Note to New Members ×

What is your stance width?

NSSage

Hey I was wondering what everyone uses as their stance width it seems like everyone us going wider. I usually just go by shoulder width and my stance ends up alot more narrow but I see people going much wider and I'm going to try and see how I like it

I'm 5' 7" and have gravitated to a 19" stance. I've tried wider and narrower, and neither is good for me. The tendency of board makers to use a 50cm default 4x4 insert pattern as their stock stance puts things at just exactly the wrong place for me. I also find 20cm waist boards too wide, and since I weigh less than 140 all of these things combine to make most "off the rack" boards unsuitable.

19.75" is the correct answer.

(What do I win?)

You win plastic dog poop!!...coiler as they say..

dunno..I been going wider these days expanding and contracting with my curvy body!!.. wide in the early season...then tapered down a bit at the end..

I run with lift..lots of it.. Im at 22.75 inches wide...and love every bit of it.. seems to help give my balls room too!!

RSS

You crack me up Shred. Just remember, if you go too wide, your balls may drag on the ground.

I'm about 6'1" and width is 20.5". But my preference changes some depending on the board. I've had two Doneks and found my preferred stance matched the middle of the inserts in both cases, even though they were different. So apparently Sean knows what he's doing :D

My stance is vary by what board i'm riding.

For new tech./race boards (decambered nose and no or little camber in middle), I use 21" stance.

For old toys (huge camber in middle), I use 18-19" stance.

I generally go by a formula that was posted in Extremecarving.com few times.

Recommending Stance = [(Height / 3.5) + (Inseam x 0.6)] / 2

Most importantly, the above is 'Recommending' stance length to start with. Each individual has one's preference on each board..

Not quite 5'11", inseam of 32", weight around 155 lbs, I ride from 19.5" to 20.5" depending on the board and my appetite for futzing with a measuring tape when I'm setting it up.

I started alpine on an old Original Sin Sinner, which only allowed something like 17.5" as the widest stance. When I got onto modern boards, I went quite wide, in the 21" range, but since then tightened up a bit and now I feel like I'm in my sweet spot. I agree that how much lift you use makes a difference in what feels comfortable.

I generally go by a formula that was posted in Extremecarving.com few times.

Recommending Stance = [(Height / 3.5) + (Inseam x 0.6)] / 2

Damn.

All this time I've been setting my stance too narrow by .05 inches. No wonder I can't seem to get anywhere with my riding.