Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow was great at Spirit today, went from plush groom in the AM to surfy slush in the PM. A fine day! Had fun riding with Dave (lonbordin) all morning. He's off to Lutsen for a couple of days.

Bob, it looks like there's some snow (3-5") in the forecast for Friday and low temps, so the snow should be good by this weekend. I suspect tomorrow will be an icy groom as it got pretty warm and slushy this afternoon. Surprisingly, the snow stayed pretty fast.

Morning groom

post-8510-141842413223_thumb.jpg

Afternoon slush

post-8510-141842413226_thumb.jpg

in hover-board mode

post-8510-141842413229_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

I guess I never have to ask whether or not I talk with my hands! :-)

It was great riding with bigwavedave... the snow and the groom was awesome.

I had setup my older Donek but swapped out my setup, shortly after the picture for my REV. So not only 2 Daves, etc. but 2 REVs and two sets of TD3 Standard Sidewinders.

I attribute all of this coincidence to bigwavedave's excellent taste.

I'm up here at Lutsen and thinking back on my days at Spirit... epic.

zuny6uqy.jpg

Dave was here.

Looks fun, and thanks for the report! Just about to leave for Lutsen, for Saturday and Sunday turns. Be on the look-out for a big, red blur.

Brian

I'm in the Summit Chalet at Lutsen as I type... bring your powder setup... it's been dumping all day and it's still coming down. I'm thinking you won't be so blurry. ;-)

Well, Dave , you certainly got lucky with the snow for your trip. Two years ago at this time the hills were shutting down due to warm temps and rain. Last year was much like this, we could go for another month.

Felt like we were back in January today with a near zero start combined with wicked wind chills (15-20 gusting 30). Inconsistent groom (soft/hard) plus piles of blown snow kept us on our toes today. Top of Cinder Snapper was wind scoured, but lower down was soft and surfy. Rode with Bob (bobble) and Ken most of the day, 9 to about 3:30. I think tomorrow will be better for carving--2nd day groom, sun and less wind.

had lots of fun on sunday. hero conditions! fun day to almost end of season. glad i stayed.

dave and i started out on four pipe. my front thigh was stiff from yesterday. took a couple runs to loosen up. alternated on four pipe and bindle stiff. caught up with ken. started to get a little crowded with little ones so we went off to the blues.

went over to the gandy chair which always feels like i'm going to fall off. for awhile all we just carved down skyhook or bindle. there was some light traffic on Gandy but it was all skiers and they were coming down fast. some were kids that were warming up for a race on Blue Ruin. skyhook was great provided there was no one on it. around 11:30 or so Gandy opened up. spent last couple runs trying to negotiate the double rolls.

i left around 12:30pm to meet ms. bobble at the chalet at the bottom of four pipe. had lunch. i was really tempted to take one more last run but i thought best to leave.

my only complaint... there were way too many people wearing snowmobile jackets. their skiing abilities are only matched by their taste in outdoor clothing. whenever i look uphill and see big hefty dudes with tiny heads that barely stick out of their Castle X parkas coming towards me...

post-1112-141842413382_thumb.jpg

... i see this!

post-1112-141842413387_thumb.jpg

Yep, in that situation you'd "better call Saul".

Bob, you got the best of it, although there were still good tracks to be had later. We didn't quit until about 4PM. Our friend Gary showed up about 1pm. I wish we took a photo from the chair after the first several runs down 4pipe this morning, we really did a good job on it. The view of our work under the Gandy chair was pretty good too. All in all, a great day of carving. Rode the 180 Revalator all day.

Tuesday looks like it might be good...and I've got the day off!!

Oh, the first run's on groom this morning looked just like in my avatar--perfect.

Edited by bigwavedave

Morning groom

[ATTACH]38524[/ATTACH]

Well, Dave , you certainly got lucky with the snow for your trip.

I'm home... we definitely had some great conditions at Spirit! Lutsen was more hit-n-miss but a great time was had none the less!

I swear I see the green of my jacket under your left armpit in that photo... where's the zoom and enhance button?

If I could do it again I would've stayed at Spirit until we had to leave... it's a fantastic carving hill. I can't thank everyone enough for the recommendation!

It's quite the drive but you can expect to see us again.

ZOOOM...

Funny... I think my subsequent runs on the REV were much faster.

I was trying to follow your tracks the next run, I remember making up my mind that I had to switch boards! Takes a REV to catch a REV.

Thanks for posting and riding with me... definitely one of my best days this season.

I just finished putting the storage wax on the equipment and putting it all away... hard to believe it's over.

Edited by lonbordin

The Gopro wide angle makes everything outside of a 10 foot radius look pretty distant, the camera man always ends up being the star.

March snomadness continues here, tonight's forecast is for minus 1 and a high of 17 tomorrow with more snow later in the week.

Heading back up to Spirit for a Tuesday session tomorrow. Spirit closes next Monday, Giants Ridge open for another week after that and Lutsen til the 3rd week of April. If we get fresh snow we'll hike and ride at Spirit in April.

Nice video.

Out today for ~4 hours. Rideable with 1-2 inches granular snow on top of crust. Started out cold with good light. An occasional extra challenge towards late afternoon with a layer of featureless blowing snow at ground level and very flat light.

Rode the Rev 157 for about half of the day.

I plan to be out around first chair tomorrow.

Kind of a surprise. 9-5 daily, even on weekends. This appears to be on a day-by-day basis. The financials must have been good this weekend.

Great day yesterday with Russ and Dave. I fid a few runs this morning, but have a lot to do to get ready for Copper.

Groom is good, but the light is getting rather flat. Hopefully will get in a few carves after we get back.

Ken

Mostly rain down this way today, turning to snow late in the afternoon. Looks like Duluth got mostly snow today. Could be nice tomorrow for those planing to get out...

I plan to come up on Saturday.

I think I found where our friend, Mr O has been focusing his "couch" carving time:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152421779394155&id=169923041393

Got in a few turns over the lunch hour on Wednesday on the slalom board - that little ride always puts a smile on my face!

Shoveled 6 - 8 inches out of my driveway when I got home from work today.

Could be nice tomorrow for those planing to get out...

Don D and I are planning first chair tomorrow - we'll let you know.

I'll be out Saturday morning too!

Russ