Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, Friday will at least be "warm" with a bit of snow falling. I can't make it though, so still thinking about Saturday, early as usual. Looks like it will be windy Saturday, behind the clipper, which is forecast to drop 3-4" on Spirit through Friday night. With races on Gandy and Blue Ruin, will likely be riding on the express lift side.

Seems lately we've had a choice of 2 types of weather; sunny with subzero temps or overcast (flat light) with above zero temps, both with blustery winds. I'm liking the sunny days better.

Arrived at 8:30 and ended up parking in the upper lot as everything was full for the USSA ski races. Took one run over on the Gandy lift, which was running early, and then over to get the first chair on the express lift. Rode mostly #10,11,12 til about 3:30. Rode several runs with Jim (bruincounsilor) and his buddy on skiis then Ken showed up for several runs. The snow was great, firm, had a blast on the rev180 all day, bright sun and clear blue skies and the 20-30 below windchills kept the crowds down.

Sorry no pics from this picture-perfect day.

Mini Posse

Put my gear in the car this morning intending to ride this evening, but then later this afternoon was ambivalent about going out ....it'll be all scraped off and probably crowded and still kinda cold.....but decided to go nonetheless. I get to the base of the Express lift after my first run to find Ryan clipping in, then several runs later hooked up with Ken and Jane. Firm, but not scraped off, and the usual light evening traffic. The conditions and the company made for a great evening of riding - thanks guys!

Russ

Pleasant night at Spirit for a change. Good hard pack, light winds and temps above zero. Getting the Donek Rev157 dialed in better with moving the bindings forward by a full insert (thanks Dave, enjoy SES).

Got slammed at high speed from behind by a rider coming off the knoll on 4Pipe. I was way outside of the landing zone. Anyways, I was wearing my POC Spine VPD Tee, helmet and Hip VPD 2.0 shorts - rode away from that with a mildly bruised left shoulder and a black eye.

Didn't damage the board, either :)

Probably would have had at least a broken collar bone without the armor. A lesson learned from last years encounter with Kryptonite.

Hope to get out tomorrow night if not too stiff.

Pleasant night at Spirit for a change...<snip> - rode away from that with a mildly bruised left shoulder and a black eye.

Dagum... Spirit's a tough hill. Wonder what a unpleasant night is like?! :eek:

:smashfrea

Glad to hear your not permanently injured!

Edited by lonbordin

Got home from SES early this morning. Had a bad crash on Wed and sprained my knee. Going from a heel-side, fast with lots of pressure in fairly soft, trenched-up snow, and as I was transitioning to a toe-side I heard a metallic "ping" as my board suddenly went all squirrelly. My first thought was a broken bail as I went head over heel several times with some rotation thrown in. Funny how it seems like it happens in slow motion. I can remember each tug and pull on different tissues and thinking, "oh, this isn't gonna be good".

I came to a stop sitting, both feet still connected to the board, all shook up, but no apparent equipment damage, no obvious broken body parts, but a very unstable and painful knee. End of trip! The metallic "ping"? BTS spring? or did I hit something, maybe a ski pole groomed into the snow under the chair?

Dave, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Our son, Bryan, had a badly comminuted fibula fracture several years ago, and Dr. Gary Fetzer, orthopedics and sports medicine at Tria in the cities put him back together. The next year, he was able to complete an Iron Man. He has our recommendation.

I wonder if that 'metallic ping' could have been failure of the metal layer in your board under stress? Hope this heals quickly. Ken

Saturday, February 8

Typical (for this season at least) sub-zero temperature at the start, but for once the wind backed off, so with the bright sun it was quite pleasant. Collegiate racing on the Gandy side, but the cold kept the crowd thin on the Express side until I left just after 11am.

Planning to be out tomorrow morning too!

Russ

Got home early this morning. Had a bad crash on Wed and sprained my knee. Going from a heel-side, fast with lots of pressure in fairly soft, trenched-up snow, and as I was transitioning to a toe-side I heard a metallic "ping" as my board suddenly went all squirrelly. My first thought was a broken bail as I went head over heel several times with some rotation thrown in. Funny how it seems like it happens in slow motion. I can remember each tug and pull on different tissues and thinking, "oh, this isn't gonna be good".

I came to a stop sitting, both feet still connected to the board, all shook up, but no apparent equipment damage, no obvious broken body parts, but a very unstable and painful knee. End of trip! The metallic "ping"? BTS spring? or did I hit something, maybe a ski pole groomed into the snow under the chair?

hey dave, just saw this... what a drag. :(

occasionally my rear BTS will bind. the sensation is similar to feeling/hearing a metallic ping. it freaks me out when i feel/hear it. it just mentally messes me up.

if you haven't ready i would take a close look at the cant mech to see if its broken or loose. thats where i have the most failures.

get better.

Sunday, February 9

Another seasonal Duluth day - temps just above zero, bright sun, and a northwest wind that seemed to build over the course of the morning. The upside was that Ken and I never had to worry about traffic or a line at the lift. Ken seems to have taken a page from Dave W's play book: popping off to the parking lot every now and then to bring out a different board to try.......I left at noon when Ken hooked up with his better half.

Russ

Dave, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Our son, Bryan, had a badly comminuted fibula fracture several years ago, and Dr. Gary Fetzer, orthopedics and sports medicine at Tria in the cities put him back together. The next year, he was able to complete an Iron Man. He has our recommendation.

I wonder if that 'metallic ping' could have been failure of the metal layer in your board under stress? Hope this heals quickly. Ken

Thanks Ken, as I heal, it is becoming apparent that I must have hyperextended both knees, mainly the right (rear), as there is lots of posterior knee tenderness , also likely damage to right lateral meniscus (anterior portion) as there's point tenderness, but not much swelling--a good sign. Funny you should mention fibula fracture, since the crash, I've had some mild soreness on both legs at the level of the boot cuff and as I passed over the left fibula with a vibrating massager, it nearly sent me through the roof--possibly not a good sign!

hey dave, just saw this... what a drag. :(

occasionally my rear BTS will bind. the sensation is similar to feeling/hearing a metallic ping. it freaks me out when i feel/hear it. it just mentally messes me up.

if you haven't ready i would take a close look at the cant mech to see if its broken or loose. thats where i have the most failures.

get better.

Thanks Bob. By cant mechanism, are you talking about the BTS forward lean adjustment? Everything appears okay there. I think it would be pretty evident if the shaft bolt was broken, right? I'm starting to think that maybe I just went into a soft spot (the snow was very inconsistent), the board stopped and I kept going. It kind of fits with my injuries. The ping may have just been coincidental.

Sunday, February 9

Ken seems to have taken a page from Dave W's play book: popping off to the parking lot every now and then to bring out a different board to try......

Russ

Don't think I didn't notice your trolling for a new carving stick while I was gone. Will we not soon see you ducking in and out the patrol room to access your stash?

On the subject of riding multiple boards, the 2 boards I rode the most at SES were my Nirvana and your 180 Delrossi/incline. As I suspected, the Delrossi was great in the soft Colorado groom, even with several inches of fresh on top. It provided more float than the Nirvana so was more stable in the variable soft snow. I could have ridden it the whole time, except for the deep pow day.

Thanks Bob. By cant mechanism, are you talking about the BTS forward lean adjustment? Everything appears okay there. I think it would be pretty evident if the shaft bolt was broken, right? I'm starting to think that maybe I just went into a soft spot (the snow was very inconsistent), the board stopped and I kept going. It kind of fits with my injuries. The ping may have just been coincidental.

not the BTS.... the crescent shaped thing used for adjusting the boot cant. mine snap almost every season. you probably would've noticed it because the cuff around the boot would be too loose.

Got out for a couple of hours today. Sneaked in a run down Sissorbill before it got roped off for Nastar. Met up with the posse, Ken and Jim and Marlys, near perfect groom, near zero temps, warming with intermittent patches of sunlight and flakes of snow sparkling in the air. Very nice!

My knees did ok, but felt a little vulnerable and I could feel some pain on bumps, so I quit early. By the time I got home my knees felt better than they did before riding today! Maybe my season isn't over!

Ken, looks like you should have fun tomorrow with some new snow.

Edited by bigwavedave

Seems a lot has been going on while accepting a paycheck keeps me out of the loop........ Dave is on the mend and still look'n like he never got dinged, Ken, always our constant presence on the hill is swith'n boards, and Russ..that dog (or is it God) is in BOZEMAN.......man......I need some serious hill-time.

Look forward to seeing more of everyone to close out Feb and March. Russ....we want pics.........get on it. Dave, if you took any of your West trip would love to see a few of those as well.

A good Sunday for the Spirit Mountain carving posse. Dave's back riding in form. Prime snow conditions and light, but with a northeast wind blowing up the hill making for slow spots.

One of the Afton carvers was staying up at the Spirit Mountain Villas and railing on a long, narrow vintage Rossignol on Saturday.

Saw him again briefly on Sunday on my last ride up, catching air off the 4Pipe knoll on an asym board.

I set up the Prior 4WD for riding powder in softies and might try to get out this evening.