Note to New Members ×

There may be times when the non-alpine rider next to you just makes it too tempting and you feel the need for some entertainment. What will you say to explain the absolutely awesome carves you're ripping in the cord? All of these are to be said with a straight face.

------------

This board has a depleted uranium core.

I went to gravity focus training.

Google and GoPro are working together on self drive for snowboards. This is a prototype.

--------

Edited by SunSurfer
Clarity
  • Like 1

if no time allows for a thoughtful or considerate answer to the question;    "what type of board is that?"...................i glance to the board that i am riding and respond with it's country of manufacture.   i.e.,  "it's spanish" or "it's slovenian".  some boards work better than others for this.

I'm usually very friendly and will explain anything people want to know. But sometimes I'm not in the mood..

"that's awesome" they say pointing at my 185 GS board. I say "yeah.. It's what the rental shop gave me... this is my first time. Is it a good board for learning?". Just before sliding off and throwing down some monster turns. If they ever catch up they're always laughing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I'm always happy to answer questions. I do recall riding up with an instructor and her student, where the instructor informed me that I was not riding a snowboard but rather a "carveboard". She was all of 20 and very sure that I was wrong in calling it a snowboard. 

You could have proceedd to explain that she's riding a "jibboard", not a snowboard. 

• Like 1

"We're not ready announce the technology yet. Please... no pictures."

"Did you see Ester Ledecka in the olympics?"

"Yeah, I guess it is oldschool by now... it was designed March 15th and pressed March 20th."

"It's a snowboard. Works just like yours only better."

"Greenish blue?"

"Nice try. No one steals my french fries."

• Like 2

Yeah....... it does wear on ya as the day or season progresses....... same questions over and over.... Ugh!

I think my answers fall somewhere in the middle of informative  and sarcastic.....

For snowboarders I'll usually answer their questions about the  boots and or the bindings or I may just put it all together and just say .... what you got there is a butter knife.........This,   this is a scalpel!  

With skiers, they seem even more clueless but I try to answer their questions but it usually get's to the place where  I just say........Alpine Snowboarding,  it's an Olympic event...... Google it!

I try to be polite at all times. You never know where your next carving buddy will come from. If they're obviously talking smack to impress their group then it's game on. 

I find the dirt bike/road bike analogy clicks best with most people. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, workshop7 said:

I don't know how to snowboard, so I do this.

I fully agree with the polite method.  I posted this because I thought it funny here.  However, when I’m on the mountain I always choose to spend extra time answering questions about this unique sport.