Note to New Members ×

Starving for carving, but lost on first dedicated softboot carving deck

Sheedapistawl

Hello folks!

I am new to the forum and quite lost.
I am by no means a beginner, been riding for 6 years, spend about 20-30 days on mountain - mostly US north east (VT) but some trips out west.

I currently ride a Korua Dart 160, which was a game changer for my carving. I am 170-180lbs weight range, 6 ft tall and US 10.5 boot. I had no idea that I was just booting out on my 26cm boards. The dart 160 was a revelation at 28cm waist, for +27/+12 - but still at very deep carves back heelside would boot-out sometimes, I think I can probably avoid this with some fine tuning and maybe going more positive. My main challenge with the Dart was that I could easily overpower it, a bit too much weight on the nose and it would toss me over the handlebars.

This led me to finding out about Japanese/korean softboot carvers like this guy - this style of riding is all I ever really want to do on a board, its what I dream of most nights in the summer 😕 but I am really struggling to find a suitable first dedicated softboot carver that doesn't break the bank - I have searched these forums as well, please humor me with some directional/guidance on some/any of the below!

I presume I need: stiff, hammerhead board, long effective edge north of 120cm, SCR in the 10-14m range, stiff tortionally and stiff length wise, camber and ideally some early rise in the nose to be a bit forgiving.

I would prefer not to use riser plates - I have Rome Targa 2018 and Union Force 2017 bindings, both fairly responsive the Targas are quite stiff. Ride insano 10.5 boots.

(1) what new boards that wont break the bank would be good for me? 
Ones I have found: 

SG Soul 159XT vs 164XT?
This Nobile could it work?
I'm not sure if "BX" board = a good softboot carving board? are there others like this?
OES FR ? but in what size and construction? I heard they dont spring a lot during turns - this looks damn near perfect otherwise
I checked Alloy AZX1/DO, and boy I wish they made it in wide they are damn near perfect. Hoping there are some sales or something, even open to demos or older stock...going custom Donek may be the answer later on but hoping to not make an expensive mistake on my first dedicated real carving board.

(2) Construction: I have no idea what carbon, kevlar (OES), Titanal do in a board - any suggestions as to whether I should /should not look for?

(3) Bonus hail mary question: if you have something that may fit the bill that is getting less love recently and would like to find another caring home for it, please hit me up! (I'm based in NYC area)

I've tried softboot for some time and switched to hardboot. Some observations:

Long boards with big SCR hold a bit better. Longer effective edge and such. 

Both Soul 159 and 164 will work well, but 164 will be a bit more interesting.

Titanal rides smoother and grips a bit better, but also a bit more boring. I spend 90% of my time on non-Ti board in the past two season.

Risers make board feel a bit more "narrow" and faster edge to edge. If I needed to race BX I'd probably keep em off, if I wanted to have some fun - I'd try em for sure and then decide. 10.5 is not that big boot size though.

I got SG Force 165 Fat (aka wide), from a few seasons ago: 165cm, 145cm edge. I've posted it in "FS" topics. RFS: almost exclusively riding hardboots now.

Welcome!  I think the Soul 164XT is a perfect match for your size. 

Titanal is of more benefit here in the east, it increases edge hold by reducing vibration and chatter.

Shameless plug - If you're determined to stay in softboots I get that, but I will just say that hardboots are capable of even cleaner, more powerful carving with less effort than what you see in that video.  If this is going to be your only rig for all kinds of riding, you probably want to stay in softboots.  But if you're looking for a groomers-only rig to supplement an existing all-mountain setup, you should consider hardboots and an alpine board.

• Like 2

I actually used to the ride the 159xt soul(board in my profile pic) its a pretty good first proper dedicated carving board its a little soft in the nose than i liked but other than that it was very capable. I agree with Jack your probably going to be a little happier with the 164xt if you find your booting out with the dart

Agreed! If I settle for a 26cm waist width and just riding it at +33/+27, I think a ton of other choices open up. Never thought a US10.5boot would be sasquatch level for anything, but turns out it is for snowboarding.

Kind of surprised besides Donek and the specialized folks in the US, there is almost nothing that meets the mark. the Soul is about the only board I can find - tons of options in Japan/Korea, super expensive to buy and to ship 😕 The Alloy DO looked so so promising but at 25.8cm at the widest...I'm just deathly afraid of narrow boards, I was both elated AND depressed to realize on my Dart that I had been booting out trying to euro carve at 15/-15 (I just assumed it was my technique and not boot out)

@scottishsurfer that profile pic is the dream (kudos to your camera person, I need friends like that). I want to get my heelsides to look like that this coming season on whatever deck I wind up with. 

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

If you’re looking custom I believe Coiler can go fairly wide. 

Coiler, Donek, Jasey Jay, Prior can, and so can Winterstick. 
image.jpeg

168, 28, avg 10m, titanal construction. Made in Maine. I also have size 10.5 softboots  

You could ride super high angles on a 26cm waist board, but then you may as well be in hardboots. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Maybe @slopestar can help...

Thanks Jack!

@slopestar really interested in buying an AZX1 Alloy - in case there are some available to purchase in the US, what would the $ price be, and any recommendation on board size (i believe there are 155/163 options)?

some details on me - I am 175cm in height/160lbs, 10.5 boots, definitely like the Japanese/Korean softcarving style, and am based near the Seattle area!

• Like 1

Check with Liberation Snowboards

I have been having fun on the BX 163W with a 10.5 boot. It's in the 27-27.5 waist range. I run 27f 18r at 180 w/o gear. 

@hillb tested the standard width 163 last weekend. She liked it enough to pay for it and took it home. 

https://m.facebook.com/100063819782596/

I will have this board at MCC if anyone wants to rest it there. 

ink

• Like 1

howdy

i dont do much softboots, but tried recently Nobile N8 titanal - 168 in lenght and was very suprised how alpine like it has felt.

Definitely one of the boards to look at.

here is a vid how  N8 rides, so if you aim at alpine riding experience give it a shot.

I have 28cm boots riding at 33 in the back and 39 in the front - so pretty steep for softboots i think.

regards and enjoy the journey!

@1xsculleri think had a Nobile N8 Ti 158 for sale. 

Edited by slapos
  • Like 1

Tatsu is awesome! It's him and others from his crew like Char Huger that motivated me to order a Donek Saber this year and I love it.
Most of the japanese & Korean riders with that style are riding the Grey Deseperado TypeR
(I know Tatsu rides Kessler but I'm almost certain the Grey is loads cheaper and very comparable)
https://sbn.japaho.com/en/2122_gray_desperado_ti_typer/
I'm kinda bias as I am an ambassador for Donek and love all my boards from them but the Saber seems to really give me that serious acceleration out of a properly done carve and shoot me across the fall line like you see Tatsu do so smoothly. 
You could send the specs sheet from the Desperado TypeR or Tatsu's Kessler over to Sean and ask him to make you a Saber that resembles it. One thing to note is that Donek Saber and Incline are the most popular models sold by Donek's Korean distributor and because Koreans are so into ground tricks they like them a bit softer than what Tatsu and other riders of this type who are into pure carving would like. I ordered my Saber a bit stiffer than a Knapton Twin and after a few days or riding and breaking it in it really is the perfect board for this style.
Here's a reel from day 2 riding the Donek Saber and if ever you are interested in that model feel free to tell Sean to look up Jordan Michon's Saber for stiffness rating etc.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmxIAFJKNO7/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

snowboard don't matter, but commitment  does, that's why 95% people don't know how to ski or snowboard, even if they have advance gear, I will say, don't buy too stiff or too long board, because it will hold you back, normal all mountain board is more than capable for carving and EC, I have Eliminator wc titanial, 24 cm waist 154 cm, and with 43 EU size softboots, I don't boot out at 30 21, WTF 28 or more waist 😁, best board I ever had, why, its NOT stiff, has great flex, and I can really bend it, its also very light and playful, I had longer, stiffer and heavier boards, but no thanks, so think 2-ce before buying, again it's your input, not some bling equipment, this week I saw some carvers on old gear, let say 20 years old and I really enjoyed watching them, great riding, some food for thought

On 2/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, snowbobo said:

Thanks Jack!

@slopestar really interested in buying an AZX1 Alloy - in case there are some available to purchase in the US, what would the $ price be, and any recommendation on board size (i believe there are 155/163 options)?

some details on me - I am 175cm in height/160lbs, 10.5 boots, definitely like the Japanese/Korean softcarving style, and am based near the Seattle area!

They are unobtainable at the moment. This past season there were none manufactured because of supply chain. Production may be moving out of Nidecker to in house. 

• Like 1

Nitro has the Pantera model in wide sizes.  The only reason I sold mine is that I had a Coiler built for me.  The Pantera is an amazing AM carver, and $200-$300 less than most of the other boards mentioned here.  The new shape for 22/23 is really sharpe as well.  I would love to try the Stranda and the Nobile, but the dollar is pretty weak against the euro now.  For that money, you can get a Coiler or Donek.  

On 4/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Sheedapistawl said:

Hello folks!

I am new to the forum and quite lost.
I am by no means a beginner, been riding for 6 years, spend about 20-30 days on mountain - mostly US north east (VT) but some trips out west.

I currently ride a Korua Dart 160, which was a game changer for my carving. I am 170-180lbs weight range, 6 ft tall and US 10.5 boot. I had no idea that I was just booting out on my 26cm boards. The dart 160 was a revelation at 28cm waist, for +27/+12 - but still at very deep carves back heelside would boot-out sometimes, I think I can probably avoid this with some fine tuning and maybe going more positive. My main challenge with the Dart was that I could easily overpower it, a bit too much weight on the nose and it would toss me over the handlebars.

This led me to finding out about Japanese/korean softboot carvers like this guy - this style of riding is all I ever really want to do on a board, its what I dream of most nights in the summer 😕 but I am really struggling to find a suitable first dedicated softboot carver that doesn't break the bank - I have searched these forums as well, please humor me with some directional/guidance on some/any of the below!

I presume I need: stiff, hammerhead board, long effective edge north of 120cm, SCR in the 10-14m range, stiff tortionally and stiff length wise, camber and ideally some early rise in the nose to be a bit forgiving.

I would prefer not to use riser plates - I have Rome Targa 2018 and Union Force 2017 bindings, both fairly responsive the Targas are quite stiff. Ride insano 10.5 boots.

(1) what new boards that wont break the bank would be good for me? 
Ones I have found: 

SG Soul 159XT vs 164XT?
This Nobile could it work?
I'm not sure if "BX" board = a good softboot carving board? are there others like this?
OES FR ? but in what size and construction? I heard they dont spring a lot during turns - this looks damn near perfect otherwise
I checked Alloy AZX1/DO, and boy I wish they made it in wide they are damn near perfect. Hoping there are some sales or something, even open to demos or older stock...going custom Donek may be the answer later on but hoping to not make an expensive mistake on my first dedicated real carving board.

(2) Construction: I have no idea what carbon, kevlar (OES), Titanal do in a board - any suggestions as to whether I should /should not look for?

(3) Bonus hail mary question: if you have something that may fit the bill that is getting less love recently and would like to find another caring home for it, please hit me up! (I'm based in NYC area)

Hey man, come over and see us at winterstick we are on hill at sugarloaf! Lots of demo boards. We can build you anything you want or you can just buy off the rack! Surprisingly, the swallowtail rips turns better than most boards intended for hardpack… go figure! 

other vendor’s boards that come to mind, SG soul titan, coiler BXFR, if you want a surfy carver a rad air tanker. The larger dupraz boards. Oxess makes a softy carver, Kessler has a few amazing options as well! 

• Like 2

Well, I have another board that would  fit the bill for you. 163 titanal and carbon BX right in your SCR range. Optional riser plates.  

Insane edge hold. I need more of a powder nose with all the snow in Aspen (6” yesterday  ) this is just Korean style.  I’ll give you a great deal on a a board with more edge hold than anything else in its size range . And I’ll toss in a lesson should you ever get out west ( which you should - anyone who didn’t take advantage of frontier airlines, unlimited usage from the East Coast needs to have their head examined ) that in combo with IKON IMHO with gas prices as they are now …