Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With terms like "negative phase arctic oscillation" and "snowmageddon" being bandied about in response to the above average Siberian snow cover this year puts me some where between wildly and mildly optimistic. That, and surviving lake-effect snow and sleet in gale force winds and 10' waves last weekend sailing from Bayfield to Duluth. Could it be early-onset winter?

I like that they want to try and open before Thanksgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Spirit Web Site:

Opening Day - SATURDAY!

"The SNOWMAKING Season is upon us and we are thrilled to be opening TWO WEEKS EARLY this year! Our opening day is set for Saturday, November 16th. We will be open Saturday and Sunday from 9am - 5pm with only one top-to-bottom run and deeply discounted rates: $15 lift tickets, $10 ski rental, $15 snowboard rental. Bring on the SNOW and we'll see you on the slopes!"

Let the fun begin!

Russ

Stopped by today to pick up my pass; Spirit will be closed this week, then open on Friday from 12-8 and Saturday and Sunday from 9 to 5, though the forecast doesn't look too conducive for snowmaking, so I would guess that next weekend will be still only one run.

Did hear one bit of good news - Nastar racing is only scheduled for Dec 28, Jan 18/19, Feb 15/16, and Mar 15th!

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Not a peep?...Anyone been on the snow yet? I hear another run will open tomorrow at Spirit. Come on guys, let's see some updates--maybe a photo to entice?...

I'm thinking of going to Wild (supposed to be 100% open) on Thursday before heading over to dinner with some friends nearby. Maybe I'll head up to Spirit next Tuesday if I get some encouragement.

There's rumor that the lake effect snow machine is running in the U.P. Starting to feel like a real winter for a change.

Everything ok up there?

We're all good up here - just hunkering down for another night of heavy weather while we wait for more terrain to open up.

JOlson's always a late season starter; I'm a bit surprised Ken has been out yet. I'll be out both days this weekend for patrol. I'm hoping the forecast cold temps keep the traffic light.

Russ

Yep, late season starter for sure....10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag....but anxious as ever to take advantage of early opening. Hope to get up there at least once this weekend and see if muscle memory will fail me like usual on the first run and I BIFF the first carve.

I owe a compilation of last season's vid...but never captured that last flash drive from Russ.....any chance you can bring that I will do the duty and fire us up at the start of this season with last seasons highlights?

Hope everyone is well and I look forward to catching up. Will see you all soon.

Bright sun, but only -8F at noon on Saturday, so Dave picked the right day. Lots of terrain open - Bindle Stiff, Sissor Bill, Sky Hooker, Four Pipe, Double Jaw, Juggler Joe, and Blue Ruin. Nice firm groom all around, though the runs open longer are a bit softer. Traffic is not a problem today!

I'll be back tomorrow morning at 9

Russ

Below zero again today at the open, but gradually warmed and fortunately little wind. Pretty quiet in the morning, a little busier after lunch but never felt crowded. We may be old geezers, but the general consensus was that we tore up the place today, despite the limited terrain. Bindle Stiff and Sissor Bill had the best conditions; Four Pipe was a bit 'crunchy' plus the drift from the snow guns made visibility tough. Continued cold weather is perfect for snowmaking, so I'm expecting more terrain soon. Lots of interest about the carving kits from other folks too!

December82013071_zpsed913eea.jpg

December82013067_zpsdd6f627d.jpg

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

So, I'm sitting here watching PBS, eating dinner, after a great day of carving up some Minnesota-firm , and Depak Chopra is asking "what are you hungry for?",..."happiness" he says. Well, I think I feel pretty happy. Could carving=happiness? Zen and the art of the carve--be the carve. Rode for 5 1/2 hours today with one break to warm up. I talked Russ into "just one more run" several times, it wasn't hard.

The snow was as good as it gets for carving. Warm, moist air off Lake Superior trapped under a heavy cold air mass made for interesting weather with snow at the top of the hill and hazy sun at the bottom and clouds of snow from the machines defied gravity and hung in the air creating sun dogs.

No sign of Don today. Started out well below zero with bright sun and near perfect groom on sissor bill, bindle stiff and sky hooker. Still making snow on 4pipe with the middle third groomed, should be full width by tomorrow. Gandy was newly groomed today and still a bit soft and uneven, should be great this weekend. They were grooming double jaw when I left at 2PM. Clouds moved in late morning making for flat light in the afternoon. Blue ruin was newly groomed and uneven with a little dirt showing, needs a couple more days. Wish I brought the camera as the early morning light was stellar. I counted about 10 people on the hill for the first couple of hours as it was cold. Again, lots of comments and compliments. I wonder if it's my new jacket?

Looks like some snow over the next couple of days. Anyone going to be out Sunday?

I counted about 10 people on the hill for the first couple of hours as it was cold.

Same thing this morning...it sure would be nice to board in some reasonable temperatures some day.

Anyone going to be out Sunday?

I'm planning for an early start, though will be limited to a couple of hours.

Russ