Note to New Members ×

Everything old is new again

Allee

Stumbled across this when looking at Gnu's B-Pro for this season.

http://www.gnu.com/snowboards/zoid/

Better hang on to those old asym Burtons, it might be the next big thing ...

Anyone going to Aspen early in 2016 should keep an eye out, apparently Barrett Christy and Kaitlyn Farrington like to ride them at Buttermilk during X-Games week.

Gawd, I love that Mervin exists! Bringing back asym shapes after a 20 year hibernation period. I dated a girl who had a 165 General Joe asym. I wish I'd negotiated to keep that board in the settlement. Bonus points for featuring Jerry Only in the Danny Kass model marketing. I'm pretty sure the 80s version of Jerry Only would have posed for the pictures, then cooked and eaten Danny's skinny a**. Time is the great leveler...

Strange. That shape is even older than "asym" sounds. Recall, if you will, typical asym boards: On a regular board, the right side was pushed forward in relation to the left. When you stood the board on its tail, nose and tail sloped down from right to left.

On this Gnu Zoid, front and tail taper toward each other, like on the very, very old Kneissl Bigfoot board. Back then I wondered what the thinking behind that shape was, and now I am wondering again ...

I thought that it was April 1st already. It's apparently not.

That looks like the Asym Air/ Hot Le Plus type design. They have to be kidding. The entire point, I thought, was about fore-aft weight shift on toe versus heel side, which is as suggested is completely irrelevant for duck footed people. And also for those of us who switched to the "new race method" in about 1993.

Arguably the board's completely irrelevant if you're doing spinny aerial ballet, but even so that's odd.

Their videos have stills of people actually carving - there's shots of people angulating (!) and stuff. And someone even mentions Serge Vitelli. I'm still suspecting it's a joke. If it's not, perhaps there's hope for the old sport after all.

I'd like to ride one in softies, just to see what it does. Magnetraction edges on a carving board, mmmm hmmm. And dat rocker underfoot ... but maybe it's better than the sum of its parts might suggest. For $675 Canadian and special order, you'd hope so.

But then again, I rode TwoRavens asym core board, and that was weird enough for me ...

Edited by Allee
  • Like 1

Still trying to wrap my head around having one side with a shorter and the other with longer running edge.

Certainly not the asymmetric board I am used to with the same sidecut offset to keep the center of a carve between you heels and toes.  That said I think there is something to the feel of an asym and cant wait to try my "new" PJ7.

This makes the Lib-tech banana look sane

http://cdn.lib-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1314-Lib-Tech-Banana-Banana.png

The entire point, I thought, was about fore-aft weight shift on toe versus heel side, which is as suggested is completely irrelevant for duck footed people.

In the early 90s, I rode a twin "asym" Heavy Tools Longbone that allegedly had a deeper (shorter?) sidecut on the heelside edge. It wasn't a true asym in that a single model fit both goofy and regular riders depending on which end you pointed forward. The Zoid feels like a similar concept, except it's directional. I can sort of conceive this working for duckfoot riders, since the heelside edge pressure would be closer to the center of the sidecut than for toeside, which would be closer to the tips. Then the rational part of my brain starts to rebel and I find I can't think clearly any more. I don't recall the Longbone riding any differently for me.

For more Mervin madness, try this one for size. When Mervin's marketing is indistinguishable from trolling or April Fool's jokes, you know they've hit their sweet spot.

Edited by lordmetroland

In the early 90s, I rode a twin "asym" Heavy Tools Longbone that allegedly had a deeper (shorter?) sidecut on the heelside edge. It wasn't a true asym in that a single model fit both goofy and regular riders depending on which end you pointed forward. 

I had a Crazy Banana that was shaped similarly.   I didn't even understand what carving was at the time so it was rather pointless for me.  

I had a Crazy Banana that was shaped similarly.   I didn't even understand what carving was at the time so it was rather pointless for me.  

I rode it in Snow Pro Varios and Koflach Superpipes and do recall being sucked into the inescapable heelside carve vortex a couple of times. I suspect this had less to do with the fancy asym design than something I did to deserve it!

What's wrong Jean-Luc Michaud...technological faux pas giving you a headache!!!

I don't know, but obviously he's *an actor*, so I it's unlikely that his opinions are actually evidence based, in my experience of actors and evidence. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but intelligence isn't a qualification for their jobs, I believe. Yes, I have missed the point.