Note to New Members ×

11 Busted at Steamboat

Pat Donnelly

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Randy S.

At Alpine Meadows I've "heard" there's a Map Reading tree off the Summit lift. The hilarious (sort of) part is that most of the folks I know who go "map reading" are parents of kids on ski team.

Guest stickmansurf

I guess we should start watching for "lift marshalls."

Something similar happened during my first winter in Vail (91-92). My roommate and I were riding the covered chairlift called the Vista Bahn (AKA the Rasta Bahn for obvious reasons). My roomy lit up when one of our other riders on the quad informed him that "I put people in jail for that." It turned out to be Town of Vail judge, Buck Allen. He was pretty cool about it, but my roommate was pretty freaked-out........pot induced paranoia, perhaps?

Think east-coast snow!!

Stickman

I used to smoke (a lot). I am not going to 12 step thump or anything like that. I think people should be allowed to partake if it is in the right circumstances.

I happen to believe that when you are traveling 25 - 50mph with a metal edged wing strapped to your feet is not one of those times when I want someone loaded up on anything next to me.

I was on a gondola (I think it was last year) and some guy was bragging about how drunk he was. This was not some skatepunk, he was about 50 years old and probably a die hard skier. Frankly, I could give a rats butt if he was wearing a gold medal around his neck for Chinese Downhill, I got off the gondola and grabbed ski patrol. Several other people on the gondola were pretty put off by his arrogance as well.

My point is, if you are loaded and injure me on the slopes, you better have some deep pockets for legal fees.

used to have a picnic table on the back side of the mountain behind the Summit lodge that was nice and secluded...it was a well known bake zone (oh my degenerate youth) if anyone in authority ever walked in on you the "evidence" could be droped over the cliff...not that I ever...:D

Originally posted by MozzMann

Call me an old coot but isn't MJ just as bad as Driving drunk, and if so why put other's on the mountain in dangeras well as yourself just because you want to bong-on (Aussie slang for tokein' ).

Okay, you're an old coot. =)

The fact is that intoxication by cannabis does NOT cause the deleterious effects on motor control that intoxication by alcohol does, despite your (and others') assumptions on this thread. Multiple studies have shown that stoned drivers are not only better than drunk drivers, but actually better than SOBER drivers:

http://www.answergurus.com/blog/archives/000040.html

http://www.cannabisculture.com/library/hparchive/Stoneddriversaresafedrivers.html

I have a "friend" who has been known to smoke on the hill... always in such a way as to be unobstrusive and inoffensive (who lights up in a gondola with a bunch of strangers?!?). He finds, quite honestly, that he is a better boarder with a bit of a buzz on. He is more relaxed and able to concentrate on the matter at hand - carving.

I know others who feel the same way.

I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone the same way, and certainly I know people who I wouldn't want to see anywhere in control of any moving object while stoned, but to say that it is the same as being drunk is just way off base.

Having a cannabis buzz does not in any way mean you are out of control or a danger to yourself or others on the hill.

does this quote from the above links not make sense to anybody else?

"A massive 1998 study by the University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia analyzed blood samples from 2,500 accidents, and found that drivers with cannabis in their system were actually slightly less likely to cause accidents than those without."

I worked at steamboat and two of the people I worked with got busted smoking weed on the clock both were team leaders or whatever they called that position

neither of them got fired when they should of

honestly being a lifty hitting a stop or not can mean a femur to a skier or when we are doing checks or pulling chairs a arm

so these GUESTS get law involved thats whacked you consider how they deal with the people responsible for your safety with a two week suspension

I do have no sympathy though skiing is not the time to be wasted its stupid

He finds, quite honestly, that he is a better boarder with a bit of a buzz on. He is more relaxed and able to concentrate on the matter at hand - carving

disclaimer: I have no idea who your friend is, I'm merely just throwing some throughts out. =)

sounds just like a thread on snowboard.com (mainly a kid/teenie site). I really don't care if he smokes or not, but I just don't buy the whole "I'm better when I do" theory. The snowboard.com people say "I'm not afraid to hit the jump when I'm high," which IMO is even dumber.

Is your friend serious about becoming a good rider? If not or if he's a pothead, then stop reading here. If so, than I say to him ride, ride, ride. Confront Reality, acknowledge your weakness and work on it. So he wants to become more relaxed? that's fine, seems pretty normal, maybe he should think about what makes him wired to begin with. Basically address the root of the problem, not the symptom. Of course a lot of people don't confront reality and live in their own little worlds. I don't have a lot of respect as a snowboarder for riders who use this "it relaxes me" excuse. But then again, I like to be psyched to ride, not really laid back, but in the zone. The mind plays a big role, here, too.

I agree it's not nearly as bad as riding drunk, but for his own safety, I doubt he's as aware of his surroundings (vs. not smoking up). And I'm not saying being a pothead and a good rider is a mutually exclusive relationship.

hopefully I didnt' start a war....(but I am unusually talkative today =) )

===

Barry

Board Sports Surfing Skateboarding and finally Snowboarding have had a long long history with Mary Jane...it's probably performance enhancing to some but regardless you are as likely to see a Ganga free surf/skate/snowboard world as you are to see Bill Clinton admit to having sexual relations. And in truth the weed induced creativity is probably more responsible for snowboarding than anything else (for certain Tom Sims smoked)

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by trailertrash

does this quote from the above links not make sense to anybody else?

"A massive 1998 study by the University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia analyzed blood samples from 2,500 accidents, and found that drivers with cannabis in their system were actually slightly less likely to cause accidents than those without."

'Cause they are so damn paranoid about getting pulled over!

Ahhh, the feeling of nostalgia...

Try surfing in shark country after burning one. Jumping out of your skin at every little ripple. Heaven help you if your leg gets snagged by a piece of kelp.

T.

Originally posted by thomas_m

'Cause they are so damn paranoid about getting pulled over!

Ahhh, the feeling of nostalgia...

Try surfing in shark country after burning one. Jumping out of your skin at every little ripple. Heaven help you if your leg gets snagged by a piece of kelp.

T.

Doesn't stop folks in Hawaii where shark deaths are a yearly thing (gotta love those Tiger Sharks)...

I was in Perth in April and they had a big campaign going on in Australia trying to inform people what was legal and what wasn't as far and use and cultivation of Herb. I won't try to explain it because it was all very confusing (all Aussie politics are to me) but what I did come away with was the feeling that they don't think of pot as a drug any more than alcohol...To them Heroin is a problem drug that requires government control/intervention.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Gecko

Doesn't stop folks in Hawaii where shark deaths are a yearly thing (gotta love those Tiger Sharks)...

I was in Perth in April and they had a big campaign going on in Australia trying to inform people what was legal and what wasn't as far and use and cultivation of Herb. I won't try to explain it because it was all very confusing (all Aussie politics are to me) but what I did come away with was the feeling that they don't think of pot as a drug any more than alcohol...To them Heroin is a problem drug that requires government control/intervention.

Didn't/doesn't stop people here in WA either but then again we don't really have any Great Whites, or at least not that many...

The police don't treat MJ as a drug much here either as long as you're only carrying enough for personal usage. I don't puff any more since the chances are pretty good I'll have to pee in a cup someday because of my job and I'm trying to set a fairly temperent example for my kids. Actually, I prefer red red wine anyway so no big loss for me.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002008398_hempfest18m.html

T.

are allowed 2 plants plus whatever is held for personal use...that alone had me thinking about moving down under (there were other more law abiding reasons as well)...I haven't smoke for 15 years and I won't for at least another 5 (the pee in a cup thing for the US Navy) but I honestly don't care one way or another about those who do. I can see me toking maybe once a year after I retire unless I get a Gov job and then I won't miss it. Red wine (Shiraz lately), Single malt and Port do it for me now anyway.

Originally posted by Gecko

are allowed 2 plants plus whatever is held for personal use...

I wish!

What you say is roughly true for South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, but not for the other states (unless Western Australia has changed recently).

The mountains in Australia are in New South Wales and Victoria, where the drug laws are strict, so if we had a gondola you'd have to take care not to get caught smoking in it.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

I wish!

What you say is roughly true for South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, but not for the other states (unless Western Australia has changed recently).

The mountains in Australia are in New South Wales and Victoria, where the drug laws are strict, so if we had a gondola you'd have to take care not to get caught smoking in it.

OK that was part of the "Australia politics are confusing to me" statement...now that you mention it WA had something different (still not too strict on pot) but as they were discussing it the footie game started and we quit talking about it...Go Dockers