Note to New Members ×

How many turns?

JohnE

So my riding buddy & I were musing on how many turns we make in a "day". One day when he was riding by himself, he had nothing better to occupy his mind so he started counting how many turns he made on a run. He was doing the same run over & over and was surprised on the consistency of the number of turns he made (40). He & I ride almost exactly the same way. This is one of the shorter runs that we do on a regular basis but when lapping this run, we tend to make 4 - 5 runs per hour.

Before we got serious about carving, we would tend to skid a lot of turns. However now we carve or attempt to carve every turn. This demands a lot more stamina than skidding.  

We normally start at 9 AM and end at 1 PM (4 hours straight). 

So, if I assume that we make 4 runs per hour for 4 hours that is 16 runs. 16 x 40 = 640 turns. 

640 turns per "day". Has anyone else done a similar count? If so, how does this stack up?

It would be interesting to work out how you're doing versus the theoretical turn radius of the board.  For example, a board tipped up at 60 degrees from horizontal, with the edge pressed evenly into the surface, creates a theoretical arc with about half the sidecut radius of the board (ignoring variable sidecut, contact variations due to torsional flex, etc., etc.).  So if you complete each turn as a full 180 degree arc, you can work out how many turns would fit into a given length of run.

4 minutes ago, Wolf said:

It would be interesting to work out how you're doing versus the theoretical turn radius of the board.  For example, a board tipped up at 60 degrees from horizontal, with the edge pressed evenly into the surface, creates a theoretical arc with about half the sidecut radius of the board (ignoring variable sidecut, contact variations due to torsional flex, etc., etc.).  So if you complete each turn as a full 180 degree arc, you can work out how many turns would fit into a given length of run.

That sounds even more obsessed than counting the number of turns each run!

However, I get your point. It should be possible to calculate the number of full turns possible for a given board and knowing the fall line length of the run. The number of possible full turns should be about the fall line length divided by twice the SCR. 

So, this intrigued me more: 

At Loveland, Lift #8 looks to be about 3600 feet long (based on Google Maps). Chet's Run is nearly parallel to the lift. 

3600 feet/40 turns = 90 feet per turn. If one assumes that the turns are full half-circles, the radius of this circle would be 45 feet.

45 feet = 13.7 meters (approximately the SCR of the my board).

Turns that are more than 180 degrees would require more turns. Turns that are less than 180 degrees would require fewer. Maybe the average of all turns in a run approaches the SCR of the board?   

Man! You guys got Way Too Much Time on you hands! 🤪

I too also count turns but at a much simpler application..... I only count the number of turns between towers on specific sections of a particular trail.

So at a casual carving pace if get 4 turns between towers I'll start working hard to really tighten up my turns  up to doubling or better the number of turns between towers......that will really increase your carving skill and get you a workout if you working for every last turn!

On 3/28/2019 at 7:17 PM, JohnE said:

640 turns per "day". Has anyone else done a similar count? If so, how does this stack up?

For me that does no sense. I calculated few times turns, in Myrkdalen we made 60 turns per run, and one run takes bout 15-20 minutes, and on my local hill i get such numbers that i would multiply that 640 with quite high number.

If you ride like 40-60KM per day i would say that one gets easily 2k+ turns per day if you are not in surfing mood.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, Corey said:

I made 13 turns in this little section:

No idea how that translates to a whole day. 

^^ This. 

On Google Maps, that pitch appears to be about 1/7 of the entire run - back down to the queue of Chet's Dream (including the flat section in the valley). If you were to continue to make that type of turn for the entire run, that would be about 91 turns.