Note to New Members ×

sox?

1xsculler

The only thing that works for me are socks with a high % of merino wool, everything else gets cold, wet, stinky.

Unfortunately there are a lot of "merino wool socks" out there that don't even have 20% of the stuff.

That said, for now I've settled on the Smartwool Phd range of various thicknesses. Boots were molded in my thinnest pair so my toes are slightly squished when I put on the thick ones. Unfortunately the % of merino wool is steadily decreasing in Smartwools (used to be 76%, then dropped to the 60s and now its in the high 50s) so will be looking for alternatives. 

Edited by michael.a

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, michael.a said:

Unfortunately the % of merino wool is steadily decreasing in Smartwools (used to be 76%, then dropped to the 60s and now its in the high 50s) so will be looking for alternatives. 

Well, that's crappy. I love my Smartwools, which must be ten years old, but I've finally had to retire two pairs this season. I have one pair of PhD's that are still going strong, but I'll look at some of the options at MEC if that's the case.

Edit : Just did some research - looks like 40% merino is about par for the course for merino socks, although the Wigwams look good because they're merino and silk. Icebreakers are still around 70% merino though, and they're running all their ski socks out on their Canadian site right now too ..."goes shopping"

Edited by Allee

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 4:01 PM, 1xsculler said:

Just ordered two pair myself.  I'll let you know how I like them.

Just received my X socks and I think I'm going to like them.  They seem to be of very high quality.  I wear a 28 Deeluxe or UPZ, foot measures 28.2cm and I wear a US 12.5 street shoe.  I ordered EU 45/47, UK 10-12, US 11.5-13 X socks and I think the next size smaller might have been better although I won't know for sure until after a few days on the slopes..