Note to New Members ×

Tips for removing rusted screws from boots?

Longboarder09

Hey all,

While attempting to switch my heels from standard to intec, I've noticed that the screws fastening the heel have completely rusted through, making the screw unable to turn at all without stripping. Has anyone encountered this/ suggest any ways to remove the screws/heels? At this point, I'm seriously considering cutting the heel pad off if possible.

Thanks!

Strip it out, then drill the head of the screw off with a bit about the size of the screw hole.  When the four screw heads are off (assuming none backed out) pull the heel off and take a look at the screws.  You can spray with penetrating oil or WD40 and let it soak overnight.  Then hopefully you can use a vice grip to back the screw out.  If they break, you may have to drill them out and retap the hole.  If that does not work, drill straight through and T bolt a new screw in.  

Easy?

Strip it out, then drill the head of the screw off with a bit about the size of the screw hole.  When the four screw heads are off (assuming none backed out) pull the heel off and take a look at the screws.  You can spray with penetrating oil or WD40 and let it soak overnight.  Then hopefully you can use a vice grip to back the screw out.  If they break, you may have to drill them out and retap the hole.  If that does not work, drill straight through and T bolt a new screw in.  

Easy?

Edit: Just kidding, I guess I do have the tools required to fix this! ;)

Edited by Longboarder09

I've had terrible luck with screw extractors.  When they break in the screws, you can't drill them as they're really hard.  Then you're really screwed!  ( :eplus2:)  They work if the head stripped for reasons other than seized threads (#3 Phillips in a PZ3 screw), but they can't take enough torque to break a bolt free.  

Drill the heads off.  Pull the heels, and punch the T-nuts up and out with what's left of the bolts.  Then put in new T-nuts and hardware.  If they're rusted bad enough to lock the screws in, I wouldn't trust their retension to keep my legs both attached to the board.  T-nuts are cheap in comparison.  

• Like 3

I've had terrible luck with screw extractors.  When they break in the screws, you can't drill them as they're really hard.  Then you're really screwed!  ( :eplus2:)  They work if the head stripped for reasons other than seized threads (#3 Phillips in a PZ3 screw), but they can't take enough torque to break a bolt free.  

Drill the heads off.  Pull the heels, and punch the T-nuts up and out with what's left of the bolts.  Then put in new T-nuts and hardware.  If they're rusted bad enough to lock the screws in, I wouldn't trust their retension to keep my legs both attached to the board.  T-nuts are cheap in comparison.  

+1 ^ this

Just did all of this for my new heels  half came out, half stayed in. It is nice to have new T-nuts and not have to worry about my heels coming off, and it is easy to do

mario

• Like 1

Important not to allow heat to build up when drilling off the screw head. The surrounding plastic will melt easily. Use lubricant on the screw head when drilling. If possible use a variable speed hand drill (low speed)  with a new or known to be sharp drill bit. It also helps to start with a relatively small bit moving up to a bit the same diameter of the  replacement screws (not the head of the screw ). Apply petroleum jelly liberally to the new t-nuts If you fill the void in the heel after installing the new screws with silicone sealant it may help to prevent future corrosion. Stainless screws would be the best option.

Currently limited to a screwdrivers, a power drill with small bits,  a dremel, and a hacksaw. =/

If only you had a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. Otherwise, you're golden.  

Once repaired a split bicycle chain with a couple of rocks.  Sedimentary, no less.

Go with split-point cobalt bits. They tend to bite better than HSS with less pressure, which should keep the heat down. You can 'peck' at it, rather than trying to drill the whole thing off in one go.

Make sure you have some way to secure the boot, to avoid the very real possibility of drilling through the web of your thumb and forefinger.

Maybe pound a length of 2 or 3 inch water pipe into the ground and invert the boot over that.

Edited by Beckmann AG

As others have said, you should be able to do it with what you have. Drill it out, and +1 for lowrider's post about heat buildup. Use progressive bit sizes, and do in parts if need be, and just replace the t-nuts rather than try and reuse. As a few have mentioned, a screw extractor is great if the only problem is a stripped head, but if it is rusted in, it is not going to do you much good. I would say you could try soaking it in a CLR or similar solution, but you would probably want it out of your boot before doing that...

I've got a snapped bolt in my car's exhaust manifold that I tried to remove with one of those extractors.  The extractor snapped, so I went and bought a couple of new drill bits to try again.  After ruining the drill bits making a new starting hole in the bolt/snapped extractor combination, I tried another extractor which promptly snapped.  I had been prepping the mess with daily shots of penetrating oil for a whole week beforehand, but it didn't help.

It was like a metal turducken of failure.

The one time I had stripped heads in a heel screw I finally had to drill the head off.  Once I got the heel off, there was plenty of shaft left to get a good grip with vise grips, and it turned out easily.

So just to clarify, when drilling the head off of screws, is the idea to have a relatively shallow drill hole and progressively increase the bit diameter until the final bit is close to the diameter of the head itself, or is the point to drill through the shaft through the entire boot, taking off a little of the original T nut in the process?

Last night, I used a drill bit that, I believe, was close in size to the shaft diameter, however I drilled a hole deeper than the head of the screw with no luck getting the head to pop off. Perhaps I need a larger diameter bit? Hopefully I'll have access to a drill press and a milling machine tonight, as the batteries on my cordless are completely shot and won't hold much charge.

Edited by Longboarder09

Drill through the head with a bit equal to or slightly larger than the screw diameter. This will allow the head to come off leaving the remainder of the shank of the screw and hopefully vise grips  will turn out what  is left of the screw. Perhaps saving the t-nut. If you use too large a brill bit you run the risk of drilling into the plastic under the screw head and messing up the shoulder in the heel that the screw rests against.  In my experience a corded electric drill in superior to any cordless drill. Not as handy in some circumstances but definitely stronger and faster. Drill press and milling machine is definite overkill.

Post good close ups of what you are attempting, without them it is a bit of a crap shoot. 

For heels. I just drill outt he original embedded t nuts and leave them.  Why remove them further weaking the area.  New ones slip inside the shell of the old ones and fit fine in the recess of the shell.  Done this so many times.  I do it to brand new boots!  I don't trust the originals and I use SS hex cap head metric hardware to bolt the new ones in.  Done deal.   USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! 

PHOTOS , silly to post without them. 

For heels. I just drill outt he original embedded t nuts and leave them.  Why remove them further weaking the area.  New ones slip inside the shell of the old ones and fit fine in the recess of the shell.  Done this so many times.  I do it to brand new boots!  I don't trust the originals and I use SS hex cap head metric hardware to bolt the new ones in.  Done deal.   USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! 

Brilliant- I'm surprised that this didn't click sooner- drill through and keep the original T nuts and slip new SS ones in. 

This is what I have so far.

IMG_0319.jpg

looking good.  Suggestion:  drop back down to a bit half that diameter.   Drill straight though.   Then go back and use a bit (memory is 1/4" or slightly larger) to follow the smaller hole you just made.  A number of reasons for this.   It is easier to control, less likely to spin the insert, and allows for some error correction on the next size boring. 

I have not found ss t nuts, most are nickel or cad plated which is fine.  DO NOT flatten the tangs.  They will bite in and keep them from spinning.   Use good mechanical methods to install the heels.  I.E. cross torquing, slow and easy, don't over torque. etc. 

PS. Looks like you did a great job of staying centered.  You should have not problem.

Years ago I took step by step photos of the process ,  I am just not ready to search for them right now.  I think you are on your way 

Well, I think I trashed this set of boots. The heads did end up popping off after drilling considerably deeper than the picture with a slightly larger bit. However, vice grips could not get the shafts out- either the shafts were deformed due to too deep drilling with too thin of a bit, or the outer coating with scrape off, providing no grip. Dremeled the shafts relatively flat, but failed to drill new holes that were centered and perpendicular to the plane, though I did use a center tap and increasing bit diameters. 

Anyway, now looking for a new pair of boots, M27, else my season is over before it even began this year. Let me know what you have...

Thanks everyone for all your help though. This certainly has been enlightening.

Edited by Longboarder09

Don't give up so quickly post another pic and collectively we'll come up with a fix . Pic of the inside of boot as well. Unless this was an exercise to prove you needed new boots in which case you are now absolved and good luck with your new boots !

Edited by lowrider