Note to New Members ×

Simple harmonic motion

JohnE

For most skiers and most snowboarders, variety of terrain and slope is a significant factor on where they want to ride. 

Speaking for myself and my riding buddy, variety doesn't matter much. We've ridden the same slopes hundreds of times. I've shown videos of us to skier and snowboarder friends and while they think it is pretty cool, I think they wonder why one would want to do this run after run, day after day? 

I think it has to do with the effect of simple harmonic motion on the inner ear (or vestibular system?). The back and forth motion creates dopamine and is addictive. It's hard to explain to others who haven't experienced it. It is common to snowboard carving, riding a motorcycle, driving a car on a curvy road, slalom skateboarding and in-line skating, etc. 

I can't say that I understand why this stimulates the inner ear but the only reason we stop at the end of each day is because we are exhausted.

Do others here agree? Is variety of terrain important to you or do you just carve the same runs over and over and over? 

• Like 1

Personally, I like doing the same run over and over, one can get in a Zone quicker that way, as there are very few surprises to break ones focus, the most on the front of Milk, was 24 t t b from 8:30 till 4, while 26 once on larkspur over on west 🙂 ...after 37 seasons I believe your theory totally, even Surfing with the same type movements was different because of Wave variations, I also do believe the years I spent on the sidewalk in front of our house in California, on a Skateboard, had a similar and euphoric affect as well...

• Like 1

We "crave the carve". I describe the sensation of a really carved turn as being as addictive as a drug.

I can happily do the same run over and over, but I do seek out different lines to carve on that run. I enjoy runs with a variety of gradient. I love runs that have banked walls to carve on, and bottom turn on, and rise and fall and rise and fall. If I can't carve it, then the trail is just a means of getting to where I can.

But that feeling of playing with gravity, that G-force pull as the board arcs across the fall line into and out of the turn. That is my drug, my addiction, my dopamine hit par excellence!

---------------

I see powder so rarely that that is always an unfamiliar experience, where my brain is concentrating on just staying upright mostly. I have had moments where the board starts to float and flow and that playing with gravity feeling arrives.

• Like 2

It's not a rhythmic thing for me, just following my mood at the moment. Sometimes I follow the terrain's lead. Sometimes I fight the terrain just to see if I can. 

Powder is uber rare for me too. Carl from Exegi woke me up to playing with board pitch (nose up vs. down) in the deep stuff. Sinking the tail wasn't something I even considered and it opened up a whole new world of options in trees! All of a sudden I was working in 3D. 🤯 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Corey said:

It's not a rhythmic thing for me, just following my mood at the moment. Sometimes I follow the terrain's lead. Sometimes I fight the terrain just to see if I can.

reading the terrain, fall line, etc is like reading a green when putting. or something like that. not everyone has that insight, naturally. ie. transitioning and carving up the hill. i think there's like three or four trails at each mountain that are carve friendly. we find those and rotate. the others are just the others, but also fun to explore and learn how to carve there too. crowds/conditions play a factor of course. the rhythmic feeling/zone on double fall line kills me every time. ah, the never ending pursuit and feeling of each turn... "deserving another".

• Like 1

just when i thought i kick the addiction; this thread pull me back in 🙂

maybe there is something to it:  we are all from that Primordial goo.  it's comforting floating in the ocean; feel that primal rhythm.  like running, walking, rocking to sleep.

running is active mediation and carving is like chaos mediation for me.
in addition to that "Simple harmonic motion".  carving to me is finding order/control in other wise variable/entropic environment.

getting goose bump just thinking about it.  yep; same here i can ride the same trail over and over and my ski friends don't get it at all.  making tighter turn each turn is great drill and watching from the lift picking apart the track - crap; i mess up here.  oh damn that's nice one there.

it's going to be a long summer...

7 hours ago, pow4ever said:

carving to me is finding order/control in other wise variable/entropic environment.

Ooh, I like this. 

I love the difference between how chaotic an aggressive turn is on non-perfect snow, when compared to what an outside observer sees. I'll have a run that's a bit messy with a few mistakes and recoveries, and moments later someone tells me how smooth/beautiful/whatever it looked. 

Ken Lau made an epic video about the Aspen 2010 WCS session. I saved a copy but can't find it online to share. He had a graceful side shot showing him carving, then switched to a knee-cam of the same turns. The contrast was striking! 

On 4/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, dhamann said:

reading the terrain, fall line, etc is like reading a green when putting. or something like that.

I love that analogy Dave. At each mountain there are specific pitches of a trail that give you that carve “high”! 
    I remember riding up the lift with Jason at MCC trying to see if we could pick different lines under the chair. We tried but the flow and pitch of the trail wasn’t the same.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Ooh, I like this. 

I love the difference between how chaotic an aggressive turn is on non-perfect snow, when compared to what an outside observer sees. I'll have a run that's a bit messy with a few mistakes and recoveries, and moments later someone tells me how smooth/beautiful/whatever it looked. 

Ken Lau made an epic video about the Aspen 2010 WCS session. I saved a copy but can't find it online to share. He had a graceful side shot showing him carving, then switched to a knee-cam of the same turns. The contrast was striking! 

Corey - I've watched you board - a lot. I can't ever recall a mistake.

Also - just got back from a carving day yesterday. I'd like to edit my initial premise: simple harmonic motion is just one aspect of carving: when your rhythm causes you to spring from one edge to the other - that is simple harmonic motion. However most of my carves are much lower frequency, much higher amplitude than SHM.  These turns still get the dopamine rush and are still addictive. 

Thanks for the link. I do remember seeing that video (or a portion of it) before. It explains pretty well the physiology of why the back and forth motion is so addictive. We rode yesterday and kept doing the same 6 or so runs over and over until we could barely stand up. I used to rollerblade a lot back in the 90s. When you get good enough the sensation comes close to carving - but nothing beats carving!

LUUUVVV SLOMO!!! Lateral acceleration ftw!  Defying/manipulating gravity is dopamine inducing.  Throwing your body down and transmitting the speed of that fall into the board and across the fall line back upright to do it again is the greatest most addictive activity I've ever done. And if I can surf big open pow the same day my life is complete.

I did a lot of downhill rollerblading/off-season ski training in the 90's too, making ski turns year round was awesome.

Now the onewheel lets me board year round, pavement not required. It aint layed out carves like hardshells on corduroy but it tickles the jones so I no longer dread the end of the season.

Edited by b0ardski

I would like to think that I can carve on snowboards and skis, but for me the carve on a snowboard is much more addictive. Something about being on one edge instead of two. As one of our cat guides said: "Snowboarding is fun!" But I do get the back and forth motion. Something about the snowboard allows you to vary the turn shape more.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:03 PM, Corey said:

Reloaded a backup copy I had of Ken's video to YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, Chouinard said:

Repost…lateral acceleration is the drug.

+1 for proof to get ahead into the high income levels, you statistically need to be a Type A personality asshole.

Do it now. hurry up. hurry up. hurry up. wtf? HURRY UP. No boat anchors.