Note to New Members ×

Thirst SF162- Day 5+

barryj

11 hours ago, BLOODTYPEZX10R said:

FastStik discount code is: Thirst

FastStik is quick to ship product to all who order.  Give it a try, its good stuff, quick and easy to apply and you can spend more time actually tuning your boards (like those hideous edges, lol).  Two products cover all temps.  Oh, and I don't get any money for selling FastStik.

Shopping cart says discount code is not valid - FYI

• barryj changed the title to Thirst SF162- Day 5+

Probably Day 7 or 8 focusing on the SF

So from discussion with Kneel and his SF setup I decreased rear foot forward lean about 33% and changed TD3 rear cant disks from 6' to 3', so running 3/3 and changed BTS long Red springs to Long Blues so running all Blue springs and  my turns have tightened  up considerably!   :biggthump

I was even surprised at how tight the turn shapes were looking at my tracks from the lift!  🤩

But from being more centered my heel turns have lost that famous Thirst heelside railing feeling...they look tighter than I feel I'm making but not fluid as I'm scrubbing/feathering? speed (even on green runs ), going from toeside to heelside.  :confused:

5 hours ago, Mr.E said:

that's a fairly big change all at once

Na.........I only made one change (and then test rode that change a couple of days) at a time.

I've played all  around with the stance and where my stance  is seems to be the most responsive.......so to get  More weight centered and/or back on the tail (without moving bindings) maybe I'll add some front ft. toe lift next ??

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, BLOODTYPEZX10R said:

FastStik is quick to ship product to all who order.  Give it a try, its good stuff, quick and easy to apply and you can spend more time actually tuning your boards (like those hideous edges, lol).  Two products cover all temps.  Oh, and I don't get any money for selling FastStik.

the code not working

On 2/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, BLOODTYPEZX10R said:

Thank you Mark. FYI code does not work, not sure if by bundle you meant both types of product or something else?  Ordered anyway 🙂

• 1 year later...

I have been riding my SF a lot this year lately. Got it late season last year from @bigwavedaveDidn't get a chance to ride it much last year. Everyday I ride it I fall in love with this board more and more. I can gain speed carving on low slope green runs or power through steeper blue runs with lazy wide cruisers or crank it for some tight G-force turns! Even in a foot of pow with stiff boots it performs very well without a hitch. Just short enough to navigate the steep deep powder and tree runs. Needless to say it has become my daily driver. With the SC in my quiver I'm starting to get Thirsty for the XC. What's your favorite Thirst?

Edited by snowburn

Holds like crazy, rides like a short board. Fun as all hell. Been my go to all season, it’s magic.  I’ve only have one day on another board, and that’s my sf. I just gifted one of my doneks, my donek secret is collecting dust, as is my virus

mario

Edited by big mario

Be careful, the XC pretty much replaced the SF in my quiver. Slightly larger turns with a longer EE, so it's a smoother ride on hard snow. It will turn remarkably tight in snow that is soft enough to engage the full edge length.

Since you already have a Super and the SF, it's a no brainer, get the 8rw.

When we have fresh snow, even if it's just 5 or 6", the PC becomes my favorite. That should be the next one after the 8rw.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2024 at 5:15 PM, jsil said:

Anyone still using FastStik? Seems to good to be true, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Yes.  I have a lot of boards to tune and wax on a continual basis and the benefits of 1) almost zero waste 2) extremely short application time 3) long life of the FastStik block and 4) ridiculous slick base have completely changed my routine.  

Others can chime in with their experiences but if I’m in a hurry, a board is waxed and rotobrushed in 2-3 minutes.  Another quirk is not being able to sit still in lift lines with any perceptible slope; it’s so slick I just keep moving.  I use it all season long.  Hope this helps because I was skeptical as hell too.  Just follow the rotobrush advice found elsewhere here and you’ll be good.  Have a great summer.

I ordered a combo pack of cold and warm wax to try. If it works as well you, and the few others I've found online discussing it, say then I'll be incredibly happy to retire my iron. Not being able to sit still in lift lines because it is so slick sounds like a great con to me!

I have a One Ball Jay 300mm nylon rotobrush that I picked up from tactics.com. If anyone else needs I linked it below as its the cheapest setup by far (with 10% off now off the sale prices too) if you don't mind the missing shield and only want the nylon brush.

https://www.tactics.com/one-mfg/roto-brush-drill-handle/black

https://www.tactics.com/one-mfg/roto-brush-nylon-attachment

A few questions:

• Do you still storage wax at the end of the season with standard wax?
  • How many days do you normally go before faststik waxing/brushing again? I've read 3 to 5 in other posts (and from the owner).
  • How many board waxes will you get out of the cold wax applicator? It's TINY!
  • How many passes is ideal before rotobrushing?
  • Where do you ride out here in Utah? I ride mostly PCMR Canyons.
Edited by jsil

Hello @jsil Sorry for the delay; it's the busy time of year.  I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.  Regardless, always listen to FastStik owner guy's advice over mine.  But since you asked...  

Storage wax --> Nope, I just leave on the last wax of the year.  I've spoken with builders who have much more experience tinkering with raw base material and it led me to not worry about it.  Totally up to you.

# of days between waxing --> I generally go 2X for spring snow then redo but that may be excessive.  For regular season, maybe 3X if I'm slacking.  I like fast bases so it's typically every 2X.

# of potential waxes from tiny block -->The cold wax applicator will go on and on and on.  It will make you laugh how long it lasts.  If you ride every day, you may need 2 blocks for the season.  I also use the commercial block size and it will probably last years, using it almost every day (lots of different boards).  

# of passes before rotobrushing -->  Before first application, clean base with cleaner as directed by FastStik guy.  I use a citrus cleaner from Utah Ski Gear's race shop.  Let dry, then just start rubbing directional passes (not back and forth) down the base with the FastStik.  Use a head lamp to see where it got applied, based on the different glare coming off the base.  If you have a mid-length 170 cm narrow alpine board, figure to be done rubbing on wax within a frantic minute or minute and a half.  Hell, I wax while speaking to people on the phone.  Yes, it makes a loud clacking sound as you smack the block down and make short passes.  No need to rub over the same spot twice.  I just rub it one way in sections, examine with head light and move down the board.  You'll see it transform when you hit it with pressure from the rotobrush.  You'll also laugh because your "waste" product will be the tiniest amount of dust and that's it.  No more wax on carpet, benches, floors.  

I used to hang out at Canyons but learned last year the grooming is way better at the Park City Mountain side.  Also, runs like Silver Queen and less crowded Assessment have captured my interest.  I will contact you and we can go ride.   Glad you joined the forum; tons of interesting stuff always going on.  Thanks for sharing the hints on the rotobrush discount!        

On 8/10/2024 at 10:32 AM, CB Utah said:

Hello @jsil Sorry for the delay; it's the busy time of year.  I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.  Regardless, always listen to FastStik owner guy's advice over mine.  But since you asked...  

Storage wax --> Nope, I just leave on the last wax of the year.  I've spoken with builders who have much more experience tinkering with raw base material and it led me to not worry about it.  Totally up to you.

# of days between waxing --> I generally go 2X for spring snow then redo but that may be excessive.  For regular season, maybe 3X if I'm slacking.  I like fast bases so it's typically every 2X.

# of potential waxes from tiny block -->The cold wax applicator will go on and on and on.  It will make you laugh how long it lasts.  If you ride every day, you may need 2 blocks for the season.  I also use the commercial block size and it will probably last years, using it almost every day (lots of different boards).  

# of passes before rotobrushing -->  Before first application, clean base with cleaner as directed by FastStik guy.  I use a citrus cleaner from Utah Ski Gear's race shop.  Let dry, then just start rubbing directional passes (not back and forth) down the base with the FastStik.  Use a head lamp to see where it got applied, based on the different glare coming off the base.  If you have a mid-length 170 cm narrow alpine board, figure to be done rubbing on wax within a frantic minute or minute and a half.  Hell, I wax while speaking to people on the phone.  Yes, it makes a loud clacking sound as you smack the block down and make short passes.  No need to rub over the same spot twice.  I just rub it one way in sections, examine with head light and move down the board.  You'll see it transform when you hit it with pressure from the rotobrush.  You'll also laugh because your "waste" product will be the tiniest amount of dust and that's it.  No more wax on carpet, benches, floors.  

I used to hang out at Canyons but learned last year the grooming is way better at the Park City Mountain side.  Also, runs like Silver Queen and less crowded Assessment have captured my interest.  I will contact you and we can go ride.   Glad you joined the forum; tons of interesting stuff always going on.  Thanks for sharing the hints on the rotobrush discount!       

Thanks for the feedback! I can't wait to ditch the iron! I ordered a cold/warm combo using the promo code from above, and if I love it I'll likely order the big shop block. The headlamp tip is a great one.

I should have clarified, I normally freeride on the Canyons side and ride groomers on the PCMR side. I'm a soft-booter, but I often prefer a stiff setup and positive angles on groomers so I'd love to try some alpine gear sometime.

Edited by jsil