Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, March 28th

A bit too soft and inconsistent for good carving today, but a great day to be at a place you like with friends who share your interests:

March282014002_zpsb7da164c.jpg

Fellow patrollers Don (on my Incline) and Louise

Russ, I will bring the boots for you to try.

Back at ya - I'll bring the 323s along.

Russ

Saturday March 29 at Spirit Mt.

Good times for sure - near perfect conditions that softened only slightly over the course of the morning - similar conditions at the start this morning, then it was like somebody put the brakes on around 11:30 as it warmed even more and the snow got s-l-o-w.

Russ

Anyone want to go to Giants Ridge?

Wednesday at GR doesn't look good for me - the best I could do would be a short local session.

Current forecast calls for significant (4-8") snowfall on Friday....shaping up as another good weekend!

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

Looks like Duluth got a few inches of snow.

High winds through the night; I had 4-5" in some places and none in others around my house. I'll probably be able to catch you sometime during the day - Jim also mentioned a possible board meeting in the morning.

Russ

We had a nice session at Spirit yesterday. Started out with "mid-winter" type conditions--below freezing and fresh snow, groomed. Started to soften up about noon and became "slarvey" later, but not slow. Rode with Russ for a good part of the day and we had Gary with us for several runs mid-day. We still haven't seen "spring" conditions yet this year. Still forecasting 6-12" of snow through Friday. Should be good this weekend!

Another good day of riding powder in soft boots at Copper. It reminded me how much more comfortable are a well-fitted pair of hard boots.

Jane had a couple of nice, clean runs in the pipe for a gold medal today.

The weather looks good so probably will ride a carving board tomorrow. Could be an awesome weekend at Spirit and hopefully it will be open when we get back.

Ken

Wednesday, April 2nd

I looked up 'Homies' on the Urban Dictionary:

- the dudes who go through your fridge without asking.

- the dudes who smile as they call you a bitch or a dumbass.

- the dudes who kick you when you're down.

- the dudes who tell you to "snap out of it" when you're really down.

- the dudes who ride with you 'till the motherf*ckin' end:

April42014001_zpsfd308016.jpg

About 8" of wet, sticky snow from last night's storm - planning to be out both Saturday and Sunday.

Russ

- the dudes who ride with you 'till the motherf*ckin' end:

...and it ain't over yet!

About 8" of wet, sticky snow from last night's storm - planning to be out both Saturday and Sunday.

Russ

7" here this morning and already melted down to less than half that.

I'm planning to come up tomorrow and maybe stay for Sunday too.

Big warm-up for next week should create full-on spring conditions, but makes me wonder if Spirit will call it a season after this weekend.

But then we might have to do this again...

post-8510-141842414485_thumb.jpg

...if we get lucky

Perfect groom Saturday morning turning slarvey and slow afternoon. Rode with Russ and Jim all morning, then ran into nelsonboat in the afternoon over on Gandy. Stuck it out till closing at 5 finishing the day surfing the slush on the 180 incline. Today started out where conditions left off yesterday--soft, surfy and slow...

post-8510-141842414574_thumb.jpg

post-8510-141842414571_thumb.jpg

Beautiful morning at Spirit for Russ and myself. Good groom that became progressively slushier as temps rose under a strong spring sun. Russ called it a season, and I switched to softies to surf a few more runs.

Very few hardcore folks left after about noon. Had lunch with Lief in the bar at the Grand Ave chalet.

Otherwise, the spring running and weight training program is underway. Russ is itching to start biking.

I might check out Mont Du Lac later in the week if it's still open.

Ken

Nice tracks you guys. Sunday had that last-day feeling for me, but I'm still thinking Lutsen. Long range forecast shows below freezing nights next week which should make for nice freeze/thaw conditions to make corn snow by the following closing weekend. UPS delivered my UPZ's today, and I'm excited to try them. Don't put the storage wax on just yet!

Nice tracks you guys. Sunday had that last-day feeling for me, but I'm still thinking Lutsen. Long range forecast shows below freezing nights next week which should make for nice freeze/thaw conditions to make corn snow by the following closing weekend. UPS delivered my UPZ's today, and I'm excited to try them. Don't put the storage wax on just yet!

I think the meltdown is this weekend. Temps don't look so good.

or...you could go to Giants Ridge this weekend. Sunday is their last day and it looks like the better day weather-wise. I heard rumor that a certain carving patroller may have plans to go on Sunday. I'm considering it. They have some rain/snow in the forecast for Saturday and partly sunny Sunday. All the freeze/thaw cycles and moisture should turn that sticky slush into some nice surfy corn snow.

$10 bucks off with a Spirit pass!