Note to New Members ×

Case recommendation for plane?

Comapedrosa

If you have the money: Sportube 2.

If you'll someday carry a powder board, and don't have boards longer than 185-ish: get the wider Sportube 3. 

If you don't have money and are creative/handy: make a replica of a Sportube out of cardboard. I used that for about 6 plane trips with no issues. Use lots of packing tape. 

Ski bags work nicely for alpine boards. When I fly, I use pipe insulation (foam tubes slit lengthwise) on the edges, nose, and tail, strapped on tightly with nylon straps from outdoor/camping stores. It helps in all kinds of ways. Makes the board much easier to carry, protects in all directions because of the thickness. Depending on my level of paranoia, I remove the bindings or at least uppers and carry them on. But I used to get taken aside a lot and questioned about the curious shiny metal parts.

I have used the Dakine padded ski bags for many years with no issues transporting three to four boards on most flights in a single bag. You can expect to pay between $80-$200 U.S. Depending on sales and what options you want the bag to have.

The sport tubes are awesome and I have one as well, but for most of my plane travel I use a dakine bag.

IMG_4076.PNG

I considered getting a sporttube at one point but decided against it because it can't be rolled/folded up into a tiny ball when stored, and would take up way too much space in my home (particularly given that it would only get used a few hours annually).

I travel with a DoucheBag (yes—incredibly—this is the actual product name ... but its a good enough product to get away with it). They have a great system where the length of the bag can be altered to fit its contents exactly, and you can piggy-back a second boot-bag to the board bag so they roll as one item. Its a pretty smart system. Being able to piggy back your boot-bag on the rolling board bag means you can carry all your stuff in one hand - super handy getting to/from the airport and hotel.

https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

I have the older version that proudly states the full product name on the side of the bag and its reeeeally embarrasing (but easy to pick out of a carousel). The new ones just say "Db" on the side ... I'd like to trade up but the bag has held up too well to warrant replacement.

For added protection: I've always just wrapped my board edges in pipe insulation and shrinkwrap and used soft cases - takes a about 5 minutes per board but gets the job done. Been doing that for years and have never had a deck damaged in transit.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

..which reminds me that you do need wrapping for boards if you put them in soft sided cases, or the boards will slice up the linings and outers of the cases. Pipe insulation is standard I think, for that. Bubble wrap isn't quite enough if you think about what happens to the edges.