Note to New Members ×

Fintec Release Debacle!

barryj

Was having a pretty good start to the day running some laps on the Olympic run at Heavenly with my Little Red Corvette when after my 4th lap pulling into the lift my rear Fintec won't release!   

Ugh!  When I pulled the release cable I felt tension/pressure on the cable  but the Fintecs just won't let go.  I'd been here before many years ago with Fintecs but that time it was the cable that let go.

So I knew my day was done and released the front boot and skated with the rear boot locked in, from the lift uphill to access the main run back to the Stagecoach lift/parking lot.  That was a good workout but got up to the trail intersection and stepped back in and  rode back down in defeat.

I haven't taken the Fintec apart yet but when I got my Fintec/boot off the TD3 SW SI with a punch, when you pull the release cable one of the pins is  not retracting all the way like the other side. 

Of course from my 1st Fintec failure I now carry a spare cable but this seems like an inner arm or inner spring failure which I haven't got parts for.  Ugh!!

Anybody seen this??? 

Yep,  upon further disassembly one of the inner arms broke off where it makes contact with one of the springs.  Part B  -  Inner Arm

Even in the Bomber parts photo of Fintec innards it's hard to discern the inner arm as its under the long arm mechanism that moves the two inner arms unless you've dissected one of these bad boys before.   

Now I'm trying to rig a way to ride tomorrow ....I could switch the broken Fintec to the front boot and that would get me riding........ until the end of day when I would have to pull the liner out of the stuck shell and get to do The Walk Of Shame again, walking to my car in my Intuition liner on my left foot and carrying my board under my arm with an empty front foot boot shell still attached to it!   

Ugh!  Not a good look!  :cool:

1Fintecparts_450.jpg

Edited by barryj

41 minutes ago, barryj said:

.I could switch the broken Fintec to the front boot and that would get me riding

With the arm broken, it may not be safe. Check that both pins are fixed in released position. Judging by your description the part you've broke is not the big middle arm, but one of the smaller two. You need to make sure that the spring won't wriggle out from its place. One pin is not enough to keep your boot in the binding.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, skhil said:

With the arm broken, it may not be safe

Yeah.......probably not worth the time and effort.  I'd have to pull both Fintecs off their boot and open them up and rearrange the cable release to the other side and then put them back together then put them on the other boot........ a lot of trouble and questionable safety as you mentioned.

Fortunately I've had another set of Fintecs on order for my new 425's and they should be here Mon.....so if all goes well I'll only miss two days  of riding  :angryfire

39 minutes ago, icebiker said:

How many days of riding

Hmm?   ..... a lot!   probably at least four 100+ day seasons on them and a couple of 50+/-  day seasons because of injuries and surgeries.  

It's was my every day work boot, pow boot and hard charging carving boot.........with the same pair of Fintecs since new........I had been planning to downgrade this pair of 425's/Fintecs to just workdays or pow days.....which I will still do once I get the replacement arms from Walker/Bomber....I'll also replace the red rubber walking soles while I got them torn down.

Personally I was expecting the cable to let go some time this season like last time, but here we are........

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, barryj said:

I'd have to pull both Fintecs off their boot and open them up and rearrange the cable release to the other side and then put them back together then put them on the other boot........

That wouldn't work anyway.  Those inner arms are different for left and right cable.  

1 hour ago, Wolf said:

wouldn't work

No worries,  I saw that when ordering the parts from Bomber, that they come in right or left sets of the three internal plastic pieces.     Yeah, I guess my Karma is saying I need a couple of days off!

It's always been my feeling that Intec/Fintec heels are meant to be disposable items.  Sure you can keep throwing parts at them, but what is your time worth? What is the time worth for the inconvenience of losing a half or full day riding at the mountain?  Set a limit on them. My personal limit on Intecs is 150 days.  For some guys that's only one season, for me it's three. Plenty of guys have double that so the only real science to it is how you take care of them. I spoiled myself a couple years ago with Fintecs, but I don't think the internals are different so I'll probably move these to the spare pile and start fresh next season.  Heels are $100/$150. We're riding $1,000 boards while wearing $700 boots with $1,000 season passes dressed in fruity $1,000 Arc'teryx upper and lower shells.  Buy yourself some new heels every year for cripes sake. 👍

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

3 hours ago, Kneel said:

Buy yourself some new heels

I did........just didn't get here in time, actually delayed or I would have already had them on!

But no big deal,  I like fixing stuff and for $15 + postage I'll get a couple of seasons more  out of the old  pair as I'll downgrade them and the boot just to pow duty.  :biggthump

Having run into this same sort of issue (on a few occasions), I've now converted everything back to non-step-in. It's just too complicated of a system, IMO. Neat concept, but personally I'd rather bend over and flip a piece of plastic, vs losing a day on the slopes.

Be on the look-out! Hope to have all that Step-In related gear on the For Sale forum, in a bit.

11 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

Having run into this same sort of issue (on a few occasions), I've now converted everything back to non-step-in. It's just too complicated of a system, IMO. Neat concept, but personally I'd rather bend over and flip a piece of plastic, vs losing a day on the slopes.

Be on the look-out! Hope to have all that Step-In related gear on the For Sale forum, in a bit.

Just keep working on your lumbar spine flexibility. Older, stiffer backs love step-ins!

• Like 1

Yes the cable does wear out over time, but if you follow the procedure that Fin originally had in the directions. "Push down on your heel, then pull cable to release" you will limit the strain on the internals.  Opening them up once a year to grease and inspect will lengthen the life.  I switched from toe bail to all step-in after many broken bails and a few crazy scary one footed carves.  I have not had a single step-in binding release without my desire to.  Make sure the pins are engaged and ride.

• Like 3

Well I must have jinxed myself because I broke the internals in my back foot riding today. I decided to just unclip the front and roll with it to not lose any time on the mountain because today was an excellent powder day. While I usually travel with extra parts for everything, I didn’t have the replacement parts with me today so had to ride that way the rest of they day. What used to be a second nature maneuver, skating around and even just gliding, was a huge pain. So awkward…like trying to throw a ball left handed. I always thought it was strange seeing other skwal riders get around this way with the front foot unclipped. I can see how it would be beneficial for a non step-in setup though to make clipping the toe easier.
7B6F445E-D204-4945-B24C-264B565225C7.jpeg.69dd8d0e55d263258fb6cfe0da22d09c.jpeg