Note to New Members ×

Tune My Board ?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. You are buying a used board, seller offers you the following options , what you be likely to add?

• Simple base grind for 20$ no edge work , no hand work.
    • Full base and edge grind for 45$, to my specs, no hand tuning
    • Don't touch my board!!!!!!!!! I would rather do it myself.
    • Full base and edge grind and then hand tuned to my specs for 65$
    • Repair any base gouges only 25$
    • Repair base damages and then base grind only 45$
    • Race prep the board to world class standards with my choice of structure and tuning specs. 100$
    • Sure , throw in a base grind , but only if it is FREE!
    • It would influence the purchase of the board big time in the first place.
    • Suggest you just take care of this prior to offering the board for sale.

Scenario ,  you are considering buying a used alpine snowboard from a trusted source,   the seller has verified skills and offers you an option to have your board turned prior to shipping it to you.    The poll allows multiple choices.    What do you think your choice(s) would be?  For sake of the poll , you are buying a snowboard that is in the 250$- 450$ range only.

You are welcome to add comments to this poll thread.

Suggest options that would appeal to you as a buyer in regards to a tune.

Thanks in advance. Bryan 

Likewise... I don't trust any shops around here to not screw up my board.

I take a different approach though - I don't bother. Keep the edges sharp enough, fill any deep gouges, and cut off any curled-up ridges that would catch the snow.

• Like 1

Agreed.   I have been tuning boards almost as long as I have been riding.   I have always done all my own hand work.   When it came to getting a board ground or sanded I have been fortunate to have a ski tech that I have known for many years.  I have followed him from shop to shop over the years and when Mike's tuner went away I recommended him and all the Tinkler boards built since have had his finishing touch.   In the past , when I have a board that is older and rough I have offered to have it ground for the buyer.   It has only been handy during the winter when I could go by the shop on the way to the mountain.  It would otherwise be an hour round trip drive to do this.   So,  I have been looking for other options for several years.   I am now closer to a new plan to allow for easier access to a facility that would be much more convenient.  Stayed tuned for updates. 

I literally block sand my boards ( lightly and with very fine grit using a steel milled block of course ) until a base grind is necessary

Very reasonable solution IMHO.   A base sander is often used to "Square up" or make the base flat prior to the stone grinder.  Keeping in mind that all the early boards were done on a base sander as the stone grinder was not that common until much later.   I know more than a few guys using electric power sanders to do board work.   In the right hands you can achieve some success, in the wrong hands of course you can speed up the process of completely ruining a board too!!     The alpine rider is typically much more aware of the condition of the running surface and edges.   We are a very exacting group :)