Note to New Members ×

Quiver Racks - Transporting All Those Boards

Wolf

While people are still actively hauling all that stuff around, I thought I'd share ideas on how we transport all those boards.  I've seen people just toss everything into the back of a pickup truck, but I expect there are some much nicer approaches out there.  During the winter, my Honda Fit hatchback pretty much becomes a dedicated snowboard hauler.  Fortunately, I don't need my back seat. 

I made an upright rack that goes just behind the front seats.  It has hinges so it folds flat for summer storage.  The rest of it is a framework for a tarp that acts as a drip pan plus a support for the tail end of the boards.  Four boards with bindings mounted will fit.  A gray blanket goes over everything to hide it.  Here are a few photos:

(Yes, that's a 1996 Burton Alp 156.  Still a fun board plus I have Burton rental plates on it to let people try an alpine board)

P1030656.jpg.efaf04b5731a63eff63f36489a09282e.jpgP1040622.jpg.a04aedfc923257097b12b26c826b97e9.jpgP1030652.jpg.064295613e7e6c2503aeb7c6f6ab0ac2.jpgP1030661.jpg.8c13d39f05910eb1ec7600ea5d7bdeaa.jpgP1030658.jpg.c4b10253caf6db3f31e6b42549dfc546.jpgP1030672.jpg.4f49e37aad91a1c5b908cb112d90355f.jpgP1030673.jpg.eeb77a25d2f464507c5bb9e3540e3b8b.jpgP1030674.jpg.a8476b8f42d93666c075d989c9dea6c8.jpg

• Like 3

I haven't gone that far.  I just put pairs of boards base-to-base in Bomber bags.  Then fold down one seat in my Mazda 3 and stick the noses of the boards between or near the passenger seat and the B-pillar.  Long boards need to be put at an angle to fit.  I'll take a max of 3 boards with bindings.  Anything else has no bindings and nests nicely to one side. 

Going home I don't put boards in bags to allow them to drip, but try to separate the boards with at least one bag.  

Nice pics, looks like a good setup. I should do something like that in my wagon, but it would need to come out pretty often to get the dog in the back. As it is, I have a few long scraps of softshell fabric that I loosely wrap the boards in to keep bindings apart and protect the inside of the car. Not nearly as well put together as your setup. 

I have an old Thule Rocketbox that goes on the van in 10 minutes when I need it. I have it mounted to the crossbars and suspended from the garage ceiling on pulleys so I can drop it down when the van is parked under it. Tall door so it fits through when mounted. Last weekend I had 2 boards, 1 pair alpine skis, and 7 pair cross country with 8 sets of poles up there with room to spare.

Ford Transit 250 RWD, 500lbs over rear axle, snow tires all the way around. It is super sticky on snowy icy roads. Having room inside/warm to get geared up is wonderful.  Remote start on last chair ride for warm undressing...magic.  

Boot dryers and a small electric heater so I do not have to unload in the evening and gear/van dries out overnight.

First picture is just my quiver for a road trip, 2nd one has BigDogDave’s boards up on the bed.  

93301ABE-71FA-4391-A216-D44A9529DCD4.jpeg

30E068BA-EAAA-46D5-BAF8-F450EEC8F83F.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matthew said:

Nice. I roll with boards in a Thule Alpine box that needs improvement. Have been wondering what to build to put in there to stabilize and protect and gear and also to promote drainage. A project for the off season. 

Yeah, me too. Roof boxes are great for hauling gear, but unless I jam some strategic towels in there, the boards move around a lot. I've got cracks in the back of the box from where I've had to brake suddenly, and the boards have shot backwards and hit the end hard. I've also got some rash on topsheets where I've gotten lazy, and just tossed them in at the end of the day for the drive home.

My SX4 is too short to fit long carving boards inside ... hopefully the next car will have a little more room!

1 hour ago, Allee said:

I've got cracks in the back of the box from where I've had to brake suddenly, and the boards have shot backwards and hit the end hard.

If the damage is in the back of the box, that would be from accelerating and not braking... ;)

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

any fan of /r/vandwellers?

one of these day I dream to be a ski bum for a season or 2 :ices_ange

from the $$$:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63387

to something more $:

https://up.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2006-t1n-dodge-sprinter-camper/6496077737.html

Instagram for me - @projectvanlife and @sprintercampervans - although I lean towards the Nissan NV200 as the van of choice.

Edited by Allee

4 hours ago, dredman said:

Ford Transit 250 RWD, 500lbs over rear axle, snow tires all the way around. It is super sticky on snowy icy roads. Having room inside/warm to get geared up is wonderful.  Remote start on last chair ride for warm undressing...magic.  

Boot dryers and a small electric heater so I do not have to unload in the evening and gear/van dries out overnight.

First picture is just my quiver for a road trip, 2nd one has BigDogDave’s boards up on the bed.  

OK, you got me.  My Honda Fit is envious.  But I'm still claiming the lead in the wimpy little car category. :biggthump

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allee said:

Instagram for me - @projectvanlife and @sprintercampervans - although I lean towards the Nissan NV200 as the van of choice.

Also a fan of r/vandwellers :)

Just hoping that it's a passing fad so I can get one on the cheap in a few years when I'm actually ready. The teardrop camper we got last year is a start, but I think a van will fare better on the backroads and be easier for boondocking and in inclement weather. The teardrop galley is hard to beat though. 

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Also a fan of r/vandwellers :)

Just hoping that it's a passing fad so I can get one on the cheap in a few years when I'm actually ready. The teardrop camper we got last year is a start, but I think a van will fare better on the backroads and be easier for boondocking and in inclement weather. The teardrop galley is hard to beat though. 

I agreed... the price for class B RV have gone up much faster than I can put away in the piggy bank....  The tear drop you got sure is nice.

There is also JUCY:
https://www.jucyusa.com/jucy-perks/vans-for-sale/

wish I am more handy but the only thing i am good at is pounding keyboard for the man; and I am not even that good at it.

Ram 2500, got it brandy new (i put door window in) for a mere $6,500 more than best price i could get on a NV200 !   But this baby can tow my boats and KTM's in summer too.  Its front wheel drive (3,000 lbs on front axle and 1,800 on rear).  With snow tires on the front its a sherman tank.  And my other vehicle is a 4wd pickup and it gets stuck if driveway is dry but glare ice on sides (open diffs).  Put this van in same spot and it climbs out (the computer brakes wheel spinning on ice, torque goes to asphalt and away it goes ??.  Mostly 17 mpg.  

IMG_20180221_081336015.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, that's nice (or maybe I should say that's sic).  I drool whenever I see one of those big vans.  A while back I had the windsurfing bug really bad and rigged up my Astro van as a hauler.  In the winter I could slip skis or boards in the slots that hold the windsurf boards.  Your van is what my Astro wished it could be.

Dscn0064.jpg.e52f860177d4ba8ef95860b0e8b42e0e.jpg

• Like 1