Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

Rumors have been circulating about the Bush administration establishing re-education camps in which liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer and watch NASCAR.

Oh god, a fate worse than death indeed. Hey, only seven thousand more laps to go! Why do they only turn one way?! Why am I drinking Bud Lite?!

I am ashamed of my country's favorite sports ;)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, a fate worse than death indeed. Hey, only seven thousand more laps to go! Why do they only turn one way?! Why am I drinking Bud Lite?!

that brings up something I always wonder about. I never understood why nascar and indy are favored here more than more complicated types of racing such as F1 or dozens of other race leagues around the world. I think formula cars are much more impressive and more exciting to watch and seems to take much more skill. 500 laps on an oval doesn't seem too thrilling.

As for beer, as i said before, I drink whatever is at the party. Not too picky.

As for beer, as i said before, I drink whatever is at the party. Not too picky.

So did I at your age. Two paychecks after graduating from college, it was really hard to drink pisswater any more. Now that I'm in Oregon, the microbrew capital of the USA, visiting my folks in Jersey is tough because the closest thing to good beer they sell in stores around there is Sierra Nevada Pale and Sam Adams, and that's not very close IMHO...

So did I at your age. Two paychecks after graduating from college, it was really hard to drink pisswater any more. Now that I'm in Oregon, the microbrew capital of the USA, visiting my folks in Jersey is tough because the closest thing to good beer they sell in stores around there is Sierra Nevada Pale and Sam Adams, and that's not very close IMHO...

I'll have to try some out sometime. Boston beer works has some good stuff I heard, but I havent got to try it yet. Being underage and having a really crappy fake id (I'm British :D) I'm limited to buying whatever is in Chinatown, and its rare I ever make that trip because hauling back beer is a pain.

my 20th bday is in a week and a half so I'm almost there. But still, i got 5+ years of college ahead too

:barf:

The longest races are only three hundred laps or so. And it gives thousands of people something to do on Saturdays and Sundays, consumes millions of dollars in fuels, rubbers and other resources. Our economy would collapse without Nascar. And besides all that I do watch it and enjoy it once in a while.

As for Bud Lite if you drink it ice cold and slam it before the it can warm up enough to taste anything it is an excellent rehydration mechanism. Warning: Do not allow beer to slow down in the mouth area.

Now about Sam Adams, Mike T, I think we have always been amiable about things on this forum but you have dragged Sammy into something undeserved. They have several excellent beers, but I am obviously not in the microbrew capital of the wherever. Most microbrews are too sweet and too much sugar for my taste.

Not what does this have to do with relationships or sex?

:rolleyes:

NASCAR is a mystery to me. I was working in DC when Earnhardt died - front page news, 5 days running. Wayne Gretzky could die of a heart attack while getting serviced by a tranny hooker and it wouldn't make the front page for a week in Canada.

well at least we are getting back to relationships and sex...

500 laps on an oval doesn't seem too thrilling.

You should see the neck muscles, though!! Seriously, there is a lot of strategy involved at any racing style, nascar is only succesful because of the packaging, and the fact that you can usually see the the whole thing from one seat. I think the Isle of Mann is the greatest, but you only get to see only glimpses of it. And this is the most seriously hijacked thread ever!!

You should see the neck muscles, though!! Seriously, there is a lot of strategy involved at any racing style, nascar is only succesful because of the packaging, and the fact that you can usually see the the whole thing from one seat. I think the Isle of Mann is the greatest, but you only get to see only glimpses of it. And this is the most seriously hijacked thread ever!!

I know there is tons of stragedy that goes into nascar, and due to the simple course layout, drafting is more important than ever, but I just can't see the excitement. Sure you can see it from one spot and it makes no difference where you sit but I don't see how it can draw the crowds it draws.

I just got a kick ass idea!! i figured a way to combine my love for snowboarding and love for rally racing. Take a trip to Europe sometime soon and kill two birds with one stone. I'm so jealous of the Europeans, cept most people from Europe that I've talked to hate the Euro.

How can you hijack an off topic thread? it has yet to be done.

Edit: I've figured it out. Only way we can hijack this thread is talk about hardbooting. :biggthump

Why would they hate the Euro? It enables them to travel more, within Europe and without. They are also attracting investments due to the unified currency. I mean, granted, it was a crap for the first few years (we have a family business in Germany) and job prospects were horrible, but it is on the upswing now.

ya the universal currency idea is great but it screwed people royally. One guy from the Netherlands said that it ruined many people and some parts of Europe have still to recover. I'm all for it, but it seemed to combine way too many economies of different strengths. I see it as trying to have America and Mexico use the same currency. It is impossible because the values are just too different.

Plus, now its more expensive to go to Europe for Americans:rolleyes:

It seems like its a currency that will dominate all eventually. I think the only major currency its second to is the Pound. Those crazy Brits.

It seems like its a currency that will dominate all eventually. I think the only major currency its second to is the Pound. Those crazy Brits.

Aren't you british? ;)

Anyway...the euro isn't to combine all the economies of europe, it is trying to eliminate them. Each member of the european union needs to bring something to the table. Germany, for example brought engineering prowess, and other stuff. Norway(or finland?) Brought its Navy to the union. Basically, the EU is a confederacy of all the participating European Nations. It really makes more sense, and while some people have been hurt by the change, the future of europe is definitley better off because of the universalization.

I remember when the Dollar was almost equal to the pound and Canadian money was like monopoly money with the USD. When I went to Nova Scotia in 1996, the exchange rate was about $0.40usd = $1cad. Oh the clinton administration...

________

Suzuki Gsx-R750 Specifications

Aren't you british? ;)

I'm about as british as General Tso's chicken:biggthump

You're defintly right that the euro is going to help in the long run, but for at least a decade, people are suffering really badly. Also, the Euro made money laundering much easier but thats none of our concern really.

Michelle, you better take him up on that offer, I traveled coast to coast in costa rica and it was an amazing experience.

Guest dragon fly jones

Phil is a sketchy dude. You may end up in some south american city doing offshore sourcing for Bomber.

The Rica would be a fun tri, just make sure phil uses his credit cards and not yours.

Could have sworn that I saw you in DIA on Thursday - or it was your clone down to the voice and everything else.

Out!

said that it came down to screwing a few of the countries that had a strong currency in the begining and then once the euro was strong screwing the countries that export expensive thing like cars outside of the countries that are part of the EU

in the end it is for the most part good for everybody as long as the euro stays stronger than the dollar

heh, thats probably why england jumps in to help out with all our recent wars, it's a good way to stay independant of the EU if the pound stays strong and the euro goes to the ****ter because the US controls the oil interests in the mid east the brits might have more leverage if they grab a peice of iran or something

China is getting into oil too right now so they will also be one of the major players in a few years, especially when it comes to negotiating with the U.S. and U.K.

It is true, for exports the euro is crap- esp for Germany. Who wants to buy more expensive stuff? But ... well, there will always be a market for an M3. Did ou guys know that they also make cruise ships?? I found this out because the safe in our room was manufactured in my mom's hometown and sure enough- my Aunt's town is one of the major building spots. Just an interesting tid-bit.

Phil's promised to take me to Costa Rica, if anyone cares. :1luvu:

LETS SEE...THE MERITS OF THE EURO...OR A BUDDING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PHIL AND MICHELLE...

PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY REASON I SEE TO TALK ABOUT THE EURO ON THIS THREAD IS IF PHIL TRY'S TO BUY HIS WAY THROUGH HIS CENTRAL AMERICAN HONEYMOON WITH THEM...

But ... well, there will always be a market for an M3. Did ou guys know that they also make cruise ships?? I found this out because the safe in our room was manufactured in my mom's hometown and sure enough- my Aunt's town is one of the major building spots. Just an interesting tid-bit.

But do you know that BMW started out in Airplanes? Look at the BMW emblem and you'll see that its a White Prop on a blue sky.

________

H4 Transmission