Note to New Members ×

Getting back into the game - Hard Boot Package Advice/ Opinions

SHREDSURF

5 minutes ago, billyt. said:

At this rate, the season will almost be over, and we are all waiting to see how it all works for you.

That may very well happen! 🙄

I'm leaving for Mexico on the 26th for 2 weeks...if I return, in 1 piece, I have 10 days setup at Stowe Mt. in late February into March...plenty of time to test this stuff out!

Besides, the best riding the past few years has been way late in the season for us on the Ice Coast! 🏂

some years yes.  All new boots usually are uncomfortable at first try on.  When you start to use them, they get less uncomfortable.  When they become comfortable, they are probably close to being packed out.  If they are too tight, that's a problem.  when you start putting your weight into them in a turn, they will start to soften up.  Good luck

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

Besides, the best riding the past few years has been way late in the season for us on the Ice Coast! 

This is true, so far the season blows.

However...

The Catskill region is getting 12-18” pure white on Saturday. The season has just begun

5446CBC4-AA9D-4522-A11B-4C1178118E98.jpeg

Edited by Kmf
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:50 AM, Kmf said:

Does Greg have Intuition? If so which ones and sizes.

Ski Barn in Wayne has Intuition liners, what style and sizes will require another phone call. Whats weird about their shitty website is that there isn't a single mention of boot fitting services. In today's digital age and with major online options for ski/snowboard equipment, you would think this would be predominantly displayed somewhere on Ski Barn's website. Oh well, I need to make another call to Ski Barn and speak to some kid who will put me on hold to ask Greg my specific liner questions.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:50 AM, Kmf said:

I’m trying to go in the next few days, let me know where and when you decide. Maybe we can have @pow4ever meet up too, that would be great. The three of us could share our equipment/technique issues with one another...lol Maybe Belleayre? Not as crowded and fewer NYC boneheads (like me) than other close mountains.

As much as I hoped to get to Mountain Creek by Saturday, my plans have fallen to shite. I may try to sneak out next week, Monday or Tuesday late afternoon, but it will be a game day call.

Edited by SHREDSURF

Never been there weekends, dont know how crowded it is. Shorter runs than hunter and Windham for the most part, but less crowded  and they have a gondola. 

My belief is that it’s always worth bringing your gear. Why sneak? Most of my friends ski, I don’t.

15 hours ago, Corey said:

Looks awesome!

Can you buckle in and stand comfortably for a few minutes? If not, start tweaking. It's not a perfect test but if something feels funny on carpet, it's rare it gets better on the snow. 

My setup is so weird that i dont like to stand any extra second on carbet or even side of slope, but when board starts to move it just clicks and is easy and super comfy. But it is just me.

1 hour ago, pokkis said:

My setup is so weird that i dont like to stand any extra second on carbet or even side of slope, but when board starts to move it just clicks and is easy and super comfy. But it is just me.

Might be those 60f/45r angles you insist on running. :eplus2:

Nope, i run on hard boots 5deg difference, today it was 60/65. Root cause is more that i prefer setup boots straight up, and use 54cm stance with small lift rear on UPZ. That combined with my 180cm length and poor balance makes uncomfy just to stand, but my setup is optimized for snow carving, not carpet carving 🙂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Corey said:

Can you buckle in and stand comfortably for a few minutes?

Yup, a few minutes fully buckled works fine, any longer and the pinch points are unbearable. Cant wait for my boot fitting appt.!

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Nice!  Is it the angle that make make the front boot look like it have tons of forward lean?
Cool beard/shade sticker 🙂 

I think it's just the angle of the picture.

7 hours ago, pokkis said:

Nope, i run on hard boots 5deg difference, today it was 60/65. Root cause is more that i prefer setup boots straight up, and use 54cm stance with small lift rear on UPZ. That combined with my 180cm length and poor balance makes uncomfy just to stand, but my setup is optimized for snow carving, not carpet carving 🙂

Oh I was joking. Do you actuality run your rear foot on a higher angle? 

I really should experiment with my set up more. 

11 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

Yup, a few minutes fully buckled works fine, any longer and the pinch points are unbearable

The flo liners strike again!

@pow4ever mentioned forward lean. What is your forward lean on, by the way? Front and rear? 

Edited by daveo

@SHREDSURF if you're going down the Intuition path, I reckon it's worth reading up on what you want/need before you go to the bootfitter so you at least have an idea and can question him and understand why he recommends one liner over another. Just in case yaknowww... You don't want to be recommended something just because he doesn't have what you want/need in stock. Which I think can easily happen since there are many permutations of the liners.

This link is actually really helpful https://intuitionliners.com/choosing-a-liner-model/

Power wrap or power wrap plus look decent to me... 

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmf said:

Sweet setup Shred!

Does ski barn have the liners/size you need? I hope you don’t have to wait another 3 weeks to get out and rock that board. 

I spoke with Greg last week who told me he is OUT of the Intuition "Luxury"liners I want. I tried to find them online, but I won't have them by Wednesday.

I am leaving for Mexico this Saturday for 2 weeks. Greg said he will have them for me when I return.

2 hours ago, daveo said:

@SHREDSURF if you're going down the Intuition path, I reckon it's worth reading up on what you want/need before you go to the bootfitter so you at least have an idea and can question him and understand why he recommends one liner over another. Just in case yaknowww... You don't want to be recommended something just because he doesn't have what you want/need in stock. Which I think can easily happen since there are many permutations of the liners.

This link is actually really helpful https://intuitionliners.com/choosing-a-liner-model/

Power wrap or power wrap plus look decent to me... 

Thank Daveo, I already researched the shite outta the Intuition line and after speaking with the boot fitter, he strongly suggests the "Luxury" Intuition liners. Problem is is he is out of stock and I'm leaving for Mexico this Saturday.  

It's a double edged sword...going to a warm tropical location for 2 weeks in late January, while leaving your 24+ years in the making, fancy, brand new snowboard set-up home! 😢  

12 hours ago, daveo said:

The flo liners strike again!

@pow4ever mentioned forward lean. What is your forward lean on, by the way? Front and rear? 

Very good question...??? I'll have to check late tonight.

3 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

Thank Daveo, I already researched the shite outta the Intuition line and after speaking with the boot fitter, he strongly suggests the "Luxury" Intuition liners. Problem is is he is out of stock and I'm leaving for Mexico this Saturday.

Ah nice! Good thinking. Any reason you're leaning toward a tongue style liner and not overlap style?

Not 100% sure but I think most people who go thermo in hardboots, go an overlap style. Not 100% sure again, but I think overlaps are generally higher volume in the calf when compared to a tongue style. Not sure if that's helpful or not, but hey the more the better!

6 minutes ago, daveo said:

Ah nice! Good thinking. Any reason you're leaning toward a tongue style liner and not overlap style?

Not 100% sure but I think most people who go thermo in hardboots, go an overlap style. Not 100% sure again, but I think overlaps are generally higher volume in the calf when compared to a tongue style. Not sure if that's helpful or not, but hey the more the better!

Daveo,

No reason for tongue style over overlap style, didn't give it much thought? At this point I just want to get my feet into a liner and boot I can have on for more than 15 minutes!

13 minutes ago, SHREDSURF said:

Daveo,

No reason for tongue style over overlap style, didn't give it much thought? At this point I just want to get my feet into a liner and boot I can have on for more than 15 minutes!

Might be worth being sure on overlap vs tongue! Maybe ask your bootfitter to be sure? Or maybe I'm just overcareful!

I had my zipfit/mountain slope on for 2 hours yesterday while I was installing and setting up a new version of tensorflow, forgot they were on actually... Oops sorry, don't want to rub it in! :ices_ange:ices_ange