Note to New Members ×

Vermont but where???

willem

Hi, planning a trip with the fam and don't know anything about snowboarding on the eastcoast

looking for wide slopes, doesn't have to be very challenging

options are stowe, sugarbush or killington

thnx in advance!

Edited by willem

Of those 3 Sugarbush is your best bet. Stowe second, but the pricing (on everything!) will kill.. K-mart is a horrible place to ride unless you know your way around. Best 3 you missed are Okemo, Stratton, and Bromley(tho, not late-season;gets slushy quick). The 'Bush fits between Stratton and Bromley, unless it's dumping snow.

Insert other media

• Like 1

I fully support Eric's statement of avoiding Killington.

This past season I was able to visit Stowe and had a blast. As in, it as one of those trips that entertains thoughts of abandoning my family. The lift layout makes sense. It snows and Stowe, despite being stupid expensive is a genuine new england town.

Additionally, an entire face of the mountain sits in the sun and and is very family geared (read, ice skating rink and snowsports school plus other family focused stuff). Great trail widths. Fun trees. When the wind blows though, it tears. But this is mt. Mansfield. I even had a hardboot sighting when I was there. That alone is probably reason enough to go to Stowe.

Someone else will have to talk up sugarbush. It's a different animal, but I can't say anything from firsthand experience.

Killington blows massive chunks. I think we are all in consensus.

I've been to Jay Peak, Killington, Smuggler's Notch and Stowe. Of the four, Jay Peak is tops but it's at the northern most part of Vermont so a long drive from DC. Stratton is supposed to be good but I wouldn't know because it poured rain the entire ECES last year.

If you can make it up to Maine, Sugarloaf is probably the best riding east of the Rockies. Loads of variety and a carver's delight.

Edited by skategoat
  • Like 1

Heading to Sugarbush for MLK.
I have never been.  Searched a while on the forum and it seems to get good reviewed but actual trails recommendation are far and few in between.
Mt. Ellen and Lower Snowball were mentioned.  If anyone is around; drop me a line :-)

Expectation can be a funny thing....

Beauty of Alpine snowboarding for me is that I seems to be able to find "great/fun trail" anywhere to challenge myself.  
However I am at the cusp of that break through moment where I can see where steep is "more fun".

• Like 1

Killington is getting no respect here, pity, it's got elevation and every type of slope needed, sunny or windy or chitty it works, its not like Stow, a ridge, it's got many different hill types, lots of off slope activity, and did I mention elevation.

Theres a train from NYC to Rutland, it's got great grooming, let's compare Stratton, right a wall of snow between every row of grooming at Stratton, all winter, Killington, just like Okmo and Sunapee, smooth.

On January 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM, pow4ever said:

Heading to Sugarbush for MLK.
I have never been.  Searched a while on the forum and it seems to get good reviewed but actual trails recommendation are far and few in between.

Raced on the Inverness trail way back in college. As I recall, it should be to your liking in terms of pitch and width. 

While at a certification event in the early 90's, I seem to remember a lot of 'funnel' trail junctions on the other parts of Mt. Ellen, so watch your back. 

There are a few decent carving runs at killington but I tend to agree with everyone that says it sucks. Tons of cat-tracks, the grooming sucks, and it attracts a lot of people that care more about whats in the lodge than whats on the hill. 

Stowe is great but not a great carving mountain. Very good town with lots of stuff for the rest of the fam to do.

I've only been to sugarbush once and half the mountain was closed. More of a local mountain vibe. I remember a particularly great carving run called organ grinder there.

Don't overlook stratton: solid carving crew there and good carving trails, plus solid grooming.

if I were doing an east coast ski trip I'd definitely look at the loaf: cuz it's supposed to be the best place on the east coast and I've never hit it.

Edited by queequeg

Back to my post for a sec.. NOT throwing any 'heritage' on this... But, I didn't 'slam Killington', so much as advise against it IF you don't Know It. It can suck, it can be grand, but it often isn't worth the Hassle, and, it invites collisions and confusion, until sorted out (I skied it often in the very early 80's, I went to WUHS, so it was there, Pico, Ascutney, or S-6). Stowe is decent, but no way to get 'on past' the Millionaire-club prices Unless you 'bunk' down the road a good deal.

Jay is great, but, on the wrong side of the international border, so, it, too, becomes a haven one must take a pilgrimage to, and, well, not overpriced, but pricey, because it's very fer from anything other than Moose, and their Hunters. Sugarbush has an Iffy side, with conditions, and then being actually TWO mountains. But, a benny is this; One side is likely to be Good!, and grooming as well as snowmaking have gotten better in the last few years.

Stratton, is a nice, versatile mountain, it's comfortable, large, decently groomed (usually), has good snow, and can be accessed from 'on hill', to your being in a local village at less cost (time being money). Okemo is very similar, but with (eek) less steeps, and, this year, more cost, but a predictable product, with options 'nearby' of cheaper lodging/activities.  Bromley actually, for the family, comes out with a bunch of positives. Easy Chairs, no 'other' mountain area to lose kids on, and the immediate area has options for housing and activity. 

Now, I worked at Okemo for 7-1/2 seasons, and then Bromley for a season, then Stratton for 8 years, while living in Reading (near Ascutney) for 22 years, Perkinsville for 5 [of 20 years of owning that property] years, so, I kinda 'got around' as an Instructor, pre-teen skier, and then snowboarder/instructor. So, while things have changed greatly over the years,...

My list of VT [for families] hills is like this: Okemo, Bromley, Sugarbush, Stratton, Stowe, Jay, Bolton, Mt,Snow, Smuggs, Magic, Killington, Pico, S-6, Burke, Cochran's, Quechee, These are rated by driving to them. Smuggs would top Stowe, IF you fly or train into BRRlington, just because it has awesome terrain (as does Jay Peak).

I did not include 'private' club hills like Haystack, 'cause, who even goes there?  Now I live 'across the brook' in NH, and, while these spots also have been 'local', I can vouch there's 3-4 hills 'just East' of VT that are worth noting. 

Best spot, IMHO, is Bromley, with Okemo a close second (Smuggs, but for "ya can't git theyya from heiya" factor).

• 2 weeks later...

How about factoring in late season snow? My son's spring break hits the last week of March. Looking for a good chance of decent snow and on hill or short shuttle lodging. I was leaning toward Killington for vertical and a nostalgic affinity for the place since my high school ski club went there each year. I'd really love to go west, but I'm pushing his friend's family just by going more than a state away. The kids are capable of riding almost anything with lift service and are starting to figure out dynamic carving so a nice mix of terrain would be nice. (they will freak out on a double black with bumps) All three of us will be riding soft boots and I'm trying to give them a larger mountain experience with varied terrain, multiple peaks, etc. The under 10 hour drivetime from Ohio is also a plus for Killington.

Edited by rxcrider
add note
  • Like 1

Rxcrider, Bromley faces SOUTH, so, it can melt out quick! Okemo or Stratton will hold snow better, and will also have really good depth of base. Okemo's Pipe is oriented such that one wall gets sun, the other gets icy (not MY idea to have it facing as it does, but, hey, at least I got the snowmaking, drainage, and separate lift I asked for, so..), but it'll be still there, which Stratton's might not be.. Killington will have snow until pretty late, But, many bumps, with grooming lacking in quality late-season.Jay Peak and Stowe/Smuggs  will hold snow well, with Stowe still doing a good job of grooming. Bolton and Mt. Snow are variable, dependant on natural snow at some spots, although Mt. Snow's Parks/Pipe hold up well.

4 hours ago, rxcrider said:

How about factoring in late season snow? 

I've been going to Duluth, VT, ME or NH for spring break for the last ~8 years with my family.  You cannot begin to predict late March.  I've been in blizzard conditions in late March and I've been in half the mountain is closed conditions and everything in between.

You take what you get... also watch out for Canadian vacation weeks.... they actually take vacation and will swell the population of the resort considerably.  Good on em'.

It's nice to wax poetically about the different hills in the NE, but if you're going in march, unless your buying your tickets now, I'd wait and see what the temp is and what's open, if it's a real winter, pick and choose, but, well, there's no replacement for altitude and money to make snow, Killington, just buy insurance should it be an 80 degree week.

1 hour ago, ursle said:

It's nice to wax poetically about the different hills in the NE, but if you're going in march, unless your buying your tickets now, I'd wait and see what the temp is and what's open, if it's a real winter, pick and choose, but, well, there's no replacement for altitude and money to make snow, Killington, just buy insurance should it be an 80 degree week.

I don't wax 'poetically', I use Zardoz Not Wax in the Spring, and look at base depths and grooming, plus exposure. I've had many, many, many great spring days at Okemo, Stratton and even Killington, and Jay Peak often gets 25% of their snow, in March.

23 hours ago, rxcrider said:

Thanks. Jay looks like my kind of place, but the lack of easy terrain may not be the best if the kids' legs get wobbly. There was a comment above about it being on the wrong side of the border. Am I missing something? It looks like it is in VT. 

Yes, it's in VT, but should be annexed to the Canadians, by virtue of making it cheaper to buy tickets to, and, 'cause it's about as close to them as you can get without getting Border Patrol involved! Keep in mind, we've two towns that the "W" ended up divvying up, one has a Library with one side 'theirs', the other 'ours'.  I've lost touch with many close friends due to this idiocy and paranoia. I do miss the days when going North was an easy drive. 

One of the things I really dislike in a ski resort is marketing hyperbole. You know, overly optimistic snow reports, trumped up numbers of trails and vertical drop. Killington is one of the worst in this regard.

Here's the true vertical of all New England ski resorts:

http://mountainvertical.com/best-skiing-in-new-england.php

Killington claims a vertical drop of 3050 feet. The true vertical that you can actually ski, top to bottom is 1645.

Edited by skategoat
  • Like 3