Note to New Members ×

"The snowboard parallel slalom event, has been proposed to be dropped from the Olympic program."

piciu

Still think I would choose parallel slalom to co-ed curling.  When I lived in London the BBC would show all sorts of events that I have never seen on US TV.  All in sports where the UK had a chance to medal.  Must say, there sure are a lot of sports that don't make for interesting viewing.  Air pistol anyone?

I feel sorry for all those kids who have been giving their all for the last few years. 

my thoughts, exactly.  whatever IOC rule allows for these changes (up to 3 years prior to the start of the games),  only take into account a small portion the amount of time spent in preparation.  it would have to be devastating, on a personal level. 

But they added mixed doubles curling... :barf:

They also added snowboard big air, sigh. I guess it's more telegenic for the non-winter-sports participant audience, but at this rate they might as well just give the Winter X games the Winter Olympics franchise. 

I was suprised at first as IOC took PSL into the Olymics Games. There was no serios reason for a second snowboard PAR event at the Olymics.

We should know Russians take it as a good thing to have PSL at Sochi, even because Russian riders won some Worldcup medals on PSL the Years before. Putin had the goal to collect as many medals as possible for his country reputation. Then his athletes wons the most of them at least.

Russia had the power and enough money to let the IOC members vote for a PSL race at Sochi Olympic games.

Now Sochi is over!

So no more demand of less interessting Wintersports at all.

( see my conclusions here )

I don't think some internet-based votes can have the same power like some good Dollars sliding into the pocket of IOC members.

We can be still happy about, PGS remains on the Olympic games. Even SBX too. Together with Snowboardcross (SBX) these are wintersports with very vew spectators beside the races. So no realy good choice for big games.

In case of SBX we should know Snowboard-cross is substituted fully by Ski-cross now.

There over in the Alps, we can find hosters of many Years SBX which denided SBX recently and switched the last vew Years to Skicross only. Same work, same costs, but much more advertising for the hosting resort.

I was suprised at first as IOC took PSL into the Olymics Games.

I signed the petition, but to play devil's advocate...

To the extent that the general public does not fully appreciate the alpine discipline, I am not convinced a second format actually increases exposure to the sport.  I suspect the general public would have a hard time distinguishing between the PS and PGS formats, so what incentive does a TV network to put it on air?

The snowboard racing, in general, needs propper timed 2 run GS, 2 run Parallel SL and SBX. That would, more or less, cover all aspects of the sport, and give nice variety to spectators.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, the fight is not over yet! We have until the end of July to campaign for a reversal and I want to ask you all to help get people to sign the petition. There is high level lobbing going on to change the IOC's mind but we need to have the public's awareness and support. I know it's easy to get down and feel like no one cares, but remember you are all ambassadors for our sport and please shout from the rooftops to make a difference! Every signature helps and every voice matters, the fight is not over yet.

Thanks! Everett

ioc-don-́t-remove-the-parallel-slalom-from-the-olympic-schedule-2018-2b23b84b-293a-4307-ae1e-ac88dd747787

• Like 1

The snowboard racing, in general, needs propper timed 2 run GS, 2 run Parallel SL and SBX. That would, more or less, cover all aspects of the sport, and give nice variety to spectators.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We need Super G and Downhill too. Back when we had those races the carnge was the main attraction

yeah gs + psl or pgs in world cup and games would be nice anyway the petition got thousands of signatures so not bad and benjamin karl shared on facebook a week ago that quite surprisingly the head of austrian fis expressed his support in trying to keep psl in the games

I could get behind either super-g or single format gs + PSL and give that cart a shove, but two dual format events is a bit redundant. 

The casual observer might also conclude that dropping dual GS in favor of PSL might actually grow participation in gated snowboard events.

We need Super G and Downhill too. Back when we had those races the carnge was the main attraction

Carnge sounds like a metal band from the '80s. 

Edited by Beckmann AG

This would be a good time to do a little soul-searching for the larger snowboarding community and ask ourselves if the parallel format has helped snowboarding or hurt it. My personal opinion, and I am no expert on the topic, is that the way an alpine snowboard can turn (quick turn-in, rider incredibly low to the ground) as compared to skiing is completely wasted with the parallel format (especially GS).  A single format would allow for larger, more dynamic courses that would both challenge the rider more and provide a more entertaining viewing experience for television.  My opinion only.  

While I certainly hope nothing is dropped from the program, I do think this is predictive of the future of snowboard racing in the parallel format.  

Sad, but I suppose there's a logic to it.  I just don't see the logic of adding big air when they already have halfpipe.  

Now, they could make up for losing PSL by designing SBX courses that are less about the huge jumps and more about carving and turning skills.  Making SBX competitive arena for both hardbooters and softbooters would add a dimension of strategy.  A change in that direction could make it safer (fewer serious wrecks), and with more close finishes, too.