Note to New Members ×

Winch a teardrop trailer up my driveway - how to?

Dan

So...my wife and I just bought a teardrop trailer off of Craigslist. We have had it out for a few weekend trips so far and it beats the heck out of sleeping in a tent. It weighs about 1400 lbs and tows very easily behind our Outback, even though we have the smaller 2.5 L engine. My angst is about backing it up our driveway, which is only about 3 feet wider than the trailer and maybe 75 feet long. There is a retaining wall on one side and landscape edging on the other, so I really need to keep it on the straight and narrow, which has been a struggle. 

Given that I'm challenged when it comes to backing a trailer, I'd like to push the teardrop up the driveway, but there are two short sections that hit 6 or 7%, and my wife and I don't have enough horsepower to push up those sections. If I put on about 80 lbs, I think we might be OK, but that is not going to happen in the near term, and anyway then I would have to replace my quiver ;-) That being the case, I'd like to put a cheap winch in the garage and winch the teardrop up the driveway backwards. 

The issue is that there's nowhere to attach a hook on the back of the teardrop, and that's the galley area so I don't necessarily want a big hook sticking out of the back of the trailer frame. The floor of the teardrop is flush with the trailer frame all the way around, so I can't wrap a strap around the frame or anything like that. What's the best way to approach this? As a newb to the world of trailers, I'm hoping to get some advice. Potential approaches that have crossed my mind:

1) Attach the winch to the safety chains (i.e., the ones on the trailer tongue). I would be pulling the teardrop up backwards, so this would make steering a little wonky, but no mods required. 

2) Attach a C-clamp or something like that to the frame in back, attach the winch to that. Clamp would obviously only be on there temporarily. 

3) Weld a hook  to the trailer frame in back, ideally pointing down so we're not bumping into it when we use the galley. Would have to go to a welding/trailer shop for this. 

4) Drill a hole in the trailer frame in back, attach an i-bolt or something similar. I could do that myself, but am uncertain if it's a good idea to make a hole in the trailer frame given the potential rust concerns around here, or if that would affect the frame negatively. Also uncertain if an i-bolt would be beefy enough as a winch attach point, though obviously I can get a big one. Again, given the concerns about knee knocking when using the galley, this might not be permanent, which makes waterproofing a concern. 

Which, if any of those might be workable? Any other, better ideas? (Other than "learn to drive a trailer, ya idjit", which is clearly the best idea but easier said than done). 

3 minutes ago, monodude said:

put a receiver on the front of your Subaru and drive/push it up your drive. that way it's all set to hook up and go next time

Great point - I have seen that recommended elsewhere, but it's not my first choice - still seems more painful / challenging than the winch, and I would hate to muck up the front end with a receiver. I would probably get it installed rather than DIY, and I think this could get spendy as it's not exactly an everyday installation. 

Have a friend back it up for you until you get good at it yourself.  Spend a few Sunday afternoons practicing with your trailer in an empty parking lot.  Setup several different courses with cones and work on it.  Getting good at backing a trailer is a much more valuable solution.  Eventually, you will need that skill for some other situation that you'll find yourself in on one of your camping weekends.

• Like 1

I'd be worried that any winch failures will result in very bad things.  

If you decide to try it yourself, find a patient spotter that understands that if they can't see your eyes in your mirrors, then you can't see them.  

Tip #2, don't be afraid to stop, get out, check, and pull forward as needed.  I did that a LOT when starting with trailers, and still do now if I'm not sure.  

What's your budget? Convenience will cost you money, but if you do it right, it will reward you with each use.

Don't push the trailer manually or with a dolly. One slip and you're looking at some damage. Better you can control the situation from above the 'drop zone'.

If you decide to go with a hoist, be it powered or manual, install redundant safety into the system. 

Maybe attach a tow loop to each rear corner, something like this:

http://www.rallylights.com/sparco-rally-tow-hooks.html

Then span them with a sling configured like this:

https://www.bishopliftingequipment.co.uk/hoisting/lifting-slings-uk/wire-rope-slings/

(The one pictured is probably overkill, but you want hooks that won't detach, and a central pull point that won't release in the event one end or the other pulls out.)

Then find a suitable (quality) winch with power in/power out, and a means of holding the load in the event of power failure. 

Edited by Beckmann AG

Hey Allee, I don't have a ton of photos of the trailer, but here's one, with bonus dog. The galley has some very cool slideouts: one with a 2-burner camp stove that stows below for travel (you can see it in this photo), and a cooler slideout with a cutout to allow draining the cooler. It is great for sleeping (no problem for 2+dog) and the galley works very well. Towing on pavement is great, but towing on gravel roads can be a little iffy. The propane tank and stove don't have good ways to secure them inside their drawer (I need to work on that), so they move around more than I'd like, and there are no shocks on the trailer. All in all, we're enjoying it, but I would be pretty interested in finding someone with a cargo van and switching for a few weekends to see if I'm missing anything. :-)

teardrop.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 6:40 PM, Beckmann AG said:

What's your budget? Convenience will cost you money, but if you do it right, it will reward you with each use.

Don't push the trailer manually or with a dolly. One slip and you're looking at some damage. Better you can control the situation from above the 'drop zone'.

If you decide to go with a hoist, be it powered or manual, install redundant safety into the system. 

Maybe attach a tow loop to each rear corner, something like this:

http://www.rallylights.com/sparco-rally-tow-hooks.html

Then span them with a sling configured like this:

https://www.bishopliftingequipment.co.uk/hoisting/lifting-slings-uk/wire-rope-slings/

(The one pictured is probably overkill, but you want hooks that won't detach, and a central pull point that won't release in the event one end or the other pulls out.)

Then find a suitable (quality) winch with power in/power out, and a means of holding the load in the event of power failure. 

Thanks Beckman! How do those tow loops get attached? Do you need to use a tap to make some threaded holes in the frame? I think I could manage that. Tow loops at the corners would be out of the way - much better idea than a single big hook in the middle, which is what I had envisioned

And noted on the winch with an e-brake - I will keep that in mind. I can't lie, I was looking at hand-cranked winches, but a power winch would be nice. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:36 PM, monodude said:

When I taught Halliburton new hires to drive semis, there is a simple trick to steering the trailer. Simply put your hand in the middle, on the bottom of the steering wheel. While watching in your mirrors move your hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go.

Thanks Don, I have seen that advice but it hasn't gelled for me yet. I will try it again though, I'm definitely seeing some good arguments here for learning to reverse the damn trailer :-)

You're welcome.

How you attach the pull rings will depend on the trailer frame. I'd assume tube stock, and for that I'd prefer through bolting, as the wall thickness probably isn't enough for quality thread engagement. Also, if the trailer has no axle damping, you'd be better off with lock nuts rather than thread locker. Other pull ring configurations might be more appropriate than what I linked, but I've not seen one of those trailers up close. Had the chance yesterday, but didn't realize that I was looking at the same model as in your picture.

If you have to winch the trailer by hand that distance, after a full day and driving back from wherever, you'll probably toss the hand crank into the weeds, never to be seen again.

Make life easy on yourself, and let the power grid do the work.

If it's convenient, you'll use it. If not, corners get cut.

As I said, rent a small tractor.... Tow it up, u-turn it, block it, set-to-go... Then go rent a small u-haul trailer, and learn to back IT up your drive (tractor b4 Subby?, maybe..). Or.  Hire ME to fly out and back that smoothly up for ya! You pay the Airfare, and some travel expenses to relatives I haven't seen in decades.  Either/Or..

19 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

As I said, rent a small tractor.... Tow it up, u-turn it, block it, set-to-go... Then go rent a small u-haul trailer, and learn to back IT up your drive (tractor b4 Subby?, maybe..). Or.  Hire ME to fly out and back that smoothly up for ya! You pay the Airfare, and some travel expenses to relatives I haven't seen in decades.  Either/Or..

Small tractor sounds great in theory, but a little impractical because the trailer comes in and out pretty often - 3 weeks in a row earlier this month. So, hiring you sounds like the way to go! You have to pay airfare, but I will drive you to Mt. Hood if you come out during the season ;-)

Update: I took another run at backing it up last weekend, taking the driving advice I got here, and it went pretty well - was able to get it over all the steepest sections to the point where I could just manually push it into the garage. I'm not declaring victory, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. So maybe I'll skip the winch and spend that money on lift tickets :-)

Slow and easy my friend.   I have been backing a trailer loaded with gravel up a pretty steep gravel driveway for years.   Come by some time and we can practice ?? I chance to see Chance and  your lovely wife sometime?   My greatest concern are the motorists that can hesitate for even a few seconds for me to get turned and back up the driveways. 

On 9/22/2017 at 12:37 PM, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

Slow and easy my friend.   I have been backing a trailer loaded with gravel up a pretty steep gravel driveway for years.   Come by some time and we can practice ?? I chance to see Chance and  your lovely wife sometime?   My greatest concern are the motorists that can hesitate for even a few seconds for me to get turned and back up the driveways. 

Hey Bryan, that sounds great, it has been too long since we've caught up. I'll shoot you an e-mail. Cars and bikes are definitely part of the challenge at our house; sometimes I just have to give up and drive around the block. Pruning our big rhododendron helped too :)

• 2 months later...