didn't "click" with any of them and I'm not sure why. They seemed fairly normal but it felt weird. For me it just seems to work out better if I meet them by accdent, but it was definitely entertaining.

If you meet someone doing an activity, like I described above, you already have things in common and things to do together besides just sitting there at a table "getting to know each other".

I've always wanted to start an on-line dating service that worked like ebay. A guy bids the amount he is willing to spend on the date.

And of course, the most entertaining feature would be the feedback ratings...

Originally posted by Allee

Apart from that, just be your fabulous self, don't take any ****, and recognise that he might not be perfect, but he can be trained!

You probably want to start with one of us that's already housebroken, then work from there... :D

Aisling...

after two years of flirting with you, you finally come around and show some interest! (after all...I am a damn nice guy...If I do say so my damn self). Unfortunately for you (and probably for me), I recently off the market. So I gotta agree with Bordy: RUSTY, RUSTY, RUSTY!!!!

-Noah

and another thing. All this time I just assumed Michelle was Fin's wife...I guess I cant consider Bomber a Mom and Pop company?

Noah... flirting gets you nowhere, everyone flirts!!

you have to show some actual interest. ;) LOL

:p

rusty is in his 40s? or is that randy? oh hell i'm lost and i dont' want to stop for directions.... must be all the time i spend talking to GUYS. hahaha

I'm just amazed at the response this thread is getting. Aisling, seems like you have a nice following there!

Joecarve, if they are already housebroken, they are usually taken. And if they have been housebroken by someone else, they have issues. See, damned if you do......

Originally posted by Michelle

I'm just amazed at the response this thread is getting. Aisling, seems like you have a nice following there!

Joecarve, if they are already housebroken, they are usually taken. And if they have been housebroken by someone else, they have issues. See, damned if you do......

Amazed?

An available attractive female that snowboards posts that she can't find a good man in a hardcore snowboarding forum where most of the members are males who are so into snowboarding that their social lives probably have suffered a bit due to the fact they are out of town around half the weekends of the year... and now they see the chance to have their cake and eat it too (I never understood that phrase).

And you wonder why people are jumping out of the woodwork? Seems totally predictable to me... although I was surprised at how many people have tried Internet dating sites... sounds like these sites are much better established and are more viable than I had imagined.

LOL i dunno about a following... i think everyone is just as bored as i am. hahaha

but you're right about the damned if you do , damned if ya don't... soooooo true.

Originally posted by lonerider

although I was surprised at how many people have tried Internet dating sites... sounds like these sites are much better established and are more viable than I had imagined.

i was surprised at that myself... i find the online services a little creepy... at least here i'm among some friends. :rolleyes:

Amazed?

An available attractive female that snowboards posts that she can't find a good man in a hardcore snowboarding forum where most of the members are males who are so into snowboarding that their social lives probably have suffered a bit due to the fact they are out of town around half the weekends of the year... and now they see the chance to have their cake and eat it too (I never understood that phrase).

And you wonder why people are jumping out of the woodwork? Seems totally predictable to me... although I was surprised at how many people have tried Internet dating sites... sounds like these sites are much better established and are more viable than I had imagined.

How do you know we're attractive???? :) Of course, we've all seen the photo of Aisling...

You would think a guy would jump for the chance, but it's not the case. It's really hard to find a quality person in this world, guys or girls. One that you get along with, actually like spending time with and have fun with, are physically compatible, and likes to do the same things as you is unheard of. And if they are not pyscho or abusive, BONUS! I just can't believe that people actually meet, date, stay in a relationship, get married, and stay married. And have a good, fun marriage! I'm a skeptic, I have to admit. I know they are out there, because a lot of you are experiencing them, but for some people it's not in the stars.

And I am also amazed at the people who have tried internet dating. I too find them creepy, but at this point in the world define creepy..... :)

So should I start a Bomberonline dating service?? I'll see what Fin has to say about that.....

How do you know we're attractive???? :) Of course, we've all seen the photo of Aisling...

And there is a photo of you in the Profile section of BOL.

You would think a guy would jump for the chance, but it's not the case. It's really hard to find a quality person in this world, guys or girls. One that you get along with, actually like spending time with and have fun with, are physically compatible, and likes to do the same things as you is unheard of. And if they are not pyscho or abusive, BONUS! I just can't believe that people actually meet, date, stay in a relationship, get married, and stay married. And have a good, fun marriage! I'm a skeptic, I have to admit. I know they are out there, because a lot of you are experiencing them, but for some people it's not in the stars. [/b]

My theory is that guys and girls look in all the wrong places... basically if you meet someone at a place you are looking to "meet" someone (bars, clubs, ultimate fighting championships...) they are automatically probably not the person you are looking to meet. At least how is seems to me. Usually there is a chance encounter and you hit it off... So basically the way to find someone is to *not* look for someone... and have them find you! (very zen-like isn't it?) This will greatly decrease the number of people you meet... but I hypothesize that it improves the quality of people you meet.

My theory is that guys and girls look in all the wrong places... basically if you meet someone at a place you are looking to "meet" someone (bars, clubs, ultimate fighting championships...) they are automatically probably not the person you are looking to meet. At least how is seems to me. Usually there is a chance encounter and you hit it off... So basically the way to find someone is to *not* look for someone... and have them find you! (very zen-like isn't it?) This will greatly decrease the number of people you meet... but I hypothesize that it improves the quality of people you meet.

I have to agree 100% with that!!! Not once have I ever met anyone REALLY interesting in a bar/club/UFC. Oh, they are nice people, but totally NOT what I am looking for.

All the successfull relationships I've had (All two of them, including my current!) have been with people I met by chance. IMO, those are more fun, too!!!

:D

And there is a photo of you in the Profile section of BOL.

oh i'm never lookin really... i usually get hit over the head with a frying pan LOL

really i'm just venting... and michelle is right about everything ... cause i'm a complete skeptic lately and its for very good reasons!

Originally posted by Aisling

oh i'm never lookin really... i usually get hit over the head with a frying pan LOL

That's what happened to me! I certainly wasn't looking either. Sometimes it just happens, and you can't help it.

I can't believe someone thinks I'm right???? WOW, what a bonus for the evening.... :):)

oooh. rusty is from NH... he'd have to be a reaaaaaaaally nice guy for me to travel for him

Well I don't know if I'm that nice...maybe just reaaally nice and a little evil. *insert wry smile*

Jheese, ya make it sound like NH is another country. I could practically throw rock into MA from my house.

I think that's Randy that's in his 40's, (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm not quite there yet. Another 6 years before I join those ranks.

Billy/Noah...Thanks for the cheering section, that cracked me up.

always willing to help out a fellow new hampshire boy...I used to live in Newbury and ride sunapee...I know how hard it is find a good one in the area.

Aisling - Dont be afraid of younger men! RUS-TY RUS-TY RUS-TY!!!!

Guest Randy S.

Yes, its me who is the old fart at 41. It hasn't slowed me down too much though. Oh, and I used to live in NH. I grew up in Bedford. In high school I ski raced at Pat's Peak and McIntyre and did a lot of skiing at Cannon, Loon, Waterville, Killington, Stowe and Sunday River. I can't say that I miss it too much though. We have pretty amazing weather and riding here in CA. Oh, and lots of good looking women - even good looking women who are 40+. I think I'll refrain from chiming in on the debate about whether marriage is great or marriage sucks. I've lived through both stages and I'm quite happy where I am. Aisling & Michelle, when you sign up for match.com, be sure to wink at me (screen name is sinecure - just do a search).

Gotta chime in here. I was married for 24 years and then had 8 off for good behavior. Jumped back into the fray and we just had our 4th anniversary.

In the intervening years I had to be retrained. The last time I had been on a date was during LBJ's administration. The local Sunday night singles dance was great for dancing but I never met anyone one I wanted to go out with. Online dating was a new thing then - there were no commercial services like match.com but AOL and Prodigy had some ways to meet people. By my count I had 17 different dates that way and all were enjoyable. It was clear many wouldn't go beyond the first date but we still had a nice time. A few developed into short term relationships.

It wasn't until I joined a Connecticut-based ski club that I met women I was interested in. That's where I met my wife. The club is a social club as much as it is a winter sports club. It's as active in the summer as it is in the winter. See: www.mtlski.com

My ski club welcomes boarders and I suspect that's true of most others. check your local area to see if there is a comparable organization.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Randy S.

even good looking women who are 40+.

What does that mean???

Have you guys seen this? This should be the qualities all men should look for, no matter what the age.

Over 40

As I grow in age, I value women who are over 40 most of all. Here

are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night to

ask, What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit

around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And

it's usually something more interesting.

A woman over 40 knows herself well enough to be assured in who she

is,what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the

age of 40 give a damn what you might think about her or what she's

doing.

Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match

with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant.

Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if

they think they can get away with it...

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know

what it's like to be unappreciated.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins

to a woman over 40. They always know.

A woman over 40 looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is

not true of younger women or drag queens.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier

than her younger counterpart.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off

you are a jerk if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to

wonder where you stand with her....

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons.

Unfortunately, it's not always reciprocal. For every stunning,

smart, well-coiffed, hot woman of 40+, there is a bald, paunchy

relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-

old waitress.

Ladies, I apologize for all of us.

Andy Rooney