Note to New Members ×

03 Titanal shortage

pokkis

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, buy enough... But, as I understood things, one issue was storage of the metal after it's rolled in sheets. It seems it can deteriorate in a fairly short time (I've seen this with several other soft ,non ferrous metals in machine shops), and the usual solution(s)  could cause later issues with bonding the metal into the construct of the boards, or be really expensive, with added steps in the production process.. Either way, hard for one or 3 small companies to deal with, and still be in the black.In any case, I'm glad it has, for now, been worked out!! Anyone wanting a new ride, one with Metal, don't hold back in buying in. Fickleness in THIS NARROW MARKET can be a big set-back!!

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

Now that I'm so far behind schedule I have to be brief.

Story goes like this

About a month ago I'm pondering how to even start to transfer all my designs to .4 and also realize that some of them may well just not happen. I previously had purchased 150 kgs of the .4 for testing and to start producing if things go well. So I send the good old begging and pleading email to the supplier mentioning that it will be tough if not impossible to build for lightweights like kids, women and even the Para atheletes I deal with may be out of luck. Ten days go by so I figure I'm pretty much not going to see it and then BINGO!

I get a message saying the rep pulled a few strings and they now have a 3600 kg coil available but it still need to be anodized so its still a few months before I get it. Possibly have enough left from my last purchase to keep me going till then. How it appeared I didn't ask and don't really need to know. They did up the min order to 1200 kgs so I am purchasing 1500 kg ( about $50 grand cdn)  and will split it with others in need. Keeping half for myself which will last me about 4 seasons at which time it may well be retirement for me if I stay healthy enough to work that long.  The shelf life issue has some interesting findings. Late last season I remembered I had a few sheets of .4, .5, and .6 sent to me as samples from about 7 years ago. It was in a slightly ripped up cardboard box covered in ripped plastic. In other words certainly not meticulously stored to keep moisture out. So I build 2 x .4 boards last season and they are 100% fine. There was some very slight discoloration near the edges of the sheets which get cut off anyways. After seeing that I'm confident 5 years is easily achievable especially when stored with the desiccant pouches as it is when it is shipped. Its a lot more robust that we all had originally thought. Since the anodizing is somewhat porous as that is how the epoxy sticks to it, that is the concern as you don't want it exposed to the elements as then the metal can start to oxidize.

So for now I can relax in regards to the .4 development as no need to rush. I feel it certainly has potential for more aggressive riders who want less twist and more grip.

I have a nice new 174 Energy .4 demo sitting beside me waiting for testing which should happen next week as we are finally going to see some winter around here.

All in all it has somewhat been a tough season start for me with my printer just being evil. Problem ended up being one bottle of bad ink which had microscopic crystals in it despite being new. Threw me off for sure. Also I was not planning to work so hard this season as the lack of material should have eased my schedule but obviously that plan got changed. OK, I did extend my summer vacation a bit too much also(-:

So now looking forward to carrying on with refining the .3 boards even more and getting going on the .4 development. Of course will also be doing hybrids of .3/.4 as that may add just a bit more grip for those who want boards to hang on that little bit more without locking in too hard.

So sorry for the delays happening around here but its just going to be a weird season with so much going on. Looking forward to a bit more organized scheduling once things settle down a bit.

BTW, its a long shot but I'm considering  selling the business if anyone wants to become a rock star snowboard builder . It wouldn't go cheap and has extensive amounts of  good build info with excellent  potential for someone with more energy than an old dude like myself. Would have to go to the right person though! Given the right situation, it would allow things to carry on after I'm out.

BV

Edited by Bruce Varsava
poor wording
  • Like 9

Fact:

1.  Bruce only working in the winter
2.  Never saw Bruce on Xmas day/eve
3.  Bring lots of joy to "kids/kid at heart"

Myth confirmed:  Uncle Bruce == Santa Clause
Thank you Bruce for the update!!

Maybe Bomber/Coiler can be the Alpine Snowboard Vertical Integration story in the making :-)

Binding + Board + Plates can all be made "in house".  With the Northwave Boot story on front page.  It's an exciting time for the gear head!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well that new demo .4 just made it here in Canada.  Bruce tried it and was very happy about how it worked.   It was a day of everything, soft stuff, choppy stuff and ice.       Can't wait to test drive it tomorrow, no shortage of ice here so I have high hopes. 

More to come

15645323_10154811129977346_1311024929_n.jpg

• Like 2