Note to New Members ×

Thirst SF162- Day 5+

barryj

Well 1st day out on the SF162, conditions were crowded, crusty with flat lighting  ...you know your typical ice coast day!

But.....the SF didn't  seem to know it!   Holy Crap!   It just wants to cruise!

I set up my bindings starting from the rear where Mark suggested and that set my front binding stance wise....which was more toward the rear than I'm used to.

1st run it was very responsive and agile but a little squirrely on the nose.....so I slid everything forward 1 slot

2nd run was omg better, much more alive and snappy....but not sure I'm at the sweet spot...so I moved the front binding forward 1 slot .....(I would have moved both forward again but with my 21 stance I was already maxing out my front insert options)

3rd run .....probably more forward on the nose than it's suggested but OMG it was So Good!    Real snappy, and responsive and super agile yet damp.  Some of the best turns of the season if not my career!.....especially heel side!   ...and that's in crappy conditions in crap lighting!

Can't wait for a Day of smooth groom where I can actually see what's in front of me and where I'm going! 

Don't know if I had an Epiphany, but I've definitely joined the (Thirst) choir! 

Way to go Mark Miller!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Kneel said:

21" stance

Yeah It's down to 20 after Day 1...we will see what adjustments Day 2  brings tomorrow!   I think I'm more on the nose, not sure if it shows in photo.... than suggested but hard to break old habits!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Kneel said:

shorten the gap a couple clicks

Just fyi....I'm really enjoying the ride but not sure I've found "the" sweet  spot.... I do feel I'm behind  and riding off the tail....getting alot of pop off the tail out of turns is really exhilarating but not sure that's supposed to be part of the SF design.  I would move front binding forward but I've already run out of front inserts

So which way would you suggest trying first?                                                                                                             Move both bindings in?.... or move rear binding forward?  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

center the bindings on the inserts and use the box wine method the set my angles...

Yeah LB I did that to start.... everything centered from where Mark suggested and found the nose was squirrely....so moved both bindings forward...that was better and then moved rear binding up and that was great....but now riding on the tail and not sure if this is the sweet spot...but it's one hell of a good time! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barryj said:

Just fyi....I'm really enjoying the ride but not sure I've found "the" sweet  spot.... I do feel I'm behind  and riding off the tail....getting alot of pop off the tail out of turns is really exhilarating but not sure that's supposed to be part of the SF design.  I would move front binding forward but I've already run out of front inserts

So which way would    Move both bindings in?.... or move rear binding forward?  

Barry I'll go out on a limb and say you are over riding it. Read back through the SF  thread (or any other Thirst thread) and you'll find a common theme of not forcing the nose or curb stomping the board - although they will tolerate it just fine, the key is to stay centered and tip the board up high on edge and allow the side cut and flex voodoo do their stuff.

Maybe center the bindings again, and do a few one foot runs on a gentle slope to unlearn the habit. I'm sure Beckmann or others have some useful angulation drills too. 

Like Ike Clanton says "Listen, Mr New Hampshire nose doggy, nose riding don't go 'round here!!" 🤠

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

Barry I'll go out on a limb and say you are over riding it. Read back through the SF  thread (or any other Thirst thread) and you'll find a common theme of not forcing the nose or curb stomping the board - although they will tolerate it just fine, the key is to stay centered and tip the board up high on edge and allow the side cut and flex voodoo do their stuff.

Maybe center the bindings again, and do a few one foot runs on a gentle slope to unlearn the habit. I'm sure Beckmann or others have some useful angulation drills too. 

Like Ike Clanton says "Listen, Mr New Hampshire nose doggy, nose riding don't go 'round here!!" 🤠

I'm with you on that limb. 🤪

@barryj Take a deep breath, go back to center where Mark suggested and look at it with a fresh set of eyes.  In the beginning, it's like that feeling as a kid when you get new sneakers and you charge everything full throttle because well they're new sneakers and new sneakers make you faster, make you jump higher and put you on high alert because everyone in your class is now looking at your new kicks. 

Step out of The Matrix and free your mind.  Get on a nice wide green, get up to speed and as suggested a few times already just tip her over. If you're feeling the nose and tail intermittently, you're not relaxed or centered.  THAT is what makes the Thirst stand out. Sure, you can beat it like a red-headed step-child and eventually find that balance, and frankly you can do this with any modern board, but that center is key on the Thirst. Build upon that. It may require unlearning a few things temporarily, but everything will fall into place after that. 👍

• Like 4

What Kneel said.  If you put energy into the board in front of you front boot then thirsts will be squirrely especially when initiating turns.  It is hard to unlearn but it will come in time.  Focus your energy right between your feet throughout the WHOLE turn.   It'll click then you'll  be rippin it.  It really rewards mindless riding.

• Like 2

...of course, good technic has to become ingrained into muscle memory to achieve mindless carving bliss.

I find riding icy conditions less blissful requiring concentration on my best technic and a deft touch on the edges.

Here's what I work on in challenging conditions:

Shoulders and hips aligned with feet.

Angulate. 

Focus energy into toes and heels of both feet on toeside & heelside turns respectively. (not sure if this works well with high angles)

Some vertical up & down movement, weighting/unweighting coming into and out of turns.

No rotation. Keeping the front hand over the nose of the board can help with this.

On hero snow I throw all that out the window because...well...heroes can do anything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tddragon said:

Heading out this evening with 8rw - maiden voyage- and love all the tips in this thread! Thx

Have fun!

I consider it a great day when I get to ride mine. I really like to have good snow, visibility and plenty of room to socially distance in order to enjoy the ride. It's the one board in my quiver that I haven't ridden yet this year. 

All Thirsts love (but don't need) to have downward pressure as you enter a turn, crouching down and gently (or forcefully) extending through the turn, and as the man from Doofusville says, focusing that pressure between your feet. The board has a playful push back coming out of the turn.

I just got back from 3 hours riding hero snow on my 175 Super and I'm still feeling the turns.

• Thanks 1

• barryj changed the title to Thirst SF162- Day 3

Thanks for the insight guys! 

Firstly I have no complaints.....the SF is a great ride no doubt!......just wasn't sure, doubted I had Hit the sweet spot...yet.

So talked to Mark again before day 3 for more clarity and moved my front binding back 1 slot and tried to stay off the nose and "just tip the board" as Mark kept saying and I felt the sweet spot in some turns  where the turn and G's were so OMG! tight I thought my fillings were gonna pop out!!   :eek:

Additionally the SF likes to rail heelside on this icecoast crud which was inspiring and surprising and will go big or crazy tight turns...this had gotta be the sweet spot as I was making turns in spots on the trail  I had never imagined a turn could even fit!  :1luvu:  

Looking forward to Day 4 after the weekend! :biggthump

Edited by barryj
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Have fun!

I consider it a great day when I get to ride mine. I really like to have good snow, visibility and plenty of room to socially distance in order to enjoy the ride. It's the one board in my quiver that I haven't ridden yet this year. 

All Thirsts love (but don't need) to have downward pressure as you enter a turn, crouching down and gently (or forcefully) extending through the turn, and as the man from Doofusville says, focusing that pressure between your feet. The board has a playful push back coming out of the turn.

I just got back from 3 hours riding hero snow on my 175 Super and I'm still feeling the turns.

The base is so frikkin fast lol. Or maybe it's the fancy rub on wax he uses? I am out sliding everyone including skiers pushing with  poles on flats 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tddragon said:

The base is so frikkin fast lol. Or maybe it's the fancy rub on wax he uses? I am out sliding everyone including skiers pushing with  poles on flats 😂

Yes, it's the Faststik®. I've been experimenting with it since last spring. There's just cold & warm (above or below freezing). The cold is the slipperiest stuff I've ever used, even in the subzero temps. I used the warm a few times last spring and it seems to be pretty good too. I think warm days in spring can be the most difficult for glide. This stuff might be the answer.

The nice thing is that you can carry it in your pocket and easily rub some in on the hill. I'm finding that I need to apply some after each day of riding. Good thing is that it's easy, just rub it on, no heat required...And no flouros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Yes, it's the Faststik®. I've been experimenting with it since last spring. There's just cold & warm (above or below freezing). The cold is the slipperiest stuff I've ever used, even in the subzero temps. I used the warm a few times last spring and it seems to be pretty good too. I think warm days in spring can be the most difficult for glide. This stuff might be the answer.

The nice thing is that you can carry it in your pocket and easily rub some in on the hill. I'm finding that I need to apply some after each day of riding. Good thing is that it's easy, just rub it on, no heat required...And no flouros.

Amazing. I thought it's just pure hype. Will have to get some asap!

Best place to buy it at? Amazon doesn't seem to carry it. 

21 hours ago, Tddragon said:

Amazing. I thought it's just pure hype. Will have to get some asap!

Best place to buy it at? Amazon doesn't seem to carry 

Thirst HQ. Home to all goodness.

Edited by Lurch
See above Barry ^^^
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, barryj said:

Where do you get this magic?

Mark (Thirst) turned me on to it. He might be selling it now, so maybe contact him. I believe he puts it on all new boards he builds before they go out the door. Maybe it was on your SF? The swallowtail PCjv he sent came with it. It was so slippery I had trouble getting my board to stop sliding just so I could get into my bindings.

https://faststik.com/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FastStik discount code is: Thirst

FastStik is quick to ship product to all who order.  Give it a try, its good stuff, quick and easy to apply and you can spend more time actually tuning your boards (like those hideous edges, lol).  Two products cover all temps.  Oh, and I don't get any money for selling FastStik.

• Confused 1