Note to New Members ×

Burton soft-launching new SB step-ins (Step-On system)

lonbordin

The softboot carving "revival" in mainstream snowboarding comes from the japanese snowsurfing and carving movement that has been going on there for a while. There's been a scene with specialized boards going for a few years. As Japan has become an annual destination of choice for most european and north american pros, they have been exposed to that scene and the "new" shaped boards, and have picked up on it. It has even influenced some pros to drop the high injury risk freestyle contest and video part scene to join a simpler and soulful approach to riding. Mainstream manufacturers and media have simply followed. Less spins and more style is always a good thing.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

and there you have it; slop is a desired part of the system for the bow legged skaters, bring back rubber straps :eek:

It is nothing new or hidden. Burton has been engineering slop openly in its bindings since the advent of EST and Re:Flex.

28 minutes ago, TLN said:

@pokkis

I always wanted to try one of those ski-touring boots for regular freeride board, instead of softies. They look pretty light, stiff, and supportive.

I use my scarpas for all mt and hard carving but they're unmodified; going back to my old raichles gave me more fluid and progressively resistant flex in all directions for surfin pow and better in bumps/trees; so, you'll probly want to cut down/mod the AT to get the flex you like.

see the splitboard tlt boot thead

Edited by b0ardski

8 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

I use my scarpas for all mt and hard carving but they're unmodified; going back to my old raichles gave me more fluid and progressively resistant flex in all directions for surfin pow and better in bumps/trees; so, you'll probly want to cut down/mod the AT to get the flex you like.

see the splitboard thead

Yeah, some day I'll do that. I want something compatible to top-of-the list softboors like driverX or Malamutes, but lighter, and with dynafit.  But for now I live in midwest, and I wasn't riding softboots, sice I moved states 1.5 yrs ago.

26 minutes ago, Mig said:

The softboot carving "revival" in mainstream snowboarding comes from the japanese snowsurfing and carving movement that has been going on there for a while. . Less spins and more style is always a good thing.

BRAVO for the Diamond Blade!!  I hope to own one soon for hardpack in Possum Pouch, "The Ice Coast's southernmost carve outpost."

BB :biggthump

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

I don't think that's fair.  Yes, they have to be softboots, they cannot have an external plastic shell anywhere, but that's it.  To me it looks like these were designed very much with function firmly in mind.  If they work as well as they look, I'll have a pair.

Yeah, I took it to an extreme.  Of all the people that I chat with about hardboots, the #1 reason they wouldn't even consider them is how they change how they walk.  Hence my joke above.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, corey_dyck said:

Yeah, I took it to an extreme.  Of all the people that I chat with about hardboots, the #1 reason they wouldn't even consider them is how they change how they walk.  Hence my joke above.  

My rough guess is that 80%+ of skiers and snowboarders don't care at all about performance.  They want things that look nice and are comfortable.  Walking in ski boots or hard snowboard boots is awkward, painful and sometimes dangerous.

18 minutes ago, corey_dyck said:

I figured, and I agree, but that's a separate issue.

Those people may well prefer rubber straps. My mate Ken has the new step-on bindings and he likes them fine, no quibbles or weird talk about skateboards. I'd say that they sound like a step (ha ha) in the right direction. Certainly if I have to hire or borrow soft gear (our baggage handlers are going on strike...) these seem like a better bet than those tie-wrap old things you normally get.

Why now: I wasn't aware that these may be stiffer/ more responsive. If they are, then the resurgence of carved turns could be something to do with the timing, I agree.

All of a sudden the children don't care how many spins they can do off a rail, they want to be able to turn and maybe keep up with the skiers. Weird.