Note to New Members ×

Catek Bindings

Mord

56 minutes ago, erazz said:

no more and has been gone for a while.

Damn. Does it mean we can start replicating their designs though? I'm considering machining a pair of similar bindings for my board.

5 hours ago, erazz said:

The Catek site is still up due to a pissed off hosting company. The binding company is no more and has been gone for a while.

They do still pop up on the classifieds every so often.

Wait — the site is still up because the host is pissed off?? As in "you haven't paid your bill so as an act of aggression we will continue to spend money hosting your site and serving your pages??? THAT'LL SHOW YOU!!!" Lolz. 

36 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Wait — the site is still up because the host is pissed off?? As in "you haven't paid your bill so as an act of aggression we will continue to spend money hosting your site and serving your pages??? THAT'LL SHOW YOU!!!" Lolz. 

That is the story I have heard. Same reaction from me. 

Still, the facts are that the company is no more but the site is fully functional. Go figure. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2018 at 12:10 AM, Aracan said:

Phiokka H1 shares some design characteristics

I’ve not heard of the binding. From a quick image search I can see it’s center column is similar, but it uses slightly different mechanisms for the adjustments. The basic principle’s similar though.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:12 AM, daveo said:

buy a pair of F2

I have Fintec heels and I don’t want to spend 300 dollars on a pair of bindings. Plus, I want to train myself on CAD and CNC milling. It seems like a nice starting project.

And, No, you can't jump all over International Patents: but, they will expire fairly soon. However, having researched the whole of pivotable canting years ago, there aren't too many ways past previous designs that will NOT. incur royalties.You're better off just Buying Catek as a Corporation, then refining the design from there. You'll want Geoff Smith onboard as well.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
Oops

Well that depends. If you're making them for yourself then patents don't matter. Selling stuff is different but honestly with the legal protection you need I can't see how any company makes money.

That being said, and being a Catek fanboy I would not make a binding like that. I would prefer a LESS configurable binding. Honestly, once you know what setup you want you don't want the flexibility, you want simplicity and reliability. I'm looking into how to port the 3D printed risers to hardboots now. These can have some flexibility and are much simpler and lighter.    

53 minutes ago, erazz said:

That being said, and being a Catek fanboy I would not make a binding like that. I would prefer a LESS configurable binding. Honestly, once you know what setup you want you don't want the flexibility, you want simplicity and reliability.

So you have a few sets of Catek Repli-cants® that you offer to those in need for the purpose of determining cant and lift values, then take the numbers acquired through empirical testing, and 'print' something to spec. Maybe incorporate a means of adjusting by a few degrees.

• Like 1

At the time, this cant/lift was the best engineered set-up (my design, Not explored by Caron, used 3 screws in a tri-pod base: Geoff Smith never saw that Memo, and went with flexed tension over a 4- point "table leg", at the Diner solution, which has been proven to 'wobble' in ways Tri-pods Do Not! ) in variable Cant & Lift. While the stepped disks-in-rotation that Burton and Phiokka explored were very good, the mechanism of securing said stance, well, they had issues in slop and predictability, and overall strength. We've all been playing a Lawyer's Game of who owns what, and trying to make a Predictibly Solid Binding for, well, since the TD-1 came out. I think the TD-3 is awesome for most, but, lacks the "tuning" for slight adjustments that arise. Thus, some riders get a set-up range that limits them biomechanichaly, with no other good options. A fluid range of tilts is the best hope in those cases. CATEK provided that where others could not, and still cannot. Having taught amputees how to carve, I can't overstate the loss of those adjustment parameters, but, knowing What Adjustments are Needed, one can work within the narrower paradigm. I prefer to have Options, though, just in case.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
  • Like 2

An image search of the 

On 3/25/2018 at 3:20 PM, bigwavedave said:

These look interesting, B63CED95-3094-43DC-B35E-81706A1557B9.thumb.jpeg.2000ba9093c7a2aa8f7c07c242e824d7.jpeg

An image search gave me this website: https://www5.hp-ez.com/hp/standard-s/page4/5

Scroll to about halfway down the page and you can find it. It's sold in Japan, apparently. Called "Nagano" and made by "Attachi"img_f20130603-092648.jpg.3b3924ac4aa87ac9d90dc218017505b9.jpg

I don't understand whatever language that is, but looks like Spanish.

2 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Italian.

7 minutes ago, Mord said:

Scroll to about halfway down the page and you can find it. It's sold in Japan, apparently. Called "Nagano" and made by "Attachi"

I don't understand whatever language that is, but looks like Spanish.

Yup, made in Italy, sold in Japan...but maybe not anymore?

On 3/25/2018 at 12:54 PM, neanderthal said:

Eric 

Sounds interesting. I would love to see & try something like you describe. How about a sketch. Maybee someone with skills can turn that to a physical reality

Yeah, so, as a Draftsman, I had those drawings, and they went to Catek. My 386/7 is done for. Got floppy translation for fast-cad?. As for the CAD-crap of a two-screw bomber-ish binder, you'd better start thinking in 3-D. I see Failure Points in a few planes of force, and a rotation to cant issue as well. This is "stable"?  Maybe, but since the over-leveraged spots are quite near current failure zones on TD's , um. . .. So, yes improvement is obtainable. It's likely inevitable. That's Progression, in all things. But, first, put past issues of poorer performance, convience, and durability upon Ocham's Razor, then cull the result as your baseline from which to start. Meanwhile, you'd be wise to see how conservative non-U.S. bindings have been. F-2 only recently had SG 'fix' the issues they built in. Snow-Pro has been doing this whole thing wrong since the day. Ibex inherited Burton's raceplate with it's precisely inept canting. I'll stop there, as Phiokka deserves no mud from our 'tween Winter/Spring Seasons, but, they're not quite right, either. Face it, we've been LIMPING ALONG FOR DECADES, with some compromises that work, but no one binding model that can, with minimal parts, adapt to many skill sets of hardboot riders. And, I don't see an easy, common base merger of hard/soft binding design from the base-up ( as Catek briefly tried to do ) in the near future. It makes me wonder just how many times we can shoot ourselves in the proverbial foot and still ride on?

• Like 1