Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line 2012/13

kieran

Not exactly in the lift line, but a couple of days ago I was at Solitude in Utah and stopped for a breather about halfway down. A skier comes up behind me a says "I love the way you turn, I figure 8'd you the whole way down!", then he gave me a fist bump. I guess skiers and snowboarders are getting along now :p

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one really pissed me off. At Stratton today, i hear from behind me in the lift line a kid on skis say to his dad "Hey day, what kind of board is that?" while he stabs the back of my board with his ski pole. Really?

Really? If that happens to me, I would have wrapped the ski pole around his neck....:flamethro

On the other hand it happened to me several times while waiting in the line people slide on/over my board - leaving markings on the top sheet. This makes my blood to boil...

This one really pissed me off. At Stratton today, i hear from behind me in the lift line a kid on skis say to his dad "Hey day, what kind of board is that?" while he stabs the back of my board with his ski pole. Really?

You can always give back by kicking him in the knee cap and asking what type of pants he's wearing...

I let it go cause the kid was no older than 10. A year older and it would have been certain death.

It was kind of funny cause a lot of people heard and saw it happen. As I was getting on the chair I heard a couple of snowboarders at the front of the line comment to each other "that kid asked what kind of board that was and stabbed the tail of it, not cool."

Edited by keltacer

In the lift-line(my first black run in hard-boots), skier says to me looking at the snowboard,"good to see hard boots". we had a pleasant chat on the subject.:)

Top of the black run, another skier says to me, "I see you're going to carve". He saw the surprise in my face and said, "i'm also a snowboarder and I carve and I use the old fashioned 'clicker' bindings". Again another pleasant chat on the subject.:)

At bottom of another run, liftie stares at my board and says, "that's different". I got yanked away by the poma before I could answer.

:p

Grip tape works great to protect your board, tear up their bases, and prevent them from going too far up your board.

pretty smart, thanks. actually i have purchased a few of the small round shaped step mats/aluminum spikes and placed on several spots on the board. that works too.

today, while riding next to a group of young kids I have heard a pretty loud: what the f@ck is this...? - while looking at my board.

I let it go cause the kid was no older than 10. A year older and it would have been certain death.

It was kind of funny cause a lot of people heard and saw it happen. As I was getting on the chair I heard a couple of snowboarders at the front of the line comment to each other "that kid asked what kind of board that was and stabbed the tail of it, not cool."

A kid about 8 yo, thought my board was a great stopper for his skis, whilst moving forward in the queue. His father was with him. After about the 5th bash into my board, I turned to the child and said in a firm tone, "my board is not here for you to keep bashing into, to stop. So please stop doing it." Then I looked at his father, waiting for a challenge, to which there was none, and the kid stopped doing

Bad manners, and rudeness I cannot abide.

I'm with you 2stroke. Boards although are nice when pristine but I think many here take it too seriously. I am always concerned about my base and edges but reall don't care what happens to the top sheet. After all, boards were made to be ridden. My friends and I are in the habit of buckling in as fast as possible just to say " is that a new board?" While running over the top sheet whenever possible. Bonus points for deep edge engagement.

I always hear old school or speed board. Sadly, it's a new board but the two comments still apply.

I had a great weekend with many positive comments.

"I'm a big fan of your work. Nice carves!" - That made me laugh! The first part was totally dead-pan, second part had a huge smile.

Then, while carrying two boards (167 and 182) to the car at the end of the day, someone in a group said something about my super-wide skis. I mentioned that they're snowboards. One guy loudly proclaims: "No they're not." I just laughed, turned around, and kept going.

slopestar - Really? I think that would start a fight with some of the people I've ridden with. :p I definitely tend towards keeping stuff relatively unscathed, but stuff happens outside your control sometimes.

Corey,

Fortunately I don't ride with my old buddies very often but we have some strange ways of showing our "brotherly love" for each other. They gouges remind us like tattoos or scars remind you of where you have been. My daughter has begun to link turns on the bunny hill with a quiet upper body(so proud) and my son now gouges my top sheet as he is learning to ride. I welcome the scrapes and scuffs everytime we go. Someday ill be able to pose that same silly question to my kids as I leave my mark and vice versa. Maybe some of you will understand? Snowboarding makes me happy and the smiles on my kids faces are priceless!

Then, while carrying two boards (167 and 182) to the car at the end of the day, someone in a group said something about my super-wide skis. I mentioned that they're snowboards. One guy loudly proclaims: "No they're not." I just laughed, turned around, and kept going.

I get this a lot... nearly every session.

a) people tell me what I'm riding or tell others (almost always incorrectly) what I'm riding.

b) people disagree with me about what it is I'm riding.

c) people attempt to tell me the (largely incorrect) history of what I'm riding.

I try to remember no matter how idiotic it seems Monodude must get it 100 times worse!

At Smugglers Knotch in Vermont on Saturday I got a lot of questions, starting with a few park-kids (their boards were in terrible condition) who were really interested in what my board was after confirming that it wasn't a mono-ski. One said he recently started tele-marking because he wanted to try something different.

More interesting though were the classes that I would bump into in the lift line. The nine-year olds were really interested in what the board was and when they could try one. Their teachers seemed very supportive and interested too, except one who told his class it was a "Nordic Board" and that my heels were not attached to the bindings. And as they were all interested in the board, they were really careful not to bump their boards against it, and one of their teachers even reminded them to be careful!

So, spent the day skwalling in Courchevel yesterday. Got lots of comments from the lifties along the lines of "that's an endangered species", "holy cow", etc. Then, as I hit the last drag lift of the day (a "téléski difficile" that I'd done at least 3 times), the spotty young oik came out of his cabin, pointed at my board, and said "c'est interdit ici, ce - truc" ("that's forbidden here, that - thing"). He proceded to try and show me how I wasn't allowed to take "his" draglift on a - umm - "thing". Which turned out to be cobblers.

And next time I go to Courch', I'll be hot-gluing woodscrews to the tail of my board first.