Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line 2012/13

kieran

As the three of us are carving some nice turns coming down Redeye at Powderhorn Mountain, Colorado, we come to a stop near a respectful skiier and in his snowboarder girlfriend. The skiier says "I just love to watch you guys get down low". What we live to hear! A few weeks ago in Aspen, a skiier friend of mine who was not familiar with apline said "I could see how that would be fun".

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was walking back into the lodge to meet up with SoloSteve on Saturday, carrying the lime green Prior, and two teens were sitting at a picnic table by the door. As I walked past one of them nudged his friend and said "What's up with that?"

"What?"

"That snowboard".

Friend rolls his eyes and says "It's a raceboard, dipsh*t".

Made me grin. :-)

*dropping my board off to get tuned at the local shop yesterday*

one worker to me: dude, thats awesome! I love old stuff like that!!

me: yeah,(insert usual hardboot schpeel here)

worker one to worker two as I'm walking away: Dude, I think a few pros still ride oxygens

worker 2: nah, softies are much better than hardboots.

worker 1, true, there much better for racing and groomers.

I stopped for a second, about to correct them, but then I let them feel smart.

Edited by theboarderdude

So, spent the day skwalling in Courchevel yesterday. Got lots of comments from the lifties along the lines of "that's an endangered species", "holy cow", etc. Then, as I hit the last drag lift of the day (a "téléski difficile" that I'd done at least 3 times), the spotty young oik came out of his cabin, pointed at my board, and said "c'est interdit ici, ce - truc" ("that's forbidden here, that - thing"). He proceded to try and show me how I wasn't allowed to take "his" draglift on a - umm - "thing". Which turned out to be cobblers.

And next time I go to Courch', I'll be hot-gluing woodscrews to the tail of my board first.

I love this! Really? what are people thinking? So funny! Its not our problem that people have to hop our trenches. We got there first. :D

• 2 weeks later...
At Holiday Valley in Western New York the jibbers usually say "cool" when they see the hardboot gear and ask some great questions. I do my best to explain it and try to learn a bit about their gear, too. Never hurts to be an ambassador.

i would say an average of 7 out 10 are dumb questions and usually at the end of day i'm starting to run out of patience. however, to pull the foreign card "me speak english little" always works and there is an odd silence for the rest of the ride :P

i'll be out on sunday, see you there.

While up a Mammoth a few weeks ago, there was a couple behind me and I couldn't help but overhear their conversation. I heard the girl call attention to the board and bindings that I was on, which is not that uncommon. What followed was. The guy obviously didn't know anything about the equipment, but it didn't stop him from explaining things. He went on to say that this equipment was for beginners just learning how to snowboard and the bindings were designed to release in a fall, just like ski boots. I don't know how he came up with this but have to give him some credit. He probably worked in sales. I really don't need validation from strangers and had no interest in making him look like an idiot in front of his girlfriend, so I just ignored the entire thing.

This doesn't really apply ... Wednesday I was riding up the chair in a wet downfall. I noticed that I was getting covered in grease from the wheels above the chair. Then I thought I had gotten a bloody nose because I tasted metal, so I spit, it was black. I realized that grease had dripped into my mouth. Just had to share.

grease from the wheels above the chair

It's not actually grease, rather a mixture of rubber powder and rust that accumulates on the cable and gets washed off the cable onto the suck^H^H^H^Hclients when it rains. Still tastes horrible, though.

Not quite in a lift line, but 2 weeks after I broke my tibia/fibula I was having pretty bad pain and spasms from nerve damage. I went into urgent care to get a prescription to help with nerve pain. The physician I saw asked how I broke my leg and I told her snowboarding. She said that was interesting because this type of injury is more common with skiers. I then went on to explain what alpine snowboarding was and that I was wearing hardboots. She replied with confidence "oh, i know what your talking about, you ride a monoski!" I was in pain and drugged out and just replied "ya sorta."

Also not quite in the lift line;my best friend who is visiting here for the first time in the 9 years we have lived here is talking to his uncle, who lives in Colorado about his day that included the nickel tour of Silver from my two boys.-"Uncle Robert,the runs at Silver Mountain are different;there aren't any greens,and the blues are like your blacks".My buddy is exaggerating a little, but,this has been a point of pride for those of us raising our kids at Silver ;-)

Not really in the lift line but close enough. Me and a fellow carver have been trenching the hell out of our favorite run on Sunday's morning Hero snow conditions. We just got to the top off the chair lift when I heard this over the Ski Patrol radio:

"God damnit Max !!! We're gathering funds to buy you skis so you can stop destroying that run". I guess they just got to the bottom of it :D

I have to admit we trashed it pretty good.

Edited by Maxlanaudiere

Nice! But, a good alpine carver transfered to skis does double the damage ;)

Amen!

Its true though, the transition back to skis has been interesting. With the body positioning, and center of gravity management being fully transferrable...trenchin in no time!

"God damnit Max !!! We're gathering funds to buy you skis so you can stop destroying that run". I guess they just got to the bottom of it :D

I have to admit we trashed it pretty good.

Best feeling ever. There's nothing like spring conditions with five or six of the crew, the sun is shining, the trenches are deep, and you know the grooming crew is gonna be pi**ed.