Note to New Members ×

Who rides the "Pureboarding" style

Bobby Buggs

Hi Hans

Surfing, skateboarding, ECing and Pureboarding have the same rotational foundation/roots (hips included).  The board, boot, binding set up for EC and PB have different goals and way of attacking the mountain, but the foundation of the technique is the same.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob, for clearing this out.

Hi Hans

Surfing, skateboarding, ECing and Pureboarding have the same rotational foundation/roots (hips included).  The board, boot, binding set up for EC and PB have different goals and way of attacking the mountain, but the foundation of the technique is the same.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob, for clearing this out. I always thought that the hips stay in the same place, just turning the shoulders and upper body.

I've been to three of these events now and my carving has benefited each time.  I have to confess that I'm not very good at this and still haven't succeeded in pulling off a layout (that didn't end in a fall).  But, what Joerg and the Pureboarders have been able to beat into my thick skull is not so much the proper rotation, but getting rid of the evil counter-rotation.   This has been a big help in carving on steeper sections of the hill and on ice, crud, and frozen cat tracks.

The last two years I was able to demo their boards - and they really do work well in the crap snow and narrow runs we have on the right coast.  When not riding the Pureboarding 

I plan to be there, it's always a fun event.

But, what Joerg and the Pureboarders have been able to beat into my thick skull is not so much the proper rotation, but getting rid of the evil counter-rotation.   This has been a big help in carving on steeper sections of the hill and on ice, crud, and frozen cat tracks.

Can you say a bit more about this? Where does the counter-rotation come in to play?

Whach this carver here:

intermediate_skill_carver.JPG

He seems to imitate the style of Pureboarding (clothing, turns he did before and so on). But due to his, I would say average/intermediate skill only, he wasn't able at all to do cut some nice trenches there.

So you are passing summary judgement on his skill based on one photo?

^snowmatic

That carver you are referring to in the first photo IS Pureboarding...Joerg  :confused:  

I have it on good authority that Joerg is more than moderately skilled. :eplus2:

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Hello

Whats the diff between EC and Pureboard?

The EC style is about laydowns and the technique required to get them down pat.

Pureboarding is about a technique which is adaptable for anything you might encounter, from moguls to pow to laydowns

I agree with the statement above, but would like to 'split hairs' or be a bit picky with the wording; the words style vs technique in particular.

The rotational technique is IMHO a very versatile one that is good for riding everything from groomers, powder, or moguls.  

EC and PB 'techniques' have the same Swiss Rotational roots; the techniques are the same at it's foundation.

The equipment set up of ECing and PBing have been designed to meet different goals, as stated above.

The equipment and set up for PB better meets an all mountain ride, the equipment and set up for EC better meets fully laid out turns best; even though they are both using the same technique and are both capable of laid out turns and all mountain riding.

As the same technique is pushed in different directions, with different equipment set ups and design goals, with different riders, different styles emerge.

Both styles, under the basic foundation of a single technique, are both really cool IMHO.

Cheers
Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

So you are passing summary judgement on his skill based on one photo?

I have it on good authority that Joerg is more than moderately skilled. :eplus2:

And indeed many have witnessed Joerg carve a trench or two Pureboard stylzzz

post-3685-0-29252700-1421272992_thumb.jp

This was in a mixture of variable afternoon east-coast (Mont Blanc) crud.  He was ripping it in this stuff and as others have pointed out, the PB concept allows riders to adapt to any conditions.

You know what blows my mind about Joerg?

1. He's an impossibly nice and enthusiastic guy.

2. He's a regular-foot rider. But his left knee is messed up from an incident - the weight of the board hurts it on the chairlift. So he SWITCHED to goofy. Switched. And still rips better than most of us. Damn...

I also don't understand how he even keeps his back foot in his binding with all the free-play he has in the bails. I think he just tells it to stay there in 4 languages or something.

• Like 1

That Line you just left in the snow...thats your signature...most Snowboard race course track, is f.cked up somewhere from someone setting a gate to tight, like for Skis, this is why typically watching snowboard racing is such a Joke...great recovery, but look at the track...it is like a guitar string with a kink in it...you go fast, so what, You Win, so what...Snowboarding started ( someone stepped on a Ski or Toboggan ), then someone said, Lets Race...( FIS ) someone said, Let me Teach You ( Ski School )...Someone said lets Skateboard on the Snow( Transworld ), someone said lets Surf on the Snow ( Poppen and Winterstick examples ), you understand ? someone always tells everybody else what is correct because they want to be Right about it...or they want to earn a living from it, when they should be just sharing Stoke...Stoke is the Key to Good Snowboarding, Joerg has come to Aspen for many years now...He is Stoked and the People he brings are Stoked...I am Stoked that the PB boys and girls will be here soon and we can all share the Stoke once again... :biggthump

Can you say a bit more about this? Where does the counter-rotation come in to play?

Forgive me if I am being unclear, English is not my first language. That said:

When you want your board to make a turn (especially a drifted turn), you need to transmit torque to it.* This turning moment can originate in one of two ways:

1 Pre-rotation ("pre" because you rotate before your board does): The torso (including the hips) rotates. This creates torque which is transmitted to the board through the legs and feet. The board then follows the impulse created by your torso.

2 Counter-rotation: You push the board into the turn with your legs and feet. This turning moment must have something to brace against. You use your torso as a torque plate, so to speak, by rotating it against the direction of your turn, thus giving your legs something to push against on their upper end.

Strangely, the latter seems to be more intuitive, especially for beginners.

Also, RCrobar:

I agree with the statement above, but would like to 'split hairs' or be a bit picky with the wording; the words style vs technique in particular.

I completely agree with everything you said in that post, don't know why I used "style" for one and "technique" for the other.

*You can just put it on edge, and it will carve a turn on that edge. But that is a drill, "The Norm", not what we usually do when riding.

• Like 1

I also don't understand how he even keeps his back foot in his binding with all the free-play he has in the bails. I think he just tells it to stay there in 4 languages or something.

LOL...amazing

Edited by Hilux

Forgive me if I am being unclear, English is not my first language. That said: 

2 Counter-rotation: You push the board into the turn with your legs and feet. This turning moment must have something to brace against. You use your torso as a torque plate, so to speak, by rotating it against the direction of your turn, thus giving your legs something to push against on their upper end.

Ah, exactly what I was looking for. Symptoms typically present on heelside turns, the result being that ugly, straight-legged, butt out, mummy-armed contortion that makes my eyes water when I see it. Great description. Now I have to make sure I'm not doing it!

Symptoms typically present on heelside turns, the result being that ugly, straight-legged, butt out, mummy-armed contortion that makes my eyes water when I see it.

Haha, best description EVER! I LOLed and pictured exactly that position.

• Like 1

When you want your board to make a turn (especially a drifted turn), you need to transmit torque to it.* This turning moment can originate in one of two ways:

There are many ways to skin a cat... 

You do not necessarily need the "turning moment", even for a drifted (sliding) turn. Put the board on the edge, weigh the nose more then the tail through the beginning and middle of the turn - the board will drift. Allow the body to stay aligned with your stance angle and voila: drifted turn without rotation or counter rotation. 

As for the counter rotation, as much as it is a bad thing for the beginners, it is necessity for certain situations. Like very tight moguls, or very tight slalom turns - you simply do not have time to pre-rotate or even just follow with the body. You allow the legs/board to switch back and forth while body follows more direct line down the fall line. One obvious example would be a mogul skier, with total upper and lower body separation. The other would be the "power counter-rotation" that initiates from the tension in the core. 

The difference is the swinging of the body/arms wildly (beginners) vs. highly controlled actions described above. 

Toeside - 70% weight on back toes

Heelside - 70% weight on front heel

If a regular-footed rider rode a goofy asym, that arrangement might be optimal.  

He, he, well said,  I was considering to try this for couple of years. Our conditions are so bad and runs so limited this year, that I might just try it for gigs :) 

Edited by BlueB

Ah, exactly what I was looking for. Symptoms typically present on heelside turns, the result being that ugly, straight-legged, butt out, mummy-armed contortion that makes my eyes water when I see it. Great description. Now I have to make sure I'm not doing it!

Zombie takin a dump