Note to New Members ×

What tuning gear do you use?

daveo

Well, with the season rolling around, it's time to top up my tuning gear! Would be nice to see what tuning gear people prefer and what process you follow (if any).

I've collected a whole heap of stuff over the years, so I'll have to get my box of goodies out to make a whole list but when I go to the mountain for an extended period of time I usually bring:

• 88deg edge guide
  • 400 & 600 grit moonflex
  • clamp
  • waxWHIZard
  • wax
Edited by daveo

• 88-degree SVST side edge guide.
  • Various files and stones.  I've been thinking about trying a piece of glass and various grades of sandpaper à la the 'scary sharp' knife sharpening process.  Too lazy to search out the right piece of glass so far, hoping something falls into my lap by accident.  
  • Beast 0.5-degree base guide.  I need to get a 1-degree as it's a lot of work to maintain 0.5 degrees.  
  • Wax Whizard for waxing.  Irons suck; they take too long and waste wax.  I haven't lost a World Cup race yet, so it's good enough for me.  ?  

Most are from Tognar.  I'm pretty lazy about edges - usually only sharpen once or twice per year.  

I made a suction-cup-based board vise out of a glass lifting tool a long time ago.  Works VERY well for glossy topsheets, only holds a carbonium topsheet for a few seconds.  ?  I wax by putting the nose of the board on a couch arm and rubbing/buffing there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Would you mind elaborating a little on that, please?

I find that any edge scuffs/dings need you to remove a lot of material to get back to a sharp edge.  Think of a 0-degree base bevel: if you have any ding you'd need to remove that height of material from the entire base and the other edge to get back to sharp again.  The higher the bevel, the less material needs to be removed.  

I can't feel the difference between 0.5 and a 1-degree base bevel, so I'm going with the 1. 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

I can't feel the difference between 0.5 and a 1-degree base bevel, so I'm going with the 1. 

I've always run a total edge angle of 88.5 (88 side + 0.5 base). I might try a total edge angle of 89 (88 side + 1 base) like your suggestion for my next board.

Nice suggestion.

I use a vanity cabinet cardboard box, which is the perfect height.  The bindings fit right inside the opening.  I lay a piece of plastic shrink wrap over the top, opening so when I scrape the wax off it is contained on the plastic and not too much on the floor.  I have a tool box of whiz bang tools for tuning, and watch tuning videos.  

6 hours ago, Corey said:
  • 88-degree SVST side edge guide.
  • Various files and stones.  I've been thinking about trying a piece of glass and various grades of sandpaper à la the 'scary sharp' knife sharpening process.  Too lazy to search out the right piece of glass so far, hoping something falls into my lap by accident.  
  • Beast 0.5-degree base guide.  I need to get a 1-degree as it's a lot of work to maintain 0.5 degrees.  
  • Wax Whizard for waxing.  Irons suck; they take too long and waste wax.  I haven't lost a World Cup race yet, so it's good enough for me.  ?  

Most are from Tognar.  I'm pretty lazy about edges - usually only sharpen once or twice per year.  

I made a suction-cup-based board vise out of a glass lifting tool a long time ago.  Works VERY well for glossy topsheets, only holds a carbonium topsheet for a few seconds.  ?  I wax by putting the nose of the board on a couch arm and rubbing/buffing there.  

Where do I get a Wax Whizard?  Google search pulls up nothing.

2 hours ago, pokkis said:

I carry X-Stand with my on car so doing plate/binding changes are easier on parking slot of slopes ?

I searched and found keyboard X-stands. Is that what you mean? Looks handy and fairly inexpensive. Nice idea! 

My box seems to have accumulated the following over time. Upgraded most of my stuff over a period of years and gave hand-me-downs to friends over that time and tried to get most of it on sale because I'm poor:

• Side guide: SVST Stainless 88degree
  • Base guide: Swix WC 0.5degree (no replaceable parts, unlike SVST). My BEAST lost its accuracy after a little while ? 
  • Sidewall planer: SVST WC
  • Abrasive things: 5 x Moonflex, Spyderco two-face ceramic, Dan's Whetsones black arkansas, various sandpaper
  • Wax: Briko-Maplus this season along with Dominator Bullet. The rest of my Dom stuff is almost exhausted.
  • Misc: Clamp, brushes, scraper, scraper sharpener etc.

Got my stuff from Racewax and Tognar mostly. Got my B-M wax from Slidewright. Race-werks is good, too.

10 hours ago, Keenan said:

Where do I get a Wax Whizard?  Google search pulls up nothing.

Ray's Way WaxWHIZard == SkiMD Pro-Glide, sold at Tognar or SkiMD.