Note to New Members ×

Im about to officially cancel winter

Bobby Buggs

This season was pretty short but to my mind, it was a pretty great carving season. It would have been nice if the temps stayed down throughout the season so that the base could have built up faster, but the lack of natural snow + freeze thaw meant consistently firm surfaces to carve on. There were one or two days where things were kind of crappy (and two when we got dumped on) but for the most part, almost every day I was on the mountain this season was a ripper. Also the "no snow in my backyard" phenomenon seemed to keep *alot* of people off the mountain on the weekends. I can only remember one day this season where it was too crowded to carve comfortably. It was a short season but I had an awesome time and it was fun :). Of course, it would be better if it got cooler earlier, stayed cool, and stayed cooler longer so that the mountains and the businesses and towns that depend upon them for income would have a better season in terms of income.

That's pretty much my experience in MN. A few bad days, but mostly good carving conditions. Albeit too sort a season.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70 degrees at Sugarloaf today, with more of that nonsense in the forecast. We are supposed to go up again next weekend for the last weekend of our kids' (prepaid) ski school programs. I'm afraid the mountain will be closed. Never seen this before. There has been more snow at the end of April in years past.

I'm done. The last local ski hill closed today. :( This is the 4th season since I've started riding alpine that I've got a new (to me) board that I haven't been able to ride before the season is over. Maybe I should buy boards later in the season? LOL!

still looking good here in the southern selkirks with 3weeks of lift serve left to go.

• Base Depth
  • Lower Elevation 113"
  • Mid Elevation 141"
  • Upper Elevation 184"
  • Season Snowfall 321"

• Runs & Trails
  • Runs Open 92
  • Acres Open 2900
  • Lifts Open 7
  • Surface Snow Powder
  • Hours of Operation 9am - 4pm

Took the second half of the kids March break off and stayed at Blue Mountain. Sunny every day with temps hitting almost 70. Rode in T-shirts for the last 5 days. The snow was surprisingly firm, and not just soft mush.

Blue is saying the last day is April 9th, but I'm not sure they can make it that far if the weather stays like this. Either way I'm done. A great end to the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Aspen is Toast. brown everywhere..top is ok if you like hard snow I suppose that swaps for loose wet granular... according to a woman I spoke with yesterday. All boards stripped and stored.

2011-2012 pretty much the winter that never really was.... It could ahve been great if we had the skills of East Coast groomers.... but here in Aspen- they pushed it around to get coverage but had no idea how to make the snow really skiable compared to say..... Magic Mountain that would recover after a rain storm and freeze or Stratton... it was East Coast bulletproof for a large part of the year.

Edited by John Gilmour

boo hoo..... all our places are closing..... last weekend and this weekend..... I don't know about everywhere, but Lookout Pass (where I teach) closed on Saturday with not even a bare spot on the hill!!!! UGH!!! I remember my days in Pennsylvania where we were connecting the dots in the middle of March and calling it a good season!!! I wish everyone here was a "die-hard" and had money to spend..... maybe we'd still be open for awhile!