Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

Bright sun, blue skies, 1-2" of fresh sparkling powder snow on top of perfect groom, a magical blank canvass for the first few runs! Wished I brought my camera or had one of those phone/camera thing-a-ma-jigs to film those first runs and view the virgin tracks from the chair.

Above zero temps for a change. Met up with Ken, and later Gary, and rode til the after-schoolers started to show up. Rode the Rev180 til the snow started softening up after noon and switched to my new favorite board (for soft snow and crud), the 180 Delrossi Incline.

Great day, thankful for knees that still work and boards that make riding easier.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got out for a couple of hours this afternoon and hooked up with these two:

March52014003_zps674cb1e8.jpg

Gary (of the flux capacitor fame) on the left and aspiring hardbooter and ski patroller Don on the right.

Ran into Ken a bit later who regaled me with stories about Tuesday's epic session........bright sunny afternoon, good firm groom, but a biting East wind slowed our descents.

Russ

Guys, Wish I could join this trip (assume it is still in the works) but the it seems the moon and stars are not aligning with much other than the craziest work issues I have ever seen. On the road or in meetings all next week. Hope to make it to the hill this weekend.....

For your consideration......

I'm thinking it's time to see some new terrain - Indianhead (in the U.P.) to be exact. We can be there in 2 hours; their website lists 24" of new snow in the last 7 days; lift tickets are $54. Housing provided the night before to any familiar long distance travelers.

Would Tuesday, March 11th work for folks?

Russ

Got out for a couple of hours this afternoon and hooked up with these two:

March52014003_zps674cb1e8.jpg

Gary (of the flux capacitor fame) on the left and aspiring hardbooter and ski patroller Don on the right.

Ran into Ken a bit later who regaled me with stories about Tuesday's epic session........bright sunny afternoon, good firm groom, but a biting East wind slowed our descents.

Russ

Gary was telling me about back before he got into snowboarding (alpine only), he was a ski jumper on both the normal and large hills! There is a ski flying hill (the biggest) in the U.P. that's visible from the top of Indianhead.

I'm thinking of coming up Saturday. Looks like spring weather is heading this way.

Heading up to Giants Ridge Saturday and Sunday. Rode at Spirit for 6 hours today through mostly flat light, crisp groom and strong winds in the afternoon. Temperatures have moderated since last weekend.

I rode up with a middle-aged skiing couple who were quite curious about the alpine gear. I explained the equipment and technique including mentally laying out your next carves. Caught up with them again a few chair rides later.

She described a 'ski epiphany' of looking more than a few feet ahead and was now enjoying skiing and improved her form.

Started early yesterday (Saturday) and stayed late. Took first run down 4pipe about 8:45 in time to help Johnathon set up the lift-line corral for what turned out to be one of the busier days of the season. Met up with Jim and Russ for the first chair. About 11am we had to trade GS boards for SL due to increasing traffic. All but the D chair running kept lift lines reasonable, but man it was busy on the slopes, often having to check speed or stop for traffic, though no close calls.

After Russ and Jim left at mid-day there was the short lunch-time-lull so I enjoyed several runs over on Cinder Snapper and swore I heard hoots and hollers from the A chair as I passed beneath, but it was as likely for the tricksters over in the park. When I was ready to leave I spotted DonPablo (Randy) laying down some nice trenches under the chair on Gandy to the ooohs and aahhs of the folks riding the chair with me. I caught up with him and his film crew (girl friend) and took a couple of runs with them. Maybe we'll see some video later.

Finally got out of there about 3. Went over to Superior to visit the boat and knock the snow off the tarps. Thought about staying on the boat so I could ride today but couldn't access electricity for the space heater.

RE: Indianhead

Thursday is looking like a better day. Overcast (flat light) and chance of snow forecast for Tuesday and likely frozen groom in the morning.

Sunday, March 9th

As I left the chalet this morning, I noticed a Prior board in the rack; soon hooked up with Martha and Jolene (on skis); cloudy early, but gradually brightened to full sun by 10:30....pleasant enough (for a change) to get my wife out on her tele kit, too. Not crazy busy like yesterday, but a good turnout. Blue Ruin and Cinder Snapper were especially pleasant. I quit at 1:30, by then I was starting to overheat (what a unique notion at Spirit Mtn this year!).

Thursday works for me for Indianhead - I'm sure that Ken will see this post and can hopefully adjust his schedule as well.

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

Jane and I had a great weekend riding at Giants Ridge. She competed in the Alt Midwest Series Slopestyle on Saturday and Boardercross today and was pleased with her performance.

It's been a few years since I rode there and that was with softies. I didn't see anyone else on an alpine board either day. There was some impressive soft boot carving from the USASA crowd.

This was a nice opportunity to explore new (and steeper and more challenging) terrain on hard boots. Took a while to figure out which runs were worthwhile.

Saturday's groom was a bit icy, but softened up with the temps today. It was kinda crowded on some of the runs with both USASA and cross country ski races scheduled. It wasn't quite as busy today.

We're quite pleased with the attendance at Spirit this weekend and hope the financials reflect this.

Thursday will work for the trip to Indianhead.

Hey, the forum is back!

I was out on Sunday from 9 to about 2. Nice sunny day but challenging carving with a rough, icy crust under a 1" surface granular groom. Didn't see Lonbordin out there. Looks like Duluth is the bulls-eye for yet another winter storm with forecasts for a foot or more of snow Tuesday and Wednesday! I'll likely get back up on Thursday.

duluth.12.png

Life is good. It's sometimes good as a reminder to not take important things (like this) for granted.

I'm still out of town, but will be back Thursday. I did two runs on Friday. 1-2" of corn snow on top of frozen ruts.

We had an epic day at Indianhead last Thursday.

We had an epic day at Indianhead last Thursday.

Yes, epic indeed! Flat light when we started on the firm groom, but just like last year the light got better as the morning wore on until we had clear skies shortly after noon. And just like last year lots of questions and compliments about the alpine kits:

096_zpsb7a462e8.jpg

094_zpsa4d4871c.jpg

Ken was a little camera shy....I've never had a bad day at Indianhead - easily worth the drive.

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

I was out on Spirit from ~1600 until close Sunday on the wide Donek as it was the last board I rode and I always like to pick up where I left off, muscle memory and all that.

Out all day today until ~1600.

On the 185 REV... whew I'm tired. Man those Sidewinders are smooooth.

Haven't seen any other hardbooters yet.

Swapped out my bindings to my wide deck tonight in readiness for the snow. Bring on the powdah, lol!

BTW- We're loving that express lift! W00t!

Edited by lonbordin

Did a before dinner session which was awesome. Very few people on the hill all day.

Went in and had dinner... found some strength and the wind dropped and the snow eased so I went back out after 7... wow what a difference... full of kids and people who I guessed worked all day. The hill was scarred but there were powder lines still to be found. Went to the 8pm bell. I'm beat. All in all that might be the best day of boarding I've ever had... sublime.

Lights on the hill just went out.

Going snowshoeing with the family tomorrow until 2pm... I'll most likely take it easy on the hill tomorrow evening..

BWD- I'll have to pack sometime that morning... not sure when.

Today I rode my old Donek 23cm wide with the TD3 SWs, no plate, no armor. So. Much. Fun.

Edited by lonbordin

Spent this morning out snowshoeing with a Daytripperofduluth dot com guide. They were excellent and my wife went with them Monday and Tuesday. Highly recommended.

The lunch from Northernwaterssmokehaus dot com was really good.

I didn't get out on the hill until around 1600 and boy I was beat. Whew... Hoping to recuperate tonight! Then back at it for the last morning at Spirit before we head up to Lutsen and there's snow in the forecast!?!