Note to New Members ×

Getting back into the game - Hard Boot Package Advice/ Opinions

SHREDSURF

Stomp pads are still a thing, judging by some threads from last year I think at least half the riders use them. 

Dakine spike stomp pads seem to be very popular, use them on all my boards.  Cheap, good adhesive, work well.

Leashes, not so much. Search this forum by title for “leashes” and you should find last year’s thread on it. I’d guess about 1/4 of the riders use them on a full time basis. 

They’re mandatory in Montana apparently, and so everyone attending next month’s Montucky Clear Cut session will have to be sporting one. 

• Thanks 1

I can't ride near home without a leash, so I have one.  I hate the style you linked; lots of knocking and thumping that I find distracting.  Go for something with a nylon buckle, like the old Bomber leashes.  Someone linked to a Dakine version a while ago, I can't find it now.  

Someone suggested attaching stomp pads with industrial velcro.  BEST IDEA EVER!  Can remove the stomp pad easily later so boards can nest with other boards nicely in a bag. 

The Dakine Stomp pads are really good at clearing packed snow from hardboots.  The foam ones can tear.  

• Thanks 1

I use this one and love it. Strong stick and durable spikes.

shark_teeth-black-angle_800x.png

I believe this is the most popular stomp pad around here. I tried one and broke the top off most of the teeth. Possibly the quality might not be as good as they used to be when they were popularised.

p21701-Dakine_Spike_Stomp_Pad_Charcoal.j

I use this leash because the guys/girls I ride with wear one and I don't want to be seen as unsafe and therefore uncool and no longer be liked, be shunned and banished from Japan.

one-ball-jay-snap-pea-leash-snowboard-ac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I use the crab grab "Scromper", works well enough, and I wanted something a bit thin at the time. Supposed to work as a scraper for your boot, sometimes the sierra cement we get is a bit much for it though. Thinking about switching to something like that shark teeth for more surface area, and the spikes should clear snow well still I imagine.

crabscrom_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 11:27 AM, Corey said:

I can't ride near home without a leash, so I have one.  I hate the style you linked; lots of knocking and thumping that I find distracting.  Go for something with a nylon buckle, like the old Bomber leashes.  Someone linked to a Dakine version a while ago, I can't find it now.  

Someone suggested attaching stomp pads with industrial velcro.  BEST IDEA EVER!  Can remove the stomp pad easily later so boards can nest with other boards nicely in a bag. 

The Dakine Stomp pads are really good at clearing packed snow from hardboots.  The foam ones can tear.  

That may be the best idea ever. 👍

Or a felt stomp pad. 🤔  Works great for waders on algae covered stones.  I remember having decent traction in winter on ice an snow covered surfaces as well. Or just the loop side of the velcro...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveo said:

Read good things about Darn Tough. I usually get smartwool when they're on sale at steepandcheap for like 7bucks or something.

I think @Corey and someone else both said they emit a pungent tangy odour when using smartwool. I like them though.

Yeah, I struggle with Smartwool socks.  Of course, I figured this out after I owned a bunch of them.  Vinegar in the wash cycle helps.  

That Dakine stomp pad is ok to protect the topsheet, but the little spikes disappear quick.  Still better than nothing.  Then again, lots of people ride without stomp pads.  Probably depends how XTREME (!) your local lift unloading areas are.  My local ones are surprisingly steep.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

The F2 race titanium or titanflex will absolutely hold your 225 lbs.   F2s are used in world cup racing, I think if they can take the strain there you should be ok.  The RS are the lighter model that some recommend against for stronger riders.

I broke a set of F2 Intec RS, I'm 175lbs... Have multiple sets of F2 Intec Titanium, they are rock solid! Simple proven design, spare parts available if needed, used by racers, good value.

14 hours ago, pow4ever said:

@SHREDSURF  How was the appointment?  Is Gary the man?

Appointment was great and yes, Gary is the man. Super knowledgeable, attentive to the details, passionate about the art of boot fitting and he's been doing it for 25+ years!

Now the problems...

Ski Barn was out of stock of all Intuition liners. So I'll be heading back after my trip to Mexico to finalize the liners. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:27 PM, Corey said:

I dont trust velcros 🙂 4xM6 rules

_full.jpg

Edited by pokkis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...