Note to New Members ×

Tips for removing rusted screws from boots?

Longboarder09

Your new heels will centre the screws where they need to be once you have driven out the old t-nuts . Even if you still want new boots your repair job is still sound as far as I can see from your pictures. New t-nuts and it will look better than the before pictures. Post a new picture with the new t-nuts and everyone will be wondering what the fuss was all about. Be sure to retighten after a few runs or put the boots in the freezer overnight and then retighten.

You're fine Andy, punch those t nuts out, get new ones, reassemble and ride. Periodically during the day, check for your heels for movement and pull the liners at the end of the day and check the t nuts and see if they are pulling through, more then likely they will be fine. If they are pulling through, you would have seen that in your periodic safety checks.  To play off of Beckmans chain repair, this failure will often be more effusive than explosive

On a more important note, anyone riding intecs should be pulling their liners post ride to let the boots dry out and help prevent rust from forming, though I very rarely do this. I should heed my own advice, though I do check them every now and again  This is especially important now that the T-nuts are a critical part of the boot/binding/board interface

Edited by big mario

I have used a hammer, a big nailset and patience. The most important part is that you are not dissipating any of the hammer energy in shell deformation or movement,  supporting the boot side of the heel with a pipe or a 2x2 board will assure this. Just make sure your support is not on top off the fastener you are removing.  Judging from the amount rust in you pic, it may take some severious whacks to get the nuts out.  Don't be afraid to put some energy into it, and lose the rubber mallet

What tools do you recommend for punching out the T nuts? I tried using a hammer and rubber mallet and a metal rod to drive the T nut out, but it doesn't seem to budge.

Edited by big mario

• 1 month later...

Thread rebirth...anyone know what size t nuts are used for this job? Was doing some boot maintenance and noticed a slight gap in fintecs on my track 7's. Used pb blaster on the screws couple spritzes waiting for some penetration. Started to try gradual torque and snapped 3/4 on one heel and 2/4 on the other. Worst time of year to happen but after examining the screws, better than out on the mountain. Also discovered frayed cable that was about to go. Just looking for right drill bit dimension for replacing cleanly with new tnuts and hardware.

Thanks

5mm t-nut.  Fintec heel uses a 5mm x 20 mm screw. Original plastic heel used a screw with 5mm threads but the shoulder of the screw was 6 mm. They won't work on the Fintec heel.

Start with a 1/8 bit this makes sure the hole is centered then move up to a 3/16. Once  the head falls off just punch them out of the boot. Careful not to generate any heat. The plastic will melt faster than you realize.

Edited by lowrider

Advice is always dangerous- but- there are enough well-experienced replies that it appears an ounce of prevention is called for. Salt water from the walkways around the lodge, as well as sweat from inside the boots makes short work of cheap zinc-plated hardware. Anti-seize/ moly paste/ assembly lube are all names for the same indescribably messy goop that we use very sparingly on motorcycle parts during assembly; it makes things much easier later on. Taking the soles apart and lubing them, and installing stainless hardware if you can get it when you buy your boots is probably the best idea, then take them apart and replace the hardware once a year. I actually used to do this. Using the right-size screwdriver also helps. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a little tube of fine valve grinding compound and keep it in your toolbox- dip the tip of the screwdriver/allen wrench in the grinding compound and you'll be amazed at how well it will grip rusted, partly stripped fasteners- one of the best tips from an old mechanic I ever got. Then don't put them back in.

And please, please, please, always remember that WD-40 isn't lubricant!!!

• Like 1