Note to New Members ×

Getting back into the game - Hard Boot Package Advice/ Opinions

SHREDSURF

11 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

I like the $100 savings, but who does the modifications/fitting (if needed).

Liners molding is discussed by @Jack M @Kmf and @daveo above lol. 

Hot spots can be molded out of your liner when molding it with extra pieces of foam.

Extra room in the toes by using a toe cap when molding.

Heel hot spots can be ground or sanded into the shell. 

Punching can be done by heating the shell and forcing it apart 1mm at a time with a homemade stretching thingy. You can check YouTube to see what I mean. I'd never do this myself. I'm too clumsy. 

Or you can go to a bootfitter with your liners and say do your thang. But I did that and the idiot ruined my $550 Boot Doc WC foam injected liners. The boot doc rep knew my bootfitter and all. Needless to say he is no longer my bootfitter and obviously that came out of his pocket.

Zipfit ftw.

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

EVA foam, used in many liners, softens above about 50 degrees Celsius, but above 70C the foam bubbles start to degrade. Techniques using higher temperatures will reduce the number of times the liner can be remoulded. Beg to borrow a good cooking thermometer off a friend/wife/.... and check the temperature of the oven you are using after giving the temp time to stabilise after any changes to the oven setting. The cooking thermometer is likely to be more accurate than the Temp dial for the oven. 

https://www.ultralonfoam.com/products/eva-foams

Click the link on the page for properties of high density EVA foams, the linked .pdf includes the working temperature range for this company's foams, all around 60-70C max.

Edited by SunSurfer
Add reference material link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kmf said:

I took Jack M’s advice on heating the entire liner (oven method), the result of the outer liner molding to the boot does make a difference. 

If you aren’t confident about diy, most places in the ny, nj area charge $20-30 max. The important thing is that they use a convection oven, not the blower which only heats the inside. Ski barn (near you), has a convection.

For a first time molder (if that is you), I would spend the $ on a fitter. You dont know if you’ll have other fitting issues which need to be addressed. After watching how they do it, you can do it yourself the next time if needed. That’s what I did.

I am totally going to see a professional IF the liners suck as everyone says they will...just need the boots to find out!

As of 4am this morning, my boots were 2 miles away...and will stay there until UPS delivers them on Monday! 12 days from order to receive is like living in the stone ages! ⏳😭

13 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

I am totally going to see a professional IF the liners suck as everyone says they will...just need the boots to find out!

As of 4am this morning, my boots were 2 miles away...and will stay there until UPS delivers them on Monday! 12 days from order to receive is like living in the stone ages! ⏳😭

Just rock up to the UPS DC and ask them to pick up the consignment. Then torch the place as you leave. :flamethro

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

Don’t know if anyone mentioned another benefit of thermos, they are toasty warm! Rode in my Palau the other day and my feet were super warm. Even if the stock liners feel good, I doubt they’ll  be nearly as warm. Ditch the toe warmers...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Very true.  my is too warm i think... How does one deal with the foot funk?
Since it's winter time; i should just leave it in the car for a week to see if it help lol.

Gross dude! hahaha.

I take my liners out from my boots, then my footbeds out of my liners every and dry them every night after I ride so they're 'fresh' (never fresh lol) for the next day of riding.

• Like 1

😜 me too:  Liner out, dryguy boot dryer.  Guess once the funk is in; the moisture draw it out.  
FWIW: my running shoes never stink and i put about 30-40 miles in a week.
I am thinking it might be the wool sock...

Back to the OP:  let us know if you got your boot!  It's the 14.  Can't wait to see what you think of modern equipment.  I am excited/stoked for you.

Very interesting in your journey with boots/liner since we are in the "same" tri state area.
which liner, which boot fitter and etc.  I might have to go through the torture on getting another pair of boots to fit properly.
I do have a pair of UPZ RC10 that just sitting and collecting dust.

29 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

How does one deal with the foot funk?

Vinegar/water mix in the boot liner every now and then really stops boot funk.  Rinse well or your boots/feet smell like pickles after a day of riding.  Awful pickles, not the good kind.  

I've also found that Eekoe socks have some magical property to reduce funk.  Smartwool socks seem to hold funk no matter how I wash them or the liners.  

57 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Very true.  my is too warm i think... How does one deal with the foot funk?
Since it's winter time; i should just leave it in the car for a week to see if it help lol.

Been thinking about this. When I was an athlete (100-400m) and tutoring at uni, it was the fittest I've ever been. Strong as an ox, too. But I remember just running up the stairs in the Finance building to get to my supervisor's office would DESTROY me completely. My supervisor once said to me, "aren't you like .. supposed to be an athlete or something?".

So I guess, even if you're running 30-40miles per week, it doesn't fully transfer into snowboarding. I reckon the remedy is just to snowboard more!!!

13 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Thank you Corey!  I blame Smartwool; use them exclusively.  Shame I really like their sock.

I get the opposite effect! My smartwool snowboard socks never ever stink. Ever. Neither do my New Balance running shoes regardless of the socks I wear. But my Asics table tennis shoes I wear with low cotton socks STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINKKKKKK so bad.

13 minutes ago, Kmf said:

I usually wash my feet with soap and warm water.

hahhaah....  i do take shower/wash my feet.  funk of the liner since it's so warm.

me 2, stair kills me still and I do "enjoy" running hill. 
General Fitness is good since it does help me recover faster.
Snowboard time for me is a luxury and cross train is never 100% effective. 
Hence when I do get to ride; I try to get my money's worth lol.

Lol, just joking pow.

On the serious side, I need to use foot powder to stop sweating in all my shoes. I’ve tried every powder known to mankind (I believe). The Only one which works for me is Desenex Powder (not spray!!), Walmart stocks it. Recommended it to a few people, they told me it changed their life..ymmv. Or it could be the footbed that’s singing “We got the Funk”.

The other day I wore 2 new socks eurosock on left foot, Smartwool on right. I think the eurosock felt more comfy, less sweaty.

Now back to our original programmed thread:

Today should be the day Shredsurf receives the final piece to the puzzle...

We’re all waiting

Edited by Kmf

1 hour ago, Kmf said:

On the serious side, I need to use foot powder to stop sweating in all my shoes. I’ve tried every powder known to mankind (I believe). The Only one which works for me is Desenex Powder (not spray!!), Walmart stocks it. Recommended it to a few people, they told me it changed their life..ymmv

The other day I wore 2 new socks eurosock on left foot, Smartwool on right. I think the eurosock felt more comfy.

I have this problem, although I attribute it to my socks. My feet sweated so much last year in these bamboo socks that I think the edge of my big toes had some sort of immersion foot syndrome. The skin ended up just soaked, thick and thought a big chunk was going to peel off. It ended up healing but I had to file it off as it was dead (so it didn't heal, actually).

I guess I'd never do well with the Winchester 1897...

BUT lo and behold my saviour appeared. THESE SOCKS. And all my woes went away.

Edited by daveo

Spicy! Congratulations! Finally got them. What was the reason behind them not being shipped at the same time? Seems weird.

Flo liners suck (for me). There is a guy wanting to buy a pair in the classifieds for some unknown weird reason , maybe you can sell them to him?

How do your feet fit in the boots without the liners?

Edited by daveo

3 hours ago, daveo said:

Spicy! Congratulations! Finally got them. What was the reason behind them not being shipped at the same time? Seems weird.

Flo liners suck (for me). There is a guy wanting to buy a pair in the classifieds for some unknown weird reason , maybe you can sell them to him?

How do your feet fit in the boots without the liners?

Never really got an answer from UPZ, but whatever. Both were sent from Canada. The bindings were sent USPS and got here in like 2 days. The boots were sent UPS and took 12 days purchase to arrival. The board came from SLOVENIA and got here in 2 f'in days! Go figure!

Haven't really had a chance to get into the boots yet, too much happening at the place that pays the bills for all this expensive hard booting stuff! 😜