Note to New Members ×

ISO: Breck in Feb Layering Recommendations

SpceWrnglr

Traveling to Breckenridge for the first time in February. Looking for recommendations from locals or anyone with experience on Breck in February for recommendations on how many and what kinds of layers I should pack. This is my first time skiing and first time to the area. What are most people wearing? Any recommendations? Best advice I've gotten so far was "considerable" amounts of layers. But didn't press if that meant Hard Shell>Down Insulator>Fleece>Base Layer... or 2 fleeces.. or Shell>Insulator>Sweater>Fleece>Base layer... etc. Any advice and recommendations is appreciated. 

It’s a crap shoot. 
perfect example, years ago I was putting together window bucks in the foothills at 9000’ in the middle of winter on a south facing deck in a tee shirt and jeans. My compatriots on the north side of the house framing where in full coveralls huddling around a fire barrel shivering their collective asses off. 
That said, you can’t go wrong with multiple weight base layers, a good shell, and a down puffa. At Lovey, your vehicle is within a 10 minute walk, even if it’s in the far reaches of the lots. Get a locker, watch the weather forecast and have fun

mario

• Like 1

Hardshell + down + fleece + base layer would likely have you cooking unless perhaps, it was far below 0F.

So if you have that much you are ok.

Down as a mid-layer may be a "no" pending on whose opinion you read on a google search; I've gotten away with it in Colorado.

If you have all of the above layers, you are good to go.

• Like 1

Mario thanks for the advice! So thinking like multiple base layers on top of each other? Versus multiple mid layers, like a fleece and a down puffy. I'm coming from 16 years in the Florida Keys, gonna freeze my ass off. So the layering concept is all new to me. I've seen youtube vids with some simple 3 layer setups, and then some with two or 3 mid layers. 

5 minutes ago, Odd Job said:

Down as a mid-layer may be a "no" pending on whose opinion you read on a google search; I've gotten away with it in Colorado.

I was gonna ask that next, is that because of the waterproofing? I've seen "waterproof" and non waterproof down puffy jackets. Do you need waterproof or is the waterproofing from a good shell with powder skirt enough? 

Down when wet will lose loft and insulating properties.
This wetness can come from environment, and from perspiration. Down jackets aren't breathable, so you will sweat, unless you don't really sweat or run really cold. 

Again, if you have all of the above layers, you will be ok.

At the very worst case,  you won't die from hypothermia and will be forced into a lodge to warm up. 

Concerning being a native of a warm weather climate; I don't think I've ever heard of a Texan dying from hypothermia. Some of them ski in jeans.

• Like 1

Odd Job and I both ride at high altitude, with occasional crazy winds.  My typical layering starts with a light base layer, more often than not wool, but both capaline and silk work as well. From there I may add a light loose fitting fleece layer, or slightlly heavier depending on the temp.  I have a light thin north face puff, and finally my outer layer, which has been a tightly woven(see Duluth trading Co's Alaska Hard gear) soft shell. Recycled soda bottles have proven to be fairly water repellent ( as well as abrasion resistant) without the excessive cost of  goretex. I  keep my down isolated from water by the other wicking layers underneath, and the weather protected layer on top.  Invest in a light and mid weight balaclava,with good coverage for your neck, it will provide a quick and easy way to modulate your body temp without having to change your layering.  Remember to keep your layers loose to allow for air to get trapped, too tight will have the opposite effect, and you will freeze you ass off

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

even if it's 0F in the morning it's quickly getting better [I know there are some days but they are rare]

for this kind of weather I prefer:

top: base layer->fleece->vest(no down)->hardshell

bottom: base layer->slightly insulated pants

when it gets warmer I just drop my vest on a ski rack at the bottom of a lift and pick it up on a way back to lodge

PS

I'm always cold getting up the mountain first time of the day, when I start riding it getting better

PPS

if it's really cold [around 0F] usually feet give up first, so two runs then get warm then back on a slope

• 3 weeks later...