Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

khoward

I heard rumor that a certain carving patroller may have plans to go on Sunday.

Call me crazy, but I'm not quite ready to call it quits - besides I qualify for the Senior pass pricing:

BONUS WEEKEND!

April 11-13

Senior

(ages 60+) Full Day $26

Russ

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last day at Giants Ridge was a great way to spend a Sunday. Bright overcast with occasional snow showers and a nice deep granular corn snow that remained fast all day. Wonderfully surfy groom in the morning turned to lumpy mash in the afternoon. Too soft for stiff carving sticks, Russ and I rode the 180 Inclines until our trenches started reaching about 1/2 foot deep, then switched to softer more nimble boards.

post-8510-141842415348_thumb.jpg

Riding the Nomad above, not the best tool for corn snow--a bit too soft in the nose, so it was flopping around a lot. Note the deep trench under my toe-side knee (top photo)--left by the Incline on a previous run.

Also ran into old friends from back in the USASA racing days of 15-20 yrs ago, Jim and Dave Rothman.

post-8510-141842415345_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

Wonderfully surfy groom in the morning

Surfy was the word of the day - found ourselves seeking out the untracked stretches of smoothly groomed granular even into the afternoon to get that big board, surfing experience - thanks Sean!!!

Next up is Lutsen on Friday or Saturday - tickets are half price but must be purchased on-line 72 hours in advance by going to:

www.lutsen.com -> Plan & Buy -> Rates, Dates, and Hours -> Easter Weekend Half Price Tickets

Possibility of some new snow this week as well!

Russ

Getting excited about Lutsen on Friday--should be good! (pun intended)

Heavy snow here in the north metro--about 1 1/2" in the past hour and coming down hard. Looks like it will be near a foot for Duluth and a little less for Lutsen by the time it's done.

I'm planning to come up early afternoon tomorrow and take in a few hike & rides at Spirit.

I'm planning to come up early afternoon tomorrow and take in a few hike & rides at Spirit.

Give me a call when you get done riding and we'll work out evening plans. Can you bring some of that warm weather wax along? I'd like to try a quick layer.

Russ

Just got this email...

[TABLE=width: 649]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=width: 1, bgcolor: #eeeee4]spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 1, bgcolor: #e6e6dc]spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 1, bgcolor: #d2d2ca]spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 639, bgcolor: #ffffff]spacer.gif[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3, align: center]mogs-date-27ac7ccb09e13a1e1ea41471b8495bfe.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3, align: center]

Skiing in May? May-be!

As yet another spring storm hit the North Shore, Lutsen has now recorded over 13 feet of snowfall this season. With a base of 2 to 3 feet on all primary runs and reserve piles virtually untouched, the snow conditions are unprecedented for late April. Meanwhile, the forecast is ideal for spring skiing with highs in the mid 40’s and lows below freezing for the extended outlook. With such ideal conditions we are opting to remain open through the first weekend in May – because we can.

Lutsen Mountains is open Easter weekend with 3 mountains, 5 lifts and 60+ runs.

We plan to operate one lift on Eagle Mountain with 12 – 15 runs for an additional two weekends weather permitting. Bridge lift is scheduled for April 26 & 27 and May 3 & 4, providing a selection of green, blue and black diamond runs.

Russ and I had a great day at Lutsen. Again the Inclines were the boards of choice for the soft spring conditions. Rode from 9:30 to about 3:30, bright sun and temps in the upper 30's. There were stashes of untracked snow on the sides of many of the runs. We declared it a great last day of the season, and then this email appeared. We'll see what the weather brings...

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Hah - I thought that e-mail would catch your attention!

BWD (sailor that he is) had a bit of a dilemma yesterday....soft surfy snow to ride on, but the big Lake sure looked inviting:

April192014006_zps3fcf2d6d.jpg

Long range forecast looks more like cycling (and sailing) weather to me. Thanks to all who came out and rode this season!

Russ

Looked like an amazing day for Lutsen. I escaped from orientation yesterday afternoon and was joined by Jane for hiking the hill. Nice surfy riding with the Rossi and softboots.

post-10752-141842415987_thumb.jpg

Probably the first time a Board Member has done this :)

post-10752-141842415991_thumb.jpg

Even more fun than running!!

Tomorrow morning has potential for another trip to Spirit. Ken

Hah - I thought that e-mail would catch your attention!

Long range forecast looks more like cycling (and sailing) weather to me.

Russ

....Hah!

Don't you wish you bought some of those 2 for 1 Lutsen tickets? They couldn't have planned for better weather--forecast calls for several inches of snow today through Friday and then sunny all weekend with below freezing temps at night.

Tempted to come up Saturday and hike Spirit. Even tempted to go to Lutsen, but I don't want to pay full price for spring conditions. But, I have to test ride this 164 Incline...the green one...dazed and confused...

post-8510-141842416072_thumb.jpg

Six inches of heavy, wet snow from Duluth to Grand Marais through this morning; temps in the mid 40's and chance of rain today; sunshine and a high of 40 tomorrow...doesn't sound bad for anyone willing to hike (Spirit) or buy a ticket (Lutsen).

Russ

Hike and Ride at Spirit Saturday morning, April 26. Intermittent light snow; about 1" fresh over granular base.

Had 2 great runs on ScissorBill then over to untracked DoubleJaw. Hiked to the top of D chair and got about 1/3 way down when things got slooow...had the wrong wax with me...

First and last run down ScissorBill (and likely last of the year), and 1st ride on new/used 164 Incline (I think it's a keeper):

37 seconds