Note to New Members ×

Getting back into the game - Hard Boot Package Advice/ Opinions

SHREDSURF

On 1/15/2019 at 5:02 AM, Kmf said:

Glad to see you’re all set!

When will you be able to have it’s maiden voyage? I’d like to hear what you think of the SG.

Trying to free up some time this week to get everything set, but the real job seems to be getting in the way of my free time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHREDSURF said:

Trying to free up some time this week to get everything set, but the real job seems to be getting in the way of my free time!!

What’s your thought on the fit and liners? If you believe you will get thermos, I’d suggest ordering Palau directly. They ship next day, USPS, 6 days to nyc, cost $115. I got the alpine power fit, nice fit with UPZ. They come in half sizes also. Take this time to get the boots customized.

Ps. Looks like kneel bought a similar board to yours 🙂

Edited by Kmf

1 hour ago, Kmf said:

What’s your thought on the fit and liners? If you believe you will get thermos, I’d suggest ordering Palau directly. They ship next day, USPS, 6 days to nyc, cost $115. I got the alpine power fit, nice fit with UPZ. They come in half sizes also. Take this time to get the boots customized.

@SHREDSURF

Not sure if this will help but, to extend on what @Kmf said, I've used both the alpine power fit and apline dual fit.

The dual fit has a bit better response, which I attribute to the strobel sole design and is a bit comfier in the toes due to the lack of seam up the middle of the toe area. This only comes in the hard version.

Powerfit is great, too! These come in 'soft' and 'hard'. The soft version I think is the version @Kmf has and has a small front pad. Hard version has a large pad (same pad as the dual fit). The larger pad stiffens the liner. The rest is the same. My partner has the soft version and the seam doesn't bother her at all. The volume is slightly more on the power fit as compared to the dual fit.

@daveo @Kmf @SHREDSURF

Apology for thread jacking.  I might have build up enough courage to work another pair of boots.  Liner is packing out, getting some heel lift on my back foot in Deeluxe.  My front foot are in a good place now.  on the back It worked but just barely.  Maybe I will ride my track700 on front and upz in the back....

Gathering some info: 
where does one source Palau liner?  directly from their website or carversparadise?
Since KMF/Shred are in the tri state area:  please let me know any good local boot fitter for Alpine boots.  Starting gate in VT was great but preferred local.

http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/47352-east-coast-bootfitters-ny-ct-or-nj-area/

I rode UPZ RC10 26.5MP for a bit until my front foot developed problem(bone problem) so had to go to Deeluxe.
Low volume and stiff liner sounded like my cup of tea:  Palau Dual Fit in size 26.5?

Thanks in Advance!
David

So if I am reading all this right, I shouldn't even be bothering with the stock UPZ liners? 

I've had them on once since getting them, all be it sitting at my desk in my office and they were awfully uncomfortable.

I am going to put them on tonight and try to dial them in a bit for a prolonged period and see how they feel. 

9 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

So if I am reading all this right, I shouldn't even be bothering with the stock UPZ liners? 

I've had them on once since getting them, all be it sitting at my desk in my office and they were awfully uncomfortable.

I am going to put them on tonight and try to dial them in a bit for a prolonged period and see how they feel. 

I had the same experience.  UPZ/Flo liner; pressure point, hot spot every where.  Just uncomfortable.
With heat moldable liner; it's great.  Mold it with toe cap.  The molding process isn't walk in the park but not bad.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, daveo said:

How do your feet fit in the boots without the liners?

Holy shitballs do these boots KILL my feet! Had em on for about 25 minutes and both feet fell dead asleep.

Without the liners, I have at least 1" to 1.5" in the heel areas, which I believe is good.

After wearing them for the 1st 5 minutes, I added the included "instep/width regulation pieces to the instep of the liners and it did help a bit. But walking around the house in them, it wasn't long before both feet began to throb and eventually pins & needles started to set in. The majority of the pain seems to be on the inside portion of the instep area and a little bit in the side heel area.

Not knowing shit about these boots or how to DIY tweak them, my next trip is going to have to be to a boot fit professional. There's no way I can comfortably ride in these for more than 1 short run...and that ain't gonna cut it.

15476831434135553049475473780612.jpg

15476831828261756983815237561504.jpg

Classic Flo liners at it again lol. Don't worry happens to everyone. Except mutants. 

1-2 fingers behind heel when foot is in shell on footbed is ideal.

I like a bit tighter......... So I go just under 1 finger. 

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

@daveo @Kmf @SHREDSURF

Apology for thread jacking.  I might have build up enough courage to work another pair of boots.  Liner is packing out, getting some heel lift on my back foot in Deeluxe.  My front foot are in a good place now.  on the back It worked but just barely.  Maybe I will ride my track700 on front and upz in the back....

Gathering some info: 
where does one source Palau liner?  directly from their website or carversparadise?
Since KMF/Shred are in the tri state area:  please let me know any good local boot fitter for Alpine boots.  Starting gate in VT was great but preferred local.

http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/47352-east-coast-bootfitters-ny-ct-or-nj-area/

I rode UPZ RC10 26.5MP for a bit until my front foot developed problem(bone problem) so had to go to Deeluxe.
Low volume and stiff liner sounded like my cup of tea:  Palau Dual Fit in size 26.5?

Thanks in Advance!
David

Direct. Cheapest. Shipping is free and VAT is removed in cart.

You can email Fred at Palau for a recommendation, but that would be my choice for a stiff liner. If you like overlap style. The sole makes it lower volume than the powerfit but by no means low volume.

Measure your biggest foot using homemade brannock. Heel and ruler up against wall. Round that up to the nearest 0.5cm. That's your size.

Lower volume is classic fit rs but that's tongue style and I believe made for tight fitting race ski boots. Would probably go better in mountain slope since I feel they're the lowest overall volume shells. 

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

Holy shitballs do these boots KILL my feet! Had em on for about 25 minutes and both feet fell dead asleep.

Did you preheat each liner in turn with a hairdryer, hunka-hunka burning love, or the breath of a fetid hell-hound?

Those liners are not prêt á porter. The intent is for the rider to hammer them into shape with a few hours/days of riding. At which time, assuming the boot shells are similar in shape to the foot, they'll be fine. Or not.

Repeated preheating/wearing around the house will usually make them tolerable prior to actual use. Use an overthick or two pair of socks.

OR do what everyone else does, and install a bench seat for comfort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daveo said:

He may be one of the said mutants.

Where is this foot mutant you speak of! 

12 hours ago, Kmf said:

Take this time to get the boots customized.

Gonna wander around the house with the liners on until my appointment next week with Greg at Ski Barn in Wayne, NJ. I have no time, nor interest in trying to buy liners, get em home and work them to fit my foot.

Considering what I spent on this setup, what's another $200 to get the most important part, the boots, dialed in perfectly, by an expert!

Appreciate the advise, thanks!

30 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

Where is this foot mutant you speak of! 

12 hours ago, Kmf said:

Mutant sighting:  in WTB section:  http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/47529-flo-liner/
flo liner 11.  People's bio mechanic are different.  I envy those have no foot problem and able to make stock liner work for them.

@daveo  Thank you very much for the info on Palau liner!  Will do more research.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, daveo said:

Just made my boot fitting appointment with Greg at Ski Barn in Wayne, NJ for next Wednesday at 3pm.  Every review I've read says he is the best of the best in the Tri-State area. 

I don't have the time or patience to try the DIY boot fitting route. I've spent over $1500 for this great setup, what's another $150 to $225 to have a professional dial in the most important part of this setup!?! 💰

Gonna try to get over to Mountain Creek in the next few days to see if I can take a run or 2 in the stock Flo liners...anyone heading out that way?

41 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Mutant sighting

Mutant message sent...thanks!

36 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

I've spent over $1500 for this great setup, what's another $150 to $225 to have a professional dial in the most important part of this setup!?! 💰

Consider all your options including zipfit! Zipfit last forever and are transferble from Boot to boot. They don't compress over time and pack out. Bigger initial outlay but less cost per day provided you use them enough. 

80-100 days in a thermo, so $2 per day. Unlimited in a zipfit. Might cost twice as much to start so as long as you're planning to ride for 160-200 days... You're winning. They can have extra cork added or removed. My bootfitter has had the prototype from 15 years ago and still going strong. 

Just a consideration.

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

@daveo  Thank you very much for the info on Palau liner!  Will do more research.

Any time. Can only offer what little I know so I'm glad it helps in any way even if it helps eliminate a suggestion of mine 🙂 one less wrong decision is just as good as a right decision! 

Edited by daveo

8 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

my appointment next week with Greg at Ski Barn in Wayne, NJ. I have no time, nor interest in trying to buy liners, get em home and work them to fit my foot

This is exactly what I meant by customizing your boots. Does Greg have Intuition? If so which ones and sizes. You might want to call/stop there before and try on the liners if he does have them in stock. If not, get them from somewhere else. Pointless to go there without having your liners ready. It’s too late now to order liners from Palau, they won’t be here in time for Wednesday.

Greg charges something like $30 for convection oven molding and $20/boot punch. A wise and economical choice.

@pow4ever Try Greg at ski barn, it’s on the way to Mountain Creek.

Direct from Palau website, free ship no VAT. Don’t over research the liners, just get a pair. Read daveos’s description of the liners and choose one for your needs. Can’t decide which one to get? Order two models, the price will be a little more than one pair of Intuition. Added bonus: you can get rid of the foot funk infested liners and insoles you currently have 🙂

@SHREDSURF I’m trying to go in the next few days, let me know where and when you decide. Maybe we can have @pow4ever meet up too, that would be great. The three of us could share our equipment/technique issues with one another...lol Maybe Belleayre? Not as crowded and fewer NYC boneheads (like me) than other close mountains.

Edited by Kmf
  • Thanks 1

If you were to go ride this stuff, new boots, board, bindings, you would have a better feeling of all the components.  At this rate, the season will almost be over, and we are all waiting to see how it all works for you.  Put a thin sock on and put the hammer down!