Note to New Members ×

Procuring the Kessler Alpine 168

Comapedrosa

3 hours ago, daveo said:

If you're going to spend the big bucks, might as well get a custom made from HK!

Having gone through that process, it's significantly more expensive.  One of the reasons I did it was they don't have a stock board anything like the design I wanted (175, 10-14m).  Unless you're outside the weight range of the 168 (65-95kg), there's nothing I'd change about it.

3 hours ago, Comapedrosa said:

Jack, if going with the Apex X plate, is there any reason to pick the Kessler with UPM over 4x4 inserts or vice-versa? (E.g., would UPM inserts provide better contact/less play/better longevity?)

UPM or Allflex inserts provide a more direct mount for the plate, with less torque on the hardware and board inserts.  A nice thing about the Allflex pattern is you can remove and mount the plate without removing your bindings.  This would be a big help if swapping the plate between boards, or for tuning.  Aesthetically UPM is cleaner looking because all the hardware is under the plate.  I think it's a slightly more direct mount, but probably not significantly.

2ECED8C3-5268-4559-B498-900CFA641D7E.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack M said:

Having gone through that process, it's significantly more expensive.  One of the reasons I did it was they don't have a stock board anything like the design I wanted (175, 10-14m).  Unless you're outside the weight range of the 168 (65-95kg), there's nothing I'd change about it.

Yeah fair enough. Personally, I'd make it stiffer for my 85kg. I think the weight range is a bit broad for it. I would say 65-80kg. But that's just me and I feel I'm at a point where I'm more in touch with my preferences than I was say 5 years back. I always found myself on the edge of pushing it too far. But I still think it's the easiest board to carve dynamically on and look good. Pity I've never looked good!

11 hours ago, daveo said:

Yeah fair enough. Personally, I'd make it stiffer for my 85kg.

My 168 is my go-to board when it's icy and I want to keep speed down and get turns done in less space, so I like the flex.  @Comapedrosa, if you find it too soft, I think you might have an easy time selling it here. 😉

On 5/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, Jack M said:

My 168 is my go-to board when it's icy and I want to keep speed down and get turns done in less space, so I like the flex.  @Comapedrosa

That's perfect! Still too soft for me for that, though.

Edited by daveo

My K168 is the go-to board on weekends when I need to take up less space and grow eyes in the back of my head. My K185 is a weekday board when I'm the only one on the hill.....that said it's being replaced by a custom K180 with an adjusted radius and stiffness so the stock K185 will be for sale.

dave

3 hours ago, David Kirk said:

My K168 is the go-to board on weekends when I need to take up less space and grow eyes in the back of my head. My K185 is a weekday board when I'm the only one on the hill.....that said it's being replaced by a custom K180 with an adjusted radius and stiffness so the stock K185 will be for sale.

dave

What inserts does your 185 have? Interested if you're selling... 

• 3 months later...

Quick update on this old post: just ordered from Ivan, who was 30% cheaper all in, and was very responsive and knowledgeable.

Interestingly, he mentioned that Allflex will introduce a new free carving plate in December (and that VIST is developing some new ones too). Apparently Kessler will release a new plate in September/October (for 4x2 inserts)...

17 hours ago, Comapedrosa said:

ordered from Ivan, who was 30% cheaper

Hey Coma....do I have this right? ......your saying you ordered a New K168 from Ivan at iCarve for 30% cheaper than the SRP of $1440??

Dude!   Congrats!!    

Edited by barryj

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, daveo said:

Yeah fair enough. Personally, I'd make it stiffer for my 85kg. I think the weight range is a bit broad for it. I would say 65-80kg. But that's just me and I feel I'm at a point where I'm more in touch with my preferences than I was say 5 years back. I always found myself on the edge of pushing it too far. But I still think it's the easiest board to carve dynamically on and look good. Pity I've never looked good!

Yeah, IDK, my 162 was made for a dude that is 100lbs less than me. That thing could be a touch stiffer but I don’t think I’d benefit from it all that much. I’ve ridden boards that were unridable for me they were so soft that I could not control the turn but this is not the case with the kesslers made for the normal guy weight range, they work realllllllllly well for me. 

• 3 months later...

This board is the tits!! It is absolutely mind-bogglingly AWESOME!

Had a chance to ride the Alpine 168 I got from Ivan for a few days in great conditions at Northstar, Lake Tahoe, CA.

As @Jack M, @skidad62, @daveo,@barryj and others all wrote, it’s a 10/10!!!! Telepathic initiation, great at holding the carve (did not default to exit the turn too quickly as a race board would), unbelievable edge hold, quick, sure, precise, gradual, nimble, incisive... never felt so secure. See, as a very mediocre snowboarder, I need all the help I can get. This felt like driving a McLaren on a smooth mountain road. OMG. Kids kept asking me why I was smiling at the end of every run.

No plate for now... but considering how great and sure-footed this felt, I now want to try one... (not clear at all which one)

Edited by Comapedrosa
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Comapedrosa said:

This board is the tits!! It is absolutely mind-bogglingly AWESOME!

Had a chance to ride the Alpine 168 I got from Ivan for a few days in great conditions at Northstar, Lake Tahoe, CA.

As @Jack M, @skidad62, @daveo,@barryj and others all wrote, it’s a 10/10!!!! Telepathic initiation, great at holding the carve (did not default to exit the turn too quickly as a race board would), unbelievable edge hold, quick, sure, precise, gradual, nimble, incisive... never felt so secure. See, as a very mediocre snowboarder, I need all the help I can get. This felt like driving a McLaren on a smooth mountain road. OMG. Kids kept asking me why I was smiling at the end of every run.

No plate for now... but considering how great and sure-footed this felt, I now want to try one... (not clear at all which one)

Just wait until you try it in not so great conditions. You'll be wondering why everybody else is packing up and going home. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

What's the poor man's Kessler 168? Doesn't SG have an equivalent?

Not really.  There is the Full Race 170, but the average radius is 15.7m, which is significantly longer than the K's 8-12m range.  Full Carve has the same specs, but no metal if I understand correctly.

Donek Metal FC 171 is close, the retail price is less but not exactly poor man's territory.  Coilers are generally more affordable but prepare to wait.  Prior FLC 169 would be a good choice too.

Maybe check out the SG Full race titan 163xt. Is in the same place in the SG lineup as the K168 is in the K lineup of race sticks.

According to SG, it's a SL board for larger WC racers (it's wider and stiffer then the standard 163 frt, same scr),  under the feet of mere mortals it might ride like an all-around free carver. (as long as you're close to the correct wt range).

I have no 1st hand experience with the 163xt (so maybe contact SG directly for advice). 

There was one for sale here:

I had both the SG163 FRT (not XT) and K168 last year. Both very friendly and smooth-handling boards when used for freeriding, but keep in mind I'm on the high end of the weight range (195 lbs). The SG felt slightly stiffer and likes to stay pointed down the fall line, so it ended up feeling easier for me to control my carves and adjust speed on the K168. Both had great grip and dampness on icy conditions. 

Both responded well to riding with Geckos, but the big step up for the K168 came from installing the apex plate. As Daveo mentioned above... no issues at all "pedaling" to control the board at sub-carving speeds or to adjust the line, and holy crap it is unbelievably stable/easy to manage in sketchy east coast conditions. 

Ended up keeping the K168, but honestly a big part what sealed the deal was that the K was drilled for UPM and I have an Apex plate, while I didn't have anything that used allflex inserts for the SG.