Note to New Members ×

Binding set up poll.

David Kirk

Binding cant and/or lift?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. I'm curious how people use whatever plate binding they are using and if they use toe or heel lift with out without canting. I'm not asking about the merits of a given set up just where they ended up with their set ups.

• One or both bindings set up flat with no lift or canting?
    • One or both bindings set up with just toe/heel lift but no canting?
    • One or both bindings set up with just canting and no toe/heel lift?
    • One or both bindings set up with both toe/heel lift and canting?

You actually needed a multiple answer option. For me it differs depending on what board width/angles I'm running. 
Narrow board, carve only, splay below 10*, I go toe/heel lift only. This is the option I voted, assuming you are talking just pure carving; 
Wider board, freeride, forward stance, splay over 10-20*, I go toe/heel lift, plus I might add inward cant on the rear boot. I can ride without it too, just slightly narrower stance; 
Regular twin tip board, teaching low level students, duck stance, splay 20-30*, I can ride flat, or with inward cant on both bindings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

You actually needed a multiple answer option. For me it differs depending on what board width/angles I'm running. 
Narrow board, carve only, splay below 10*, I go toe/heel lift only. This is the option I voted, assuming you are talking just pure carving; 
Wider board, freeride, forward stance, splay over 10-20*, I go toe/heel lift, plus I might add inward cant on the rear boot. I can ride without it too, just slightly narrower stance; 
Regular twin tip board, teaching low level students, duck stance, splay 20-30*, I can ride flat, or with inward cant on both bindings. 

Thank you - yes I was asking about carving set ups.

dave

Voted. Lift, but no cant, both bindings.

I'm of the opinion that 

Rider physique

Stance distance

Binding angles

Cant & lift requirements

are all inter-related. To ask the question as you have is an over simplification.

I have published the reasons why I hold this opinion as a YouTube video. A number of forum participants have written to me saying that my theory makes good sense.

Links to the video have been posted multiple times already. Search for "binding angle secant curve" on YouTube to view it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

I'm of the opinion that 

Rider physique

Stance distance

Binding angles

Cant & lift requirements

are all inter-related. To ask the question as you have is an over simplification.

I have published the reasons why I hold this opinion as a YouTube video. A number of forum participants have written to me saying that my theory makes good sense.

Links to the video have been posted multiple times already. Search for "binding angle secant curve" on YouTube to view it.

I think you may have misunderstood the intention of my question. I was only wondering how people set up their bindings to better understand their own personal requirements from a design perspective.....in more simple terms what adjustments do people need their bindings to have? Do they feel that they need a binding that will allow for lift, or cant, or both?

dave

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

.in more simple terms what adjustments do people need their bindings to have? Do they feel that they need a binding that will allow for lift, or cant, or both?

dave

Thanks for clarifying.

Lift and cant adjustment are both useful in my view. I'm a fan of the Trench Digger design because of its' ability to provide incremental adjustment to both parameters. 

The recent creation of 3D print designs for F2 binding wedges, allowing precise cant and lift combinations, is a great advance. 

• Like 1

I ride Cateks because the lift/cant options are so easy. I ride a 19cm waist board at 20.25” with toe/heel lift and inward canting on both feet. I tried flat canting last year (even tried outward in the front which puts my front knee right In the middle of the board) and while my toeside turns had more power (and long traverses were easier) I lost all sense of my heelside body position. 

14 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

its'

17 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

I'm of the opinion that 

Rider physique

Stance distance

Binding angles

Cant & lift requirements

The video mentioned is the one that changed everything for me.

Took @SunSurfer's advice from the video and did the unthinkable and went for my first day with a different stance width and different canting and it was AMAZING. Can't thank @SunSurfer enough.

As a side note, I also changed board, plate, bindings, boots, liners. But I out those all working out due to doing my due diligence before getting on the hill.

BTW, I voted, no cant, just toe and heel lift. 

Edited by daveo

I put lift and cant, but my cant is very minimal. I'm using TD3s, and the cant ring is only like 5 degrees off of the baseplate. I want to re evaluate though soon revisiting @Beckmann AG's guide and @SunSurfer's video. I did some early this season and found a good place, but I bet it could be better. 

23 hours ago, yamifumi said:

I have tried so many set ups with lift and cant but it seems like I don’t like any canting but just toe and heel lift. I do have canting on my boots as I had pressure point. 

Same! That is because we are twins, Yasu!

• Like 1