Note to New Members ×

Coiler # 1 and Coiler #2 in the quiver....next?

1xsculler

I received Custom Coiler # 1 from Bruce last spring, a 172 NFCB for my 150 #s 6' 2" body.

Bought Coiler # 2 from a great guy, SEJ, on BOL, a 2011 175 Classic.

I'm interested in free carving only at this point, i.e. not extreme carving, not all-mountain, not riding switch and not soft boots although I have nothing against any of these.

I'm looking for suggestions for adding one more new free carve board to my quiver.  Something about 175, 19 to 21 cm waist and fairly soft for my 150 #s.

Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I guess I am not sure why or what I am looking for. I want something to make me carve like Corey, et al.

You just need time on the snow for that. You have the hardware you need. In fact I would argue that buying more toys is counter-productive. Learn to use that NFC, it will serve you well. 

It can't be me or my skill level.  There must be something wrong with my equipment.

I should have known the answer to my quest before I asked.......of course it's only 100,000 more turns.

Thanks for the clarifying responses anyway.

Edited by 1xsculler

18 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

If you want something new, do something different.  Little boards can be fun even on crappy little hills:

Thanks for the nice vid, Corey.  Maybe I should take my Donek Axxess 162 off the market and give it another chance to remain in my quiver.  Then will I be able to carve like you guys do?    Oh......I still have to do the 100,000 turns....ok.

Edited by 1xsculler

I should be the last person telling anyone not to buy new boards.  I bought and sold more boards here than I'd care to admit.  Riding new stuff is fun. 

But, put some more miles on what you have and see if you can stop it from doing whatever it's doing.  Sadly, it's probably what/how your asking and not the boards. 

13 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

But, it fit the specs!?  And, there's no way he's gonna find a '93 Rad-Air Soul 164...

PSR, specs may fit, but you can't honestly recommend a 25 year old board? Let's not even talk about putting 25 year old bindings on a board and then riding it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeoffV said:

PSR, specs may fit, but you can't honestly recommend a 25 year old board? Let's not even talk about putting 25 year old bindings on a board and then riding it. 

Nope. They were nice boards, though...

I am taking the Cruzer out tonight to Arrowhead. She's only 31 years young, and there's no issues with the Variplates, nor my Raichle Concordias. But, in your honor, I'll pull the fin off before riding. And I'll be humming "Rocky Horror's" 'Timewarp, again' as I go!

4 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Nope. They were nice boards, though...

I am taking the Cruzer out tonight to Arrowhead. She's only 31 years young, and there's no issues with the Variplates, nor my Raichle Concordias. But, in your honor, I'll pull the fin off before riding. And I'll be humming "Rocky Horror's" 'Timewarp, again' as I go!

Oh god, please say you'll be in your Dr. Frank N. Furter getup...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plan A: Donek Freecarve 175

Basically, a different builder's answer to the same question. Just to see how they differ.

Plan B: Another board from Coiler, based on the one you have, but change one parameter.

Maybe go down to 165cm for a little more low-speed maneuverability - but keep the same sidecut radius, so the high speed handling doesn't change much. You'll find out how much or how little board length really matters to you. Or maybe go longer instead.

Or maybe keep the length the same, but add or subtract 10% from the sidecut radius. Do you want to carve faster? Longer sidecut. Do you want to carve at lower speeds? Shorter sidecut.

Maybe keep both of those the same, but change the width 2cm. Do you want to try higher stance angles? Or lower?

Maybe to 10% stiffer. Or softer.

Basically, change just one thing, to really experience firsthand how that particular parameter affects how the board behaves, and how that changes the fun factor for you.

I kinda did this, but not actually that scientifically - sometimes changed a couple things at a time, and half the time I went with used boards that were only kinda similar-ish to what I already had. But I found my happy place. My last board had different camber but otherwise identical specs to the one before it... which was a 2cm narrower version of the one before it... which a 13m-sidecut version of the one before it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surf Quebec said:

Get a coiler 0.4 metal.

Even more edge hold than the usual 0.3 metal.

I don't think a stiffer bit of metal is the right call, for someone who rides in Washington State!? It may be just awesome here in the North-EAST groomers (chalk, ice, groomed but frozen-in-place), but out in the North-WEST, things are a bit, um, gummier, and sometimes FLUFFIER. So, Stiffer isn't really the Better Call. 

BTW, I may an ex-Vermonster (now across the river in gun-happy New Hampsha), but I was born in little mining town just north of Spokane, and I've been to eleven mountains in Idaho/Wash/Ore that have chairlifts, and hiked another 6 (one blew up), so I am saying this as someone aware of what the local conditions provide.

If you want "similar, but different" then a Coiler Nirvana Energy might be the answer.   I've got the 174, 20 cm waist, low taper, 12/14 sidecut version, built fairly soft for my 180 pounds and it's the most fun board I've ever ridden.    

If you were a bit heavier I'd suggest the Donek MK... or see if Sean @ Donek would be able to tune it to your weight.   I have a stock MK and it's about as stiff as I'd want at 180#.  

If you want something longer and faster yet very manageable,   the Coiler Monster might be an interesting choice.