Note to New Members ×

11 Busted at Steamboat

Pat Donnelly

into the trenches now....this thread has taken on a life of its own...sweet.

I have to say some of your posts are pretty funny. Some real logic being thrown around, challenging mainstream beliefs, morals, etc, brings me back to college =).

I can't really say I'd feel threatened (skills wise) if I was racing against someone who was high, but if it's included in a list of banned substances and I lose to them, then yes I'd be angry and they should not be declared the winner.

This proposed experiment could be entertaining- need video of it! lol. get the crazy labcoat guy..I think his name is Garrett.

D-Sub, I agree and disagree with some of your points, but it seems that you are ragging JohnStew while admitting to doing this yourself:

you know...I play 8 and 9 ball competitively sometimes, and I know _for a fact_ that if I can drop a valium and drink a beer or two I will play 150% better than sober. I think too much when sober, and I question my skills. Get me a little buzzed on mild downers and Im the epitome of confidence

perhaps I misread?

the thing is, no one is perfect, athletically or mentally, and life is meant to be enjoyed, so I think it's natural to want to do someting (pot in this case) to enhance one's experiences and/or abilities. The possible side effects to others, and the "morality" of some of these performance enhancing activities/substances is obviously a big arguement here (and in general), but I think we should try to limit this thread from getting too "morality" based, that just reeks of trouble.

JohnStewart, your argument I found interesting b/c you are questioning the widely held belief that pot does not have performance decreasing affects. At the very least, it's certainly a known fact that smoking anything is harmful, and can well all agree that long term pot use certainly doesn't help any brain activities? Who here has known some burn out who's been smoking for ages? And again, just for the record, I think it should be legal, I'm not an older conservative guy. I've even been to Amsterdam =) (and had a great time)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johnsteweart, your arguments have been presented with admirable clarity, and I find them persuasive. But I have to admit that I agreed with what you are saying from the start. :)

One issue:

Originally posted by johnstewart

Are performance-enhancing drugs, in general, unfair?

In my opinion, yes

How about performance-enhancing nutrition? Performance-enhancing training? Performance-enhancing equipment?

Why are performance-enhancing drugs unfair, but performance-enhancing otherstuff OK?

If a performance-enhancing drug was harmful to your health, I can see how athletes would want a regime in place where it was illegal to take that drug. They wouldn't want to <i>have</i> to take a harmful drug in order to be competitive. But steroids, in moderate amounts, are not particularly harmful, and certainly no more harmful than the punishing regime of performance-enhancing training that many elite athletes undergo.

Edit: D-sub, your BJ comment was a classic. I've gotta remember that one every time somebody tells me not to do something because it's illegal.

lol, this is so off topic. anyway Baka, would you care to test your statement out, lol

But steroids, in moderate amounts, are not particularly harmful

I've heard this too, but if I were in a posistion where I was maybe thinking about it, I still wouldn't want to take the risk of something happening. And besides, I think that most guy juicing wanna get stupid big, which requires taking the stuff over time and probably at lesat moderate amounts. How big were Giambi and Bonds before they started juicing? once they stop, their gains dissapear (like Giambi).

===

Barry

Originally posted by johnstewart

Yes, I am referring to the "lazy" comment.

I think that expressing an opinion that someone else's choices are lazy is a moral judgement, yes.

Heck, based on the fact that you find it harder to get into the "zone" via cannabis ingestion (due to your paranoia), I could argue that it's lazy for you to give up on it as a means to find your "zone"! But I personally wouldn't pass judgement that you are lazy, as you seem to have done to those who choose to smoke cannabis to heighten their enjoyment of and performance in snowboarding.

I wasnt calling anyone lazy or passing judgement. far from it! Its just...heck...the substances arent necessary! The skills are THERE, obviously...its not like weed is magic...its just a "key" in this instance, allowing one to get past whatever it is. The lazy part is...aww fck it you know what I mean:)

Originally posted by Barry

D-Sub, I agree and disagree with some of your points, but it seems that you are ragging JohnStew while admitting to doing this yourself:

you know...I play 8 and 9 ball competitively sometimes, and I know _for a fact_ that if I can drop a valium and drink a beer or two I will play 150% better than sober. I think too much when sober, and I question my skills. Get me a little buzzed on mild downers and Im the epitome of confidence

perhaps I misread?

I am kinda just ragging JS a little...Im not anti pot in the slightest. wake n bake potheads annoy me, but only because its so damn obvious their hiding from something.

BUT...you did _sorta_ misread. I _dont_ ever do this when Im playing in tournaments, simply because I want to know what level I can get to 100% "me"

when Im out partyin, drinkin a little and get ahold of the occasional diezapam (sp?) I might pop one simply because I dont really care about results so much then. I can stomp all over pretty much anyone in that frame of mind and do it calmly and slowly.

I guess my main point is...competition should be done clean and clear IMO while "casual" endeavors are open to interpretation:)

Edit: D-sub, your BJ comment was a classic. I've gotta remember that one every time somebody tells me not to do something because it's illegal.

heh. Im not a big fan of legislating personal behavior based on morality. Not a big fan of laws really, and legality is simply something on paper.

before anyone flips out..just dont bother. Im not saying make murder legal:) I just dont think we need a law for every single little thing, and telling people what to do with their bodies is ridiculous.

Originally posted by thomas_m

Try surfing in shark country after burning one. Jumping out of your skin at every little ripple. Heaven help you if your leg gets snagged by a piece of kelp.

T.

LOL..I'm like that without burning one. I've been bumped too many times and have had seals and sea lions pop up way too close for comfort.

________

Anal double

That is wrong to bust anyone for smoking weed. Especially in this case. Losing their passes over it is ridiculous.

Lets look at the abuse of alcohol while skiing and riding. And you can do that in the gondolla. There is a double standard.

Moderate pot use is harmless. Smoking weed on the slopes is the hidden secret we all know is going on or participate in. And if any of you pass up on a joint or hit being handed your way thats okay too. I would definitely have the pipe ready to burn before getting in the gondi. I'd smoke in there just to say I did it.

Its really too bad those riders got busted. They should have kept it down. Maybe smoked a bowl instead of a joint to reduce the smoke content.

And for the record, "I don't think I ride better when I'm stoned, I know I ride better when I'm stoned." That was a quote from Jonny Thrash in the Ski Bums doctumentary I own.

Moderate pot use is harmless

I hope we can all agree on this- the lungs statement, that is. Speaking of, I'd like to see how many guys here smoke cigarettes (regularly or socially)? I'd assume not many. If you do, please let us know if you feel any effects when riding.

thx,

Barry

Originally posted by Barry

Moderate pot use is harmless

I hope we can all agree on this- the lungs statement, that is. Speaking of, I'd like to see how many guys here smoke cigarettes (regularly or socially)? I'd assume not many. If you do, please let us know if you feel any effects when riding.

thx,

Barry

Smoking is bad for my lungs and I know it...that said I tend to cut down or stop in the winter when I'm boarding and in the summer when I'm skating a lot...I didn't smoke much at all during the three years I was stationed in Pearl...Surfing and smoking really don't mix, I needed all the lungs I could get when I had duck dive big waves (or when I got "Maytaged" and needed to grab the reef).

That labcoat comment brought back some memories. I used to see a hard booter at N* who ripped, he was easy to spot in his white labcoat flappin like a cape. I always thought when I got good enough, I would wear my labcoat while carving. I've got the labcoats, but I'm still waiting for my ability to catch up.

That study on stoned drivers was funny. I once heard that the worst thing that happens to stoned drivers is "that they miss their exit on the freeway". Great, so they drive down a few miles, then get off, then get back on, then get off again...that is the worst of it? I think not.

Drinking and driving, smoking and driving, eating and driving, cell phone and driving, kids yelling and driving, it all sounds bad.

Rock on,

Hugh

Originally posted by Hugh

That study on stoned drivers was funny. I once heard that the worst thing that happens to stoned drivers is "that they miss their exit on the freeway". Great, so they drive down a few miles, then get off, then get back on, then get off again...that is the worst of it? I think not.

Drinking and driving, smoking and driving, eating and driving, cell phone and driving, kids yelling and driving, it all sounds bad.

you ever heard the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver...

the drunk driver runs the stop sign and the stoned driver sits there and waits for it to turn green...