Note to New Members ×

Jacket opinion Arc'teryx vs Spyder

Surf Quebec

Neither Arcteryx or Spyder jackets and pants will be able to take the abrasion and punishment imparted on them from aggressive carving, especially if you do a lot of eurocarving and scraping along the snow. Our sport's clothing systems need additional abrasion reinforcement to be effective.

Arcteryx jackets are designed to move better with you, and they are based in Canada so that getting warranty and repair work done on them is easier.

Arcteryx has repaired and replaced jackets and bibs that I have bought from them without complaint for the last 20 years, so if I amortize my original purchase price, they are great value for money.

Of course, it helps that I am based in their home town- but I have friends from Europe and the US who have also had excellent warranty service from them.

Edited by crucible

I don't know if any manufacturer is building stuff that will be able to hold up to carving abuse on eastern hardpack. But you might try Freddy Ansara's company, FA Design. Guaranteed he understands the problem, whether he has a solution or not I don't know. His stuff looks pretty slick though.

I'm currently rocking a pair of Spyder pants that I bought last year in Germany for about $250. I love'em....super comfortable and super sharp....highly recommend.

Also...I just bought my 3 month old the Sypder bunting outtie (and hat and gloves) to get him ready for the season....however...he has a little growing to do!

l.png

post-11432-141842395168_thumb.jpg

41ze%2BiRAk6L.jpg

A local ski shop has a Spyder closeout sale every year. I used to think they made high-quality stuff but after looking at some stuff at this sale, it seems to me they have sacrificed quality for style.

If you are rubbing your jacket on the snow, it is probably best to buy cheap stuff & replace it often.

Spyder... a bit skier oriented in my view.

Burton AK is the hardest wearing stuff I've come across, but I don't pay for mine so bear that in mind, and I also consider anything that involves contact of rider or clothing with the ground as a weird looking crash.

Some of the Spyder stuff looks pretty old school skier-ish for sure. OTOH I really don't care for the look of most snowboarder-marketed gear. Too baggy, too many gimmicks. Most of what I'm drawn to is the backcountry gear from companies like Arcteryx, TNF, Patagonia, MEC. I doubt any of it holds up to being dragged across corduroy routinely, fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't get that low.

I got Sika Flex 252: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38861-Coating-clothes-gloves-with-Sika

I've since heard that mixing it with Acetone before application is not a good idea as the final cured product isn't as resistant to abrasion.

Ran into this during a vehicle retrofit. The overhauler was using acetone to smooth some Sikaflex joints. When they did this the Sikaflex wouldn't cure.

Dave

I know that Spyder is ski oriented gear but the coat ate the local spotyshop is all black or all red so it's not looking too much as a ski only coat.

I've seen the Carve Company coat last year as I've ride with Dan Lambert who was wearing one , they're pretty nice but they're more expensive than a new Donek.

I'll continue to check the sales...

Very interesting that Sikaflex thread.

I got Sika Flex 252: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38861-Coating-clothes-gloves-with-Sika

I've since heard that mixing it with Acetone before application is not a good idea as the final cured product isn't as resistant to abrasion.

Corey, I've never used Sika before. Is it possible to use without thinning or do you recommend something other than acetone to thin it?

Thanks!

Sorry, I've only tried it with Acetone. I think if you can put icing on a cake, you could spread Sika as it comes out of the tube. Maybe try on some old fabric before the good stuff?

For the record, my thinned stuff has held up fine to 10+ days of carving. Not much of a test yet.

I don't know about Arc'teryx but have worn Spyder for few years. Good jacket and pants. As John E said, recent Spyder models are after style and sacrificed quality.

Anyway, when I worked at Bretton Wood, our staff jacket was from Karbon. I know it's more Ski jacket like but 100 days/year riding (teaching) weren't able to tear the jacket. I had same jacket for 2 years. That sold me afterward.. from then, I've only worn Karbon bib & jacket since. ...oh..not true.. I got a jibber jacket (Session) to match color of one of my boards but not near durable as Spyder or Karbon. Check Karbon jacket too.

I personally would't be caught dead in spyder, mostly because a lot of their lines seem kinda more focused on looking bling than being functional. Either way: if you're touching the ground you're gonna wreck whatever you're wearing eventually, though I have a mammut jacket that has held up reasonably well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Corey, I've never used Sika before. Is it possible to use without thinning or do you recommend something other than acetone to thin it?

Thanks!

Wait! Sikaflex is on the out now, all in all it's messy to apply, wears off regardless of whether it's thinned out or not, and doesn't look that great.

Polyurethane is the new thing with very promising results, it can be applied clear or dyed, once it hardens it's there forever and is very simple to apply, providing a smooth finish that allows for very fine patterns.

I was a big Sikaflex proponent but now I see poly beats it hands down.

_pY6W9OLiU0EgzsTK8Dr9Qc1ZcJ6ecRCqaByEhtc4w=w276-h207-p-no

Wait! Sikaflex is on the out now, all in all it's messy to apply, wears off regardless of whether it's thinned out or not, and doesn't look that great.

Polyurethane is the new thing with very promising results, it can be applied clear or dyed, once it hardens it's there forever and is very simple to apply, providing a smooth finish that allows for very fine patterns.

I was a big Sikaflex proponent but now I see poly beats it hands down.

More details please! I assume some kind of pourable/spreadable polyurethane? If you go into a store and ask for 'polyurethane', you'll get some sweet paint. ;)

Maybe start a new thread though (or bump this one with new info), we've already taken this one far enough off-track.