Note to New Members ×

Vail and BC over President's weekend

nekdut

Yeah, so I'm dumb and am arriving in Colorado just after SES ends. :smashfrea

With that out of the way, I was only able to arrange a CO trip over President's day weekend. We have a room at the Vail Marriott during the busy 3 days that long weekend. A few questions/request for suggestions from all y'all:

1) Will Vail and Beaver Creek keep us sufficiently entertained as far as riding? Carving will be a focus for me, but not the only thing we need to do if there are good pow runs (I know the back bowls rock). For carving, it sounds like reading the grooming report is the best bet, correct? Any specific areas to hit for good carving, and to avoid crowds?

2) Staying at the Marriott, it sounds like I'm somewhat close to the Lionshead gondi, correct? Is there good riding out of there? Apres, are there good spots near that hotel?

3) FOOD: where are the must-eats in Vail? We're willing to splurge a bit if it is worth it. Also, any hidden gems (hole in the wall to high end, doesn't matter as long as its great) that we should hit up?

4) Party :) Any specific spots to party it up? I know it will be a crowded weekend, so I'm looking for options, both on the big party side as well as some smaller mellow places to grab a few nice drinks.

Thanks in advance all. :D

some thoughts for you --

first, have a blast. we're getting much needed snow and both resorts should be fine for carving.

i go to beaver creek, and here's one opinion:

it's great carving.

you can avoid a huge garage/parking fee by parking at the Bear Lot for free and taking a bus

up to the Centennial lift. easy, fast, FREE.

from the top of centennial, take a left and hit Rose Bowl for some easy carving. nice long

run with some rollers.

next, from the top of centennial take a right and drop down to Larkspur, which is often groomed

wide. this area will be busier than rose but offers some excellent terrain.

then drop down centennial. this is challenging, aggressive carving.

you can also head to bachelor gulch and arrowhead. i haven't been there this year, but

they also have good carving terrain.

would love to join you, but my pass is blacked out for that weekend.

have a great time --

I was at Vail 2 weeks ago. I was very skeptical but a friend suggested having lunch at The 10th Mountian Resturant at Mid-Vail. I was very impressed. You have to make reservations but it's like going to a fancy resturant on the mountain. Once you check in, you can take off your outerwear in a fancy country club like locker room and they supply slippers (really). They have white table cloths and friendly waiters. We each had a tasty gourmet pizza and it only cost $21 each with tax & tip. Very much outside what I would normally do but lets you feel what it is like to be rich (even if you're not). Worth the splurge.