Note to New Members ×

OT: Newly Found Beers For Carvers

utahcarver

At the end of December 2004, my Lennox furnace gave in to oblivion. 20 years of service and BAM! After a fine install on an overtime Saturday with a Norm Abrams look-a-like and a East-Coast-like-furnace-installers-union-bill, I took a p/t job at the local State Liquor Store to pay for it all. At first, I thought I'd made a terrible mistake.

This was short-lived when I realized I was in a Liquor Store in Utah after hours with access to innumerable bottles of booze. OMG! Now the bill is paid off. And, I'm in FAT CITY with brewskis from around the world.

For instance:

Chimay Ale : I want to try this but at almost $10 USD a bottle I'm apprehensive. Waiting for the 4th of July or the wife's shopping spree in Salt Lake City. From Belgium.

Sapporo : Fine offering; now I know why I like Most Extreme Elimination Challenge so much. Don't fall in the hot minkey urine!

Pass Time/ Boulder Beer/Ale : microbrew @ $1.25 USD a bottle, we're selling 10 to 15 cases a week and growing. Fine mild flavor, almost like an iced tea with carbonation.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout : Wow! This came from the UK?:)

Spaten : Pils, Oktoberfest, Premium, Hefewiezen, and Optimator! I've gained a pound a day drinking these German offerings. Bratwurst, sauerkraut, and brown mustard; whew, what an offering this company has. When you are finally tired of drinking American beers with little or no NATURAL carbonation these are the beers for you.

Malt Liquors: St. Ides, HG 800, Lowenbrau, Tres Pistoles, Lucifer. Can you say BARBY-Q? Serve these cold and with a Tri-tip or hotwings or ribs and onion rings and you are gonna be a King with the ladies/gents.

You Jagermeister-types: Jeez, I thought malt liquors effed me up! Philly Steak sandwich/chips and hope to have a regular BM in the morning! Mixed with Red Bull, you gotta be kiddin?

I still go to the local watering hole and order Pabst Blue Ribbon (60oz) on tap! The skater's brew fer sure!

Dude's and Dudette's, what's your favorite brew/mixer/effed-up weekender in the offffffffff season?

Happy Spring/summer cruising!

Mark

My seventeen year old son just got his madd 170 and has to wait 6 to 7 months to put it on snow. Poor guy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second the Sapporo, had my first one about 15 years ago and was impressed then too. We frequent a nice little Japanese restaurant here in town and I always order one there...When in Rome...

Spaten, another good one. Had my first one sitting at a cafe in Mt. Shasta with a big ol' Brat, boy what a meal! No wonder Sgt. Schultz weighed 300lbs...:) "HOGAN!!!"

Pyramid and Widmer make a good "Hefie", gotta have a wedge of lemon in it though. I miss Oregon Honey Beer, can't seem to get it around here anymore. Had a good local beer on Maui last year too, but can't remember the name. I'll be going back in June so I'll try to remember it. Great White from Lost Coast brewery is a good one, as is Down Town Brown, it's always a treat when we go to the coast and stop to eat in Eureka where the brew is born. Can't leave out Sierra Nevada, any flavor is good and with the brewery only an hour away, it's an easy favorite.

Cheers!

Paul

Until a few years ago Sapporo beer sold in North America was real Sapporo imported from Japan, while Kirin and Asahi were brewed under license in the U.S. (by Anheuser Busch, I believe).

Given that prices for all three kinds of beers are about the same, it's clear that Sapporo was taking a beating on profits, and a few years ago they succumbed: now their N.A. license belongs to Molson, and if you read their labels, they say "IMPORTED" and in much smaller letters "from Canada". (Note: this applies to bottles, but I think those big steel cans of Sapporo may still be imported from Japan.)

Anyway, the Molson connection is sad because Sapporo in Japan really is a good beer. Sapporo has a few other interesting beers in the Japanese market as well. When I lived in Sapporo (96-98), they were experimenting with a new high-alcohol beer called Black Star, promptly renamed to "Death Star" in my circle of friends in honor of its alcohol content - around 7% if memory serves, though I admit my memory of the nights spent drinking that beer isn't all that clear.

Another good beer from Sapporo that you _might_ be able to find in the U.S. is called Ebisu. (Or do they spell it "Yebisu"? Not sure.) Anyway, it's like a dark lager - a lot closer in flavor to a U.S. microbrew than the other major Japanese beers. As far as I know this isn't licensed so if you find any here it's the real deal, imported from Japan.

...um...not that I'm a beer fanatic or anything.

Originally posted by Dan

Until a few years ago Sapporo beer sold in North America was real Sapporo imported from Japan, while Kirin and Asahi were brewed under license in the U.S. (by Anheuser Busch, I believe).

Given that prices for all three kinds of beers are about the same, it's clear that Sapporo was taking a beating on profits, and a few years ago they succumbed: now their N.A. license belongs to Molson, and if you read their labels, they say "IMPORTED" and in much smaller letters "from Canada". (Note: this applies to bottles, but I think those big steel cans of Sapporo may still be imported from Japan.)

Anyway, the Molson connection is sad because Sapporo in Japan really is a good beer. Sapporo has a few other interesting beers in the Japanese market as well. When I lived in Sapporo (96-98), they were experimenting with a new high-alcohol beer called Black Star, promptly renamed to "Death Star" in my circle of friends in honor of its alcohol content - around 7% if memory serves, though I admit my memory of the nights spent drinking that beer isn't all that clear.

Another good beer from Sapporo that you _might_ be able to find in the U.S. is called Ebisu. (Or do they spell it "Yebisu"? Not sure.) Anyway, it's like a dark lager - a lot closer in flavor to a U.S. microbrew than the other major Japanese beers. As far as I know this isn't licensed so if you find any here it's the real deal, imported from Japan.

...um...not that I'm a beer fanatic or anything.

This explains why the Sapporo I've had recently was soo disappointing. I went through about a 5 year gap in seeing them available. I was excited to see the metal can but the beer inside was not the same.

I like Asahi, but something tells me I don't know what it's SUPPOSED to taste like-been drinking it since 95.

Spaten was good when I was younger, now I find it too sweet.

But then again, I really don't care for ales or stouts.

Mark,

Did you happen to sample any of the Christmas brews from Anchor or Sierra during December? Sometimes they sell out in a matter of days. Anchor varies their recipe for each year and has had some excellent results over the years.

Give Spanish Peaks "Honey Raspberry Ale" a try, this is the one with the black labrador on the label.

And now that the furnace is paid off, are you saving towards some new toys?

Might have to check this out www.mylifeisbeer.com

The Bar I frequent has 200 beers, and 15 Taps which never see the likes of Bud coors or miller product. Guiness is generally the most mainstream beer on draught. drink 50 different beers...get a nice pewter mug. after 10 mugs, they retire your club number and give a nice custom painted hand carved wooden plaque on the wall. (#486 is retired...Plaque #26)

Thus It is very hard for me throw down a favorite. This week, however, I put forth the following offerings:

Spaten Mai Bock. - at 13.2%, this is not a beer for the faint at heart...But damn is it good. Arrange a ride home.

Fat Tire Tire Biter. - very nice. Light and fun

Kapuziner monchshof - Malty and smooth. a darker beer

-Noah

<b>Chimay</b> is decent, but it is middle of the road at best for Belgians. If you're going to spend $10 on a 750 of beer, go for Belgian <b>Gulden Draake</b> instead. Nectar of the gods. The most drinkable and flavorful 10% beer I've found. <b>Hoegaarden</b> is the benchmark Belgian White beer. Sooo smooth. Actually I'll reach for Unibroue before Chimay. It's a Canadian Belgian-style brewery and they make some <i>fine</i> ales. Try <b>Don de Dieu</b>, <b>Maudite</b>, and <b>Fin du Monde</b>.

<b>Spaten Optimator</b> is a German fave. If you love that, you'll probably also love <b>Ayinger Celebrator</b> (cha-ching! expensive). For great German Weiss beer, check out <b>Franziskanner</b> and <b>Haaker Pschorr</b>. (hmm, I guess any beer with a double-a in the name has to be good) The standard German Lager is <b>Paulaner</b>. It brings me right back to my weekend in Munich at the start of an Alps vacation.

My favorite American beer right now is <b>Dogfish Head</b>, from Delaware of all places. Thanks to Mark Brown for the heads up. The 90 Minute IPA puts hair on your chest.

However, the ULTIMATE BEST BEER IN THE GALAXY, is <b>Leffe</b>, from Belgium. Good luck finding it. It is imported by Labatt.

MMMMMMMmmmm

2004-12-15-leffe.jpg

Jack it sounds like we've got similar "expensive" taste in beer. I've had Gulden Draake and loved it, but it was pricey. I’ve had several great Belgian beers but can’t remember their names, all I know is that the alcohol content was HIGH. After growing up in Germany and Austria I've acquired a taste for German beers, but finding them in the States has been a problem. :(

Some of my fav’s are:

DAB Pilsener

Eichener Pils

Fedschlösschen

Oettinger Pils

Paulaner (Dark, Pils, you name it)

Tucher Weizen

Stiegl Goldbräu (Salzburg)

Zipfer Pils

I’ve only been able to consistently find Paulaner and Tucher in the states, and got lucky finding a case of DAB (Dortmunder Actien Brauerei). I’ve been trying to track down Stiegl in the US, but with no luck at all. Drinking a great German beer in a great Hoffbräu Haus in Germany probably adds to the quality of the beer. You can’t get that same satisfaction in the States. Man I miss being over there. :rolleyes:

I also love a well pored Guinness or a nice smooth Oatmeal stout. For state side beers, I love any of the Harpoon beers, Ipswich Ale, Shipyard.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

My favorite American beer right now is <b>Dogfish Head</b>, from Delaware of all places. Thanks to Mark Brown for the heads up. The 90 Minute IPA puts hair on your chest.

come on Jack...Kick it up a notch. Have you tried the 120 minute IPA...

The Omegang brewery in cooperstown NY is owned by Duval, and makes several fine belgians.

...are Warsteiner and Jever. While the first is relatively easy to come by here (Colorado Springs), I've never been able to find the latter. And then there are many, many more "small" brands that even in Germany you won't find in stores more than 30miles from the brewery. My hometown of 15,000 people still supports three thriving breweries, one of them (Fuchsbeck) still is my alltime favourite. They have a full line, and their Doppelbock is to die for... Oh well, I get to go "home" about once a year - that usually costs me about 5lbs per week, but is worth every ounce!!:D

good thing about portland is all the local brews. Bridgeport's IPA and porter are good (although the porter recipe seems to have been recently modified for the worse), Full Sail has a good Half Pipe Porter. My all time favorite, however, is Kiltlifter from Four Peaks in Tempe, AZ

Originally posted by Dan

Sapporo was taking a beating on profits, and a few years ago they succumbed: now their N.A. license belongs to Molson, and if you read their labels, they say "IMPORTED" and in much smaller letters "from Canada". (Note: this applies to bottles, but I think those big steel cans of Sapporo may still be imported from Japan.)

Actually Sapporo is contract brewed by Sleeman Breweries in Ontario (including the steel cans). I always get a chuckle when I see the big "IMPORTED" on Japanese beer labels, when none of them are brewed IN Japan.

Sleeman aquired Quebec brewery Unibroue which makes a very fine 9% ABV ale Fin du monde ("End of the world").

Pat,

I've never seen the xmas beers from Anchor or Sierra. We move a bunch of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Not as much Anchor Steam, though. The Spanish Peaks Raspberry Ale that you mentioned is a clear winner.

Yes, I'm saving for an Axis 177 or 182. I can't make my mind up. I want to buy it in August so that it can be delivered well before the season starts.

Everyone has mentioned some great beers. Now, I can add some new ones to order and try. Thanks, everyone.

Mark

Warsteiner is a good German pilsner and is easy to come by, it is a lower grade pilsner for the Germans, but will still blow any US pilsners away. If I can't find a Paulaner or Tucher, I go for Warsteiner. The Cezch Urequelle sp? is also great.

Fat Tire, that's all I orded at the SES this year, can't get it in the East, but wish I could.

...hmm beer - now that's a thread I like!

I must say that I was a little bit concerned when I moved to the states - the only American beer (although it probably shouldn't be called beer) I was exposed to in Germnay was Bud...

...but I was pleasently surprised when I got here about all the great micro brews.

And if I miss my German beer I can go to BevMo - they have a great selection on European beers.

Here are some of the German beers that I like and that you can get in CA (and probably in other states, bevmo has an online shop):

Paulaner Optimator - a meal in a bottle and a quick way to get drunk.

Koestrizer - great dark beer from good old East Germany.

Radeberger - great Pilsner, also from an East German brewery.

Other good European beers:

Pilsner Urquell - I think it's the original Pilsner.

Duvel - strong (I think over 8%) Belgium beer.

Grolsch - my favorit Dutch beer.

...and then there is the huge selection of microbrews - try out the different beers from the Lake Tahoe Brewery next time you make it here...

Prost!

Originally posted by RDY_2_Carve

Oh and honestly nothing to this date has beat Heineken on tap when your sitting in an Amsterdam Cafe looking directly at the Heineken brewery...

I'm sure I would order one if I was in Amsterdam, but I honestly have never been able to understand the hype about Heineken. It just smells and tastes skunky to me.

:confused:

The beer is my friend.

Up here in the Okanangan, we have lots of little microbreweries (just like everywhere else). I like to sample as much as I can. but lately, I have been craving Guinness. I find it has abit of a smoky flavour to it. I aslo make my own beer from malt extract. I am on my fourth batch and they keep getting better and better. I soon hope to find a supplier of malts to add to the wort and try different recipes. I have a Stout conditioning in the basement as we speak.

I also realized a few weeks ago that I am not a Hophead. The last few IPA's that I have tried don't do anything for me at all.

My all time favorite....Deschutes Black Butte Porter....mmmmm the BEST!!! In fact anything from Deschutes is phenomenal!!

My fav New England brands....

Magic Hat....Hocus Pocus, Bob's 1st, Blind Faith, Heart of Darkness

Smuttynose....Shoal's Pale, Old Brown Dog, Porter, and IPA (super hoppy!!)

Harpoon....IPA

Anybody here make their own beer? You can't beat a great homebrew - TONS of flavor. I'd rather drink a fresh homebrew (about 25 cents?) over a 10$ bottle of beer any day of the week. The way most beer is shipped and treated in the stores you're not getting the full effect of its true flavors.

Homebrew kits are cheap, you get about 5 gallons of beer for between 12 - 35 bucks for the ingredients. YOU make it and it will taste better than almost anything you can buy in the store.

...in my opinion.

How about barley wine? Supercharged "beer" that gets better with age.