Note to New Members ×

comment from Ryan's safety video

SnowboardingJ

10 hours ago, Jim Callen said:

I will add that being stopped in a blind spot, dropoff, roller, etc is the one exception I think can be made to this statement.

there is no exception, that's the point

If I am out with my daughter and she falls in a blind spot and you come down the hill expecting no one to be in a place you can't see and you hit her, it is your fault...there are no exceptions, only excuses for guessing wrong...should people hang out in blind spots? NO! but the rule prevails, people or things unknown down the slope from you are your responsibility...

On 1/21/2017 at 9:07 PM, softbootsailer said:

there is no excuse for you to hit someone else, no matter what they are doing, period!!!

just interesting situ: even when you're racing over closed for training black groomed slope too, leaving you unconscious for some loong minutes?..

it is not so simple to state that any jury may be done "no matter what"

PS yes, no excuse. lotta tears then. but head trauma for life too.

Yea that ruling with a skier on a closed GS run is just insane. Although I wonder what the mitigating circumstances were as it could be like that infamous McDonalds coffee burn lawsuit, the devil is in the details, and it may even be justified.

Edited by michael.a

On January 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM, michael.a said:

infamous McDonalds coffee burn lawsuit, the devil is in the details, and it may even be justified.

Using the groin as a cupholder was ill-advised, but McDs was in the wrong on account of knowingly maintaining the coffee at a temperature well in excess of what was considered 'safe'.

In short, they might as well have been cupping napalm.

--

Other than financial means, there are no qualifications whatsoever for fellow travelers on the tilted highway. Ergo, one should hope for the best, plan for the worst. Blame and assignment of responsibility won't restore lost mobility or enhance the quality of a diminished life.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Using the groin as a cupholder was ill-advised, but McDs was in the wrong on account of knowingly maintaining the coffee at a temperature well in excess of what was considered 'safe'. In short, they might as well have been cupping napalm.

For precisely this reason, I only wear styrofoam underpants. Of my own design, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I think and have explained to many skiers AND snowboarders over the years that passing any snowboarder on their back side is not advised and this idea should be taught and communicated. Being a relatively fast carver, both skiers and soft boot boarders see you bombing down the slope and they have to prove a point that they can go faster and point it straight down the hill and beat you down the hill.

It happened last night by a boarder and I literally could have killed the guy. I always look up the hill to determine if anyone is catching me. This guy came so fast and close on my backside that I had no idea he was there. I could have taken a left (heel side) at 50 mph and crossed the slope. At the bottom of the hill he was high on adrenaline and could barely talk, but I explained that this was very dangerous and that he was in my total blind spot and I could have darted across the slope and he would not have been able to avoid a collision. I was not upset, but rather explained to him the reason why people should not pass on the blind side of snowboarders. He understood and hopefully he will keep this in mind.

If this was followed and communicated with diagrams or posters on the mountain I think this would alleviate some of the confusion between the skiing and boarding community. IMHO

• Like 1

I witnessed a most bizarre collision, just before view point on Panorama. A snowboarder, sitting down after a fall, got hit / overrun by 2 skiers! I'm not too sure if they hit each other before hitting the snowboarder? One actually managed to thread the ski right between his legs, where the ski released and stayed, while the guy tumbled another 15m. The other skier went over snowboarders hand and took his glove in the process. Luckily the guy had some sort of wrist guards under! Amazingly, the entire thing ended without breakages or cuts, just bruises and sore limbs... I offered to call the patrol, but everyone declined...