Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed you out there Russ, but look who showed up...

When I woke up today the windchill was -35F and the forecast was for wind speeds to increase through the morning; it just wasn't happening for me today - the bit of frost nip from last weekend hasn't fully healed yet and the warmth of the fitness center seemed a better alternative. You both have my undying admiration for sticking it out today!!!!

Russ

Wow....WICKED cold on Sunday....WICKED....but worth every moment. For the first time out all year, I had a great number of runs on good snow and I am fully primed for some runs with temps above 14 below zero.....:D. Dave was rock'n on his new Donek and with that much room on the hill....well, just a great morning. Look forward to seeing everyone else soon. Let me know if anyone has seen my nose...pretty sure it fell off around 10:15 or so......

I will likely will come up tomorrow. Between Tues and Thurs, it looks like the better day. Maybe a few inches of fresh snow today and tonight plus warmer temps.

I mentioned I may try to sneak out for long lunches. This week will not work to hook up during the week but keep posting those weekdays you plan to come up.

I will likely will come up tomorrow......Maybe a few inches of fresh snow today and tonight plus warmer temps.

We got a couple of inches of nice light snow during the day today; I squeezed in a few runs before patrol toboggan training this evening and conditions were EXCELLENT (and it was a balmy 14F). Might be a party tomorrow - Tuesday afternoon is Ken's normal day off and I might have to join you gentlemen for lunch.

Russ

December 21/22 - I had patrol duty from 3 - 9pm each day, so missed the usual morning sessions.

Caught up with Dave at the end of his day on Saturday; took a couple of runs in the poor afternoon light, then waited 'til the lights came on; the minimal (for a Saturday) traffic of earlier in the day left the area primed for a couple of hours of rocketing around under the lights on the firm groom....on Sunday, I just waited for the lights; the new snow throughout the day and evening and thin traffic made for a great evening - I kept thinking how close this must be to what surfers experience.

We've had the luxury of light traffic so far this season, I expect that'll change with the holiday break including the DSAC camp from 12/27 to 12/30 and Nastar on the 28th. Dave and I had chatted briefly about riding tomorrow, but I'm behind on holiday prep, so it ain't happening for me.

Russ

Started off with bright sun for the first few hours and clouded over with flat light in the afternoon. Express lift was not running and no sign of work being done--maybe waiting for a part or the Maytag repairman? The 3 original lifts were running; Gandy, Summit, and Double Jaw, which I've never ridden before. Rode everything from Cinder Snapper to Juggler Joe. Gandy is still a bit rough, CinderSnapper less so. Blue Ruin was a blast with the undulations in the terrain below the drop off. Started to get busy around 2PM when I quit.

Rode Russ' Delrossi (Delrussi?) after my late AM warm-up. Carves great! Can't wait to see what it will do with some powder.

post-8510-141842403347_thumb.jpg

post-8510-141842403341_thumb.jpg

post-8510-141842403344_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

I gave it a go for a couple of hours this morning but the combination of flat light, continued mechanical problems, and holiday crowds convinced me to pack in it early. Lots of grumpy customers.....hope the Express lift gets fixed soon!

I'll probably give it another shot Sunday morning.

Russ

Hmmm....I may be able to join Dave for a while on Tuesday morning, and I'm also thinking Wednesday morning. FYI - the DSAC camp originally scheduled to end on Monday has been extended through Tuesday due to today's closure, so there will be lots of small folk about.

Has anyone heard an update on the Express repair schedule?

Russ

Spirit forecast is for -26 tomorrow morning

Forecast was off by a bit: -13F at the 9am start, though the light breeze out of the northwest kept the lift rides refreshing. Sunny with firm groom and except for a few racers training, the place was deserted. Without the Express lift, you're forced to ride the D lift to access Fourpipe, Double Jaw, and Sourdough Sam; the most uncomfortable part of the day was sitting on the metal seats of that old, slow lift. I lasted two hours.

1/1/2014 -17F and overcast this morning. If it was a few degrees warmer, or there was less wind, or the Express lift was running, or the light was better, I'd have made a go of it. But none of the above occurred.

Still no word on the timeline for repair of the Express lift.

Russ

Weather-wise, Sunday is looking like the better day this weekend, even with colder temps, it looks more likely to be sunny. I'm getting tired of flat light! I just ordered a pink lens, which which I heard from a professional racer, is supposed to be better than the reflective blue lens in flat light.

Still no word on the express lift? Ken,what's the inside scoop? I still found it interesting to navigate around the hill using the original lifts last week. It seemed like the slopes were less crowded, maybe because people spent more time on the lifts.

Rode at Afton yesterday from 9:30-2. Really flat light with a couple of peaks of filtered sun. Rode every run. Overall, I still find Spirit way more fun and worth the extra drive time. I compared run times from my Gopro videos: A run at Afton, top to bottom, 45 seconds; Spirit, just under 2 minutes; Buttermilk, about 5 minutes.

Still plan to come up on Sunday.

You might want to check the current conditions before you start driving - forecast for 9am Sunday is air temp of -25F with 9mph wind and wind chilll of -45F. I'm tough, but not that tough - I'm planning for Saturday morning.

I got out for a couple of hours this morning to try out a pair of TD1s on a stiff freeride deck. Flat light, but good firm groom and no traffic to speak of. Also heard that the Express won't be back in service until the week of January 13........

Russ