Note to New Members ×

All Mountain Snowboard

Buford67

My friend is in the market for a new snowboard. He is currently riding a Vapor and BMC by Burton. He is considering a new custom by Burton. For the price, is there better quality out there for all mountain riding? Rider is intermediate. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check out Amplid, Peter Bauer's company, they have several options. The possibilities I am familiar with are below.

If he wants a beefy all mountain board for advanced riders, I would recommend the UNW8.

A more playful board is the Surfari. It is a fun carver and great powder board. A difficult combination to achieve.

The Creamer is the best "do everything" all mountain board I know of (I have tried quite a few over the years) and it is also super friendly and moderately priced. It is the same shape as their Milligram splitboard which I have been riding for 4 years now in every condition.

Burton Custom??   I wouldn't  want a wide park board for all Mtn. riding.

You want a Freeride weapon -  Check out Jones snowboards   For the same price as a Custom or less,  there are 5 different Jones models to choose from.   For East coast riding the Flagship model will do it all..... but I was partial to the storm chaser.

https://www.backcountry.com/jones-snowboards?show=all&p=salePriceUSbcs%3A[500+TO+600]&nf=1

• Like 1

Even talking to the builder of your board. How cool is that? Incredible if you ask me.

Custom vs mass produced 

Yes look at:

Donek

Virus

Prior

Coiler

Alloy

SG

Kessler 

Oxess

Jasey Jay

Etc.

He wants an incredible board without the high cost? Look at the full lineup of Fullbag snowsurfs.

Edited by Poloturbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Buford67 said:

Another question I have is what makes one board better than another board? Construction? Material? Mass produced vs not mass produced?

I really think it often it comes down to personal preference and matching the board to the rider's skill, technique, and riding style. I do like smaller companies though that are not producing in cheap labor / lower quality factories, but that is a personal preference.

I love my Coiler and my D.O. but there is something to be said for mass produced boards.

Usually easier to ride as a demo and some of them are really not bad. Lately I've been really impressed with Burton's camber boards (Skeleton Key in particular). If I had the capital that would probably be my all mountain SB setup. 

But alas... Coilers are sooooo nice!

3 hours ago, daveo said:

Best one for the money by far.

I tried so many boards and always bring it everywhere. 

Its not the best all rounder by fullbag.  I think the blunt Diamond would be better as it carves well and powder demon also. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 12:45 PM, barryj said:

Burton Custom??   I wouldn't  want a wide park board for all Mtn. riding.

You want a Freeride weapon -  Check out Jones snowboards   For the same price as a Custom or less,  there are 5 different Jones models to choose from.   For East coast riding the Flagship model will do it all..... but I was partial to the storm chaser.

https://www.backcountry.com/jones-snowboards?show=all&p=salePriceUSbcs%3A[500+TO+600]&nf=1

A custom coiler with all the trimming comes in at like 650, worth it. 

Thanks everyone for the input on this thread.  Been out of the game for a long time and I’m also looking for a new all-Mtn SB board.  I’ll look into the many above suggestions.  Thank you!

I want something that can lay out carves, float well in pow and also just cruise chopped up runs with the kids.  

I have a friend who is super cool and is letting me take his Donek Incline to Montucky Clear Cut to demo it!!  

Edited by Jcar

19 hours ago, Jcar said:

I want something that can lay out carves, float well in pow and also just cruise chopped up runs with the kids.  

Honestly all the boards mentioned in this thread can do all of these (granted, rider dependent). Some will excel at one thing at the expense of others. 

Demo as much as you can and see what speaks to you!

48 minutes ago, JRAZZ said:

Demo as much as you can and see what speaks to you!

On that note........ if anyone in this thread is going to MCC and wants to bring any of the above mentioned boards for me to demo that would be very cool..... wink wink, nudge nudge!!😀

On 1/6/2019 at 4:37 PM, daveo said:

Directionally challenged but the best "do everything" that I have for sure. If I had to pack one board for a trip, this would be it. Detune the nose past the early rise for best results

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, daveo said:

Well it's an apples and oranges thing. Am is for hardboots bx is for softboots in their stock shape and intended use. 

Ahhh!  That’s why the AM sounded so good!!  Missed the point that that board is HB based.  I’m not seeing any pictures on the Coiler website of the board design....so I missed that!